Mean Green MOVIEOLA: Check Out This DVD!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be old news to most of you guys, but I just found out that "To Hell And Back" is coming out on DVD.

Big news for me, as that's one of my favorites. Now if they'd only get "Sgt. York" on DVD!!!!

Fanof49, was that the movie title on the marquee at the Texas Theatre where the Dallas police apprehended Lee Harvey Oswald?

It seems the word "hell" was in the title of whatever the movie?

It is great to see the older movies finding new life on DVD, though.

Any M.D. or D.O. serving internship should have to watch this movie as part of their training. Be a good idea for all medical personnel to watch this movie for that matter BUT......most definitely a great flick for all of us non-doctors to see, too.

Movie: "The Doctor"

Starring William Hurt, Christine Lahti and Elizabeth Perkins

Storyline: An aloof California surgeon becomes a cancer patient and begins to see things differently.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Fanof49, was that the movie title on the marquee at the Texas Theatre where the Dallas police apprehended Lee Harvey Oswald?

It seems the word "hell" was in the title of whatever the movie?

It is great to see the older movies finding new life on DVD, though.

A trivia buff......I am not!! biggrin.gif

But I doubt that was the movie playing...or it was a re-run. "To Hell and Back" premered in 1955. It was the story of Audie Murphy, a Congressional Medal of Honor winner from WWII. A great movie of someone too young and too scrawny to be in the armed services, but he had enough heart to overcome those things.

If you haven't seen this movie, it's a MUST SEE.

My father got me hooked on old war movies when I was very young. (He was in WWII). He also gave me a (Murphy) signed first edition of "To Hell and Back". Audie Murphy is one of his heroes.

Edit: I can't believe I mis-spelled his first name. My Father would slap me for that. sad.gif

Edited by Fanof49

I had to check...just to make sure.

Yeah, he was the most decorated.

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.js...e%2Fmurphy1.htm

He killed 240 enemy soldiers, was wounded three times, and earned an astonishing 33 awards and medals, including the Medal of Honor.

Even France and Belgium presented him with 5 decorations.

And he was only 21 years old at the end of the war!

Sorry to mess up this thread talking about one movie...I'll let it go now.

Edited by Fanof49

• 2 weeks later...
Cold Mountain was a very good film. The opening act was bordering on dreadful, but once you hit the 40 minute mark or so the film improved dramatically. Really well acted all aound(Renee's win was well earned), and technically superior. The cinematography especially was top notch.

I agree, CMJ. Bought the dvd yesterday and watched it shortly thereafter. I'm always amazed how film makers can create such realistic battle scenes. Think it would be fun to be an extra in one. Then, if someone tells you to "drop dead," you can always say, "I already did!"

Great cast, and even Natalie Portman in a brief episode!

Renee Z certainly deserved the Oscar. She made it seem very real.

Was at the Weatherford, Texas, Wal Mart this Saturday AM and bought the DVD "Cold Mountain" for $15.95.

It is a 2 disk set and the features on Disk 2 are outstanding with a complete concert of the music of the movie as part of that disk. Interesting that it was filmed in Romania as I could have sworn it looked like parts of the Deep South I've been.

I saw "Cold Mountain" last Christmas Day when it opened in theatres nation-wide. Loved the music compiled by Fort Worth's T-Bone Burnett. He put together some fine singers and ensembles to perfrom the mountain music, ie, more blue grass and even sacred harp singing such as that that came from the Deep South's fundamental churches during the Civil War years (before and after). Heard my mother talk about sacred harp music of Alabama (where she was born and where I still have many, many relatives) all my life and the flick "Cold Mountain" allowed me to hear it for the first time.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Another place to find T-Bone Burnett involved is the Roy Orbison video "Black and White." It's a few years old now but has Orbison backed up by Burnett, Rick Springfield, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, and others including a trio of backup singers you will recognize when you see'm. Well worth the money.

Also bought "Cold Mountain." Enjoyed the music also and the great acting by the cast, including Renee Zellweger. Even Jude Law had lost his British accent for this movie.

Here's another vote for Cold Mountain....great movie!

Here's a warning...

There's a new movie out "Gettysburg: Three Days of Destiny"....do yourself a favor and save those $. I made it maybe 15 minutes in, and had to turn it off. Pitiful. When a soldier in camp 'broke out in song' like in a musical, that was all I could take. The 'acting' was pathetic.

Spiderman 2 was very good but definately not movie of the year.

Will view Cold Mountain tomorrow night.

Just saw Secret Window and The Butterfly Effect: two very disturbing movies with some twists not great but if you like some suspense then they will satisfice. cool.gif

Edited by untbowler

Here's another vote for Cold Mountain....great movie!

Here's a warning...

There's a new movie out "Gettysburg: Three Days of Destiny"....do yourself a favor and save those $. I made it maybe 15 minutes in, and had to turn it off. Pitiful. When a soldier in camp 'broke out in song' like in a musical, that was all I could take. The 'acting' was pathetic.

How funny (or ironic), Fanof49, I rented that same movie and almost turned the damn thing off about the same time you did! The producers of this farce might as well have had the Confederates soldiers break into a selection from "A Chorus Line! LOL!

I guess they rode the wave of popularity of the other fairly recent Civil War movies and got at least 2 of us suckered in, eh?sad.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to see Bicentennial Man. It was on ABC a couple of weeks ago (maybe a month?), but I DVR'd it.

Great movie. Interesting parallels to what "humans" face in regards to acceptance in every day life. Love and death focal points of the movie as well.

I'll have to say that this movie is right up there with What Dreams May Come as one of Robin Williams greatest movies in his career. While he has always been a great comedian, I love to see when someone like that steps outside of themselves and makes a great serious movies. Kinda like what Jim Carey did with The Majestic and The Truman Show.

Edited by UNTFan23

"Cold Mountain" is an excellent movie of the life and times near the end of the Civil War, even if it was filmed in Romania! And no, that isn't a place just south of Bogalusa LA. It was better than I anticipated.

With Marlon Brando's passing I went and ordered a movie to remind me of his work, "The Last Tango in Paris." Hijo Mio! There's a lot of interesting dialogue and nudity but Brando's method acting made it seem real and emotional. Worth seeing if you haven't already or recently. Also, the language was "ripe." Brilliance does shine throough however.

• 2 weeks later...

"Cold Mountain" is an excellent movie of the life and times near the end of the Civil War, even if it was filmed in Romania!    And no, that isn't a place just south of Bogalusa LA.    It was better than I anticipated.

With Marlon Brando's passing I went and ordered a movie to remind me of his work, "The Last Tango in Paris."    Hijo Mio!  There's a lot of interesting dialogue and nudity but Brando's method acting made it seem real and emotional.    Worth seeing if you haven't already or recently.    Also, the language was "ripe."      Brilliance does shine throough however.

Saw "The Last Tango in Paris" on The Dish recently. Wonder whatever happened to the young girl with all the hair on her, uh, head? She seemed to have disappeared after that movie.

ON ANOTHER WATER FRONT:sad.gif

Has anyone seen the latest "Manchurian Candidate" movie with Denzel playing Frank's part? How do the 2 compare?

Maria Schneider was born in Paris in 1952 (No, not Paris TX!) She stared with Jack Nicholson in "The Passenger" in 1974.

She seems to have been active in movies and plays up to 2002. Haven't seen any thing she's been in recently. Her role in "Last Tango..." was "uplifting" to put it mildly!

• 4 weeks later...