The sky's the limit for Eric Morris at North Texas

Jonnyeagle

That fact pattern tells us it takes an elite coach to emerge a winner at North Texas, and that UNT is low enough on the totem pole that coaches will leave for better options.

And yet. The indoor facility is really, really nice. Apogee Stadium, built in 2011, is still one of the nicest in the country for its size. Littrell made nearly $2 million, near the top of C-USA. The Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex produces as much high school talent as any area in the nation, enough that North Texas should have no trouble nabbing its share either in the first go-round (high school recruiting) or the second (the portal).

Why shouldn't North Texas look at those fact patterns and think it couldn't do better than 7-7?

"I don't know any reason that we can't. This is a team that I just watched compete with Boise State at a very high level this past weekend," Morris said. "The pieces are in place right now, we're going to have to add a couple here and there to continue to develop and grow these kids. This is not a program that's broken. I just think it needs a little shot in the arm. I've been in the American (as a Houston assistant for two years). I know what the talent pool in that conference looks like and I know what we have on our roster, and I think that we can get to the top of that conference extremely fast." 

Read more:  https://footballscoop.com/news/eric-morris-north-texas-american-athletic-conference

Edited by Jonnyeagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

Excellent article. 

Vito, take note.......

"Littrell's final game at North Texas came in the Conference USA Championship. 

But North Texas did not win that C-USA title, nor any in his six seasons that came before this one, nor any of the five bowl games in which Littrell led the Mean Green." 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Great article.   My favorite part

"The American has claimed the Group of 5's designated New Year's Six bowl bid in six of the eight years of the College Football Playoff system's existence, including the past six seasons. It's the only G-5 league to put a team in the 4-team Playoff field. Beginning in 2024, winning the American will mean a bid to the 12-team Playoff more often than not."

• Upvote 5

On 12/22/2022 at 8:05 PM, Dannymacfan said:

Great article.   My favorite part

"The American has claimed the Group of 5's designated New Year's Six bowl bid in six of the eight years of the College Football Playoff system's existence, including the past six seasons. It's the only G-5 league to put a team in the 4-team Playoff field. Beginning in 2024, winning the American will mean a bid to the 12-team Playoff more often than not."

I’m not picking on you but those points always bother me. The AAC didn’t claim 6 of 8 spots. Cincy, UCF and Houston claimed them and they have as much to do with North Texas as Alabama and Ohio St do. Of those 6, Cincy had 2, UCF had 2 and UH had 1. Memphis is the only one that we can claim in that point. (Tulane makes a second one….but that includes opponents that are going to the big 12)

5 of those 6 are not in OUR AAC so that stat means nothing.

Those are big 12 teams. We’re going to the AAC in name but it’s half CUSA now. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS! 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I’m not picking on you but those points always bother me. The AAC didn’t claim 6 of 8 spots. Cincy, UCF and Houston claimed them and they have as much to do with North Texas as Alabama and Ohio St do. Of those 6, Cincy had 2, UCF had 2 and UH had 1. Memphis is the only one that we can claim in that point. (Tulane makes a second one….but that includes opponents that are going to the big 12)

Those are big 12 teams. We’re going to the AAC in name but it’s half CUSA now

MERRY CHRISTMAS! 

True, but it's the better half of C-USA.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

MERRY CHRISTMAS! 

While true of the teams, the fact remains that the winner of the AAC was the team that got in.  Since those teams are moving up it's not like they will still be in the running for that honor of representing the G5.  So fact still remains that the winner of the AAC will still be in a very good position to enter the playoffs.  It's basically a two horse race between the AAC and the Sunbelt.  CUSA and the MAC will not be there most years.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

While true of the teams, the fact remains that the winner of the AAC was the team that got in.  Since those teams are moving up it's not like they will still be in the running for that honor of representing the G5.  So fact still remains that the winner of the AAC will still be in a very good position to enter the playoffs.  It's basically a two horse race between the AAC and the Sunbelt.  CUSA and the MAC will not be there most years.

Agree

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

MERRY CHRISTMAS! 

No offense man but do you not understand that teams said the same thing about Houston and UCF and Cincy when they joined the American which was on the heels of the Big East walking away from football?  They said all the good teams were leaving your league and so you suck etc... The truth is, Tulane is a top notch program in the top 20 and will likely stay there with Fritz at the helm.  SMU is SMU but they have tons of money and history... UTSA could be big and they are consistently top 25.. UAB is stout year in and their basketball team may be the best in the league... I agree Charlotte and Rice are nothing special in football but each brings certain good aspects like Rice academics and Charlotte's location TV market... I think Memphis may be on the cusp of a P5 move..  You seem like you want to take away what the America has done which is propel teams into bigger leagues.  They also are the only G5 conference that had a team in the playoffs which is big.  Please stop trying to downgrade our new conference or at least be fair with your criticism.

• Upvote 2