The number is 9 now

Eagleisland

"Because it's the AD's responsibility to" seems like a scapegoat argument when you have nothing else to lean on.

I thought bowl games were rewards - gifts, if you will - for teams that did well.  Suggesting that the AD is supposed to go out there and sell our program to potential suitors is weird to me.  Like telling your friend he needs to write an essay to his parents explaining why he is entitled to a specific gift at Christmas.

I get the counterpoint: this is not a gift exchange and we're paying this guy (Wren) tons of money, but the debate wigs me out.  Where do we draw the line of reasonable expectations when it comes to Wren's responsibilities?  I'd rather be discussing how we can win bigger, better, and more often than split hairs about the AD's role in politicking post-season.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, untbowler said:

We got blown in 4 of 5 games we played good competition. Iowa sleepwalked by us, an below average SMU team put up 50+, FAU easily could have put 70+ in both games but tapped the brakes, Troy bullied on both sides of ball putting up 50 with out 3 of their better players, only good team team beat was Army and that was a shoot-out. 

The naysayers would be fine if we were competitive in games against good competition, but the team was not competitive and FAU and SMU games score was closer because of garbage time TD's. 

If you can't see winning 9 games is #newdenton then you are clueless and don't understand UNT history. Over 53 years of FBS football, we've averaged just over 4 wins. 9 wins, winning our division and playing in the championship game? That's #newdenton. Anyone claiming less, does so out of ignorance of the facts. And those "average" teams we "barely" beat, have historically stomped us.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

"Because it's the AD's responsibility to" seems like a scapegoat argument when you have nothing else to lean on.

I thought bowl games were rewards - gifts, if you will - for teams that did well.  Suggesting that the AD is supposed to go out there and sell our program to potential suitors is weird to me.  Like telling your friend he needs to write an essay to his parents explaining why he is entitled to a specific gift at Christmas.

I get the counterpoint: this is not a gift exchange and we're paying this guy (Wren) tons of money, but the debate wigs me out.  Where do we draw the line of reasonable expectations when it comes to Wren's responsibilities?  I'd rather be discussing how we can win bigger, better, and more often than split hairs about the AD's role in politicking post-season.

Isn’t the point to get the most pub for the team? Isn’t it the AD job to do what is best for the program such as increasing ticket sales, increasing donor rates, etc?

I get pleasing the players but this program is funded by donors and students and not by the players via  media/TV deals.. 

Playing Troy is a great matchup in terms of the team but again it’s at a terrible time, the conference match up is terrible and this a flashback from the past.. We saw the fans respond negatively to this match up and the blowouts to end the year will not help.. the AD office got the invite and ran with it before seeing the full list of options, and I know this for a fact..  

Pretty hard to grow your brand when you are pissing off fans..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

If you can't see winning 9 games is #newdenton then you are clueless and don't understand UNT history. Over 53 years of FBS football, we've averaged just over 4 wins. 9 wins, winning our division and playing in the championship game? That's #newdenton. Anyone claiming less, does so out of ignorance of the facts. And those "average" teams we "barely" beat, have historically stomped us.

The point is we won multiple games by single digits.. you usually go 50/50 on that and we won them all.. so history says we likely won’t have it go our way next year.. if we lose 2/3 of those games we are at 6-7 wins and this #NewDenton that it’s champ or bust isn’t even considered..

• Downvote 5

9 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Yep. And that’s the point when you are trying to actually build something, which is what the AD should be trying to do. 

The whole “we are trying to win10 games to say we won 10 games” was 1) stupid and 2) something literally no one cared about. 

It was stupid because Troy was CLEARLY the better team and there was no chance to win the game. No one cared because it was Troy.

Just another mark in the long list of opportunities lost at UNT. I mean, it’s literally what we do.

On a side note, I see a poster bullied Ben by posting personal information publicly. It appears he wasn’t disciplined for it. It sad this place has devolved into a shaming mechanism for anyone that dares question UNT athletics. It’s a shame it’s allowed. It’s a shame it’s participated in by those who should certainly know better. But such is the state of this forum these days. Thank God There is alternate place to post.

No one ever said trying to win 10 was a driver. Where do you come up with this stuff?

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Isn’t the point to get the most pub for the team? Isn’t it the AD job to do what is best for the program such as increasing ticket sales, increasing donor rates, etc?

I get pleasing the players but this program is funded by donors and students and not by the players via  media/TV deals.. 

Playing Troy is a great matchup in terms of the team but again it’s at a terrible time, the conference match up is terrible and this a flashback from the past.. We saw the fans respond negatively to this match up and the blowouts to end the year will not help.. the AD office got the invite and ran with it before seeing the full list of options, and I know this for a fact..  

Pretty hard to grow your brand when you are pissing off fans..

"You know for a fact." - First clue that you know nothing about the process. There are a couple people on here that do have inside connections because they are the donors that really fund program and they have outlined the process but you refuse listen because it doesn't fit your narrative.

• Upvote 1

Just now, meangreenJW said:

"You know for a fact." - First clue that you know nothing about the process. There are a couple people on here that do have inside connections because they are the donors that really fund program and they have outlined the process but you refuse listen because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Right because I work with the people that made the selection and people that were in on the meetings.. you do you man! 

• Downvote 4

29 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

stop using this damn 2 years ago.. it’s so old and dumb.. This staff has had a # of their guys playing.. 2 of the 3 LBs are Reffs Guys, 3 of the 5 DBs are reffs Guys, 3 young DL in the rotation are Reff guys..

3 of the 5 OL are SL Guys, QB was SL Guy, 2 of the 3 main RBs (Smith and Johnson) are SL Guys.. 4 of the top 5 WRs are SL Guys.. the only spot not SL guys are the TEs.. 

the logic we say look far we have come is great but this is SL squad and his guys. Not many of Macs guys are playing 

You are right. This staff is playing a number of their guys who went out and won 9 games for the 7th time in school history and played in the CUSA championship game but still doesn't have the full number of scholarship players because of the NCAA rules only allowing 20 each year. You make the perfect counterpoint to your own point. Brilliant.

• Lovely Take 1

7 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Representatives of the committee were at the Army game, not the whole committee. They could be wrong, but I've read things from folks closer to the committee that it became political and the majority wanted Southern Miss if they had to take a CUSA team. 

Correct, the last 3-4 weeks "representatives" of the committee are at 5-10 locations because they don't know who will ultimately be on the table when the chips fall. The bowl's executive director is the key. Where he goes is the leader in the clubhouse. Don't know where he was, but don't think it was him at North Texas.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, meangreenJW said:

You are right. This staff is playing a number of their guys who went out and won 9 games for the 7th time in school history and played in the CUSA championship game but still doesn't have the full number of scholarship players because of the NCAA rules only allowing 20 each year. You make the perfect counterpoint to your own point. Brilliant.

The point is with their guys they still got the crap beat out of them on the on Offense and Defense... 

stop with this they aren’t at the limit, they had around 60 in SL first year.. this past year they had 80 out of 85... 

• Downvote 3

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The point is with their guys they still got the crap beat out of them on the on Offense and Defense... 

stop with this they aren’t at the limit, they had around 60 in SL first year.. this past year they had 80 out of 85... 

No. This upcoming year they will be at 80. They were in the mid 70s this year.

12 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The point is we won multiple games by single digits.. you usually go 50/50 on that and we won them all.. so history says we likely won’t have it go our way next year.. if we lose 2/3 of those games we are at 6-7 wins and this #NewDenton that it’s champ or bust isn’t even considered..

Fact is we won 9. We don't have to play "if we lost." We didn't.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

It was said multiple times leading up to the championship games and bowl game.. that they wanted to get to10 Wins

I'm sure they wanted to win 10. Wanted to 10 in the conference championship game as well. Odds of winning 10 wasn't the reason we were in NO Bowl which was the argument being made.

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Do you truly think this was a 9 win team? Lol they got destroyed is multiple games.. 

Actually I do. Because they are a 9 win team. I deal in facts. Not crazyville. Highly doubtful that you'd be working "with the staff." I'll trust my information on schollies. It came directly from a coach.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Actually I do. Because they are a 9 win team. I deal in facts. Not crazyville. Highly doubtful that you'd be working "with the staff." I'll trust my information on schollies. It came directly from a coach.

Don’t argue with idiots. They have more experience being idiots. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Lol.. the idea that you truly believe this is a 9-win team.. we got our butts kicked more than any 9 win team in the nation.. and believe what you want man, I’ll still sleep well tonite but it was at 80...

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Ummm...Yes. We won nine. Played in the CUSA title game. Try Google.

We are not a 9 win team.. we got lucky and that stats back it up..

If you watch this team and think its a 9-win team you are very very very blind and just biased... Troy ran us out of the building, FAU treated us a rag doll multiple times, SMU spanked us and we alone made Sutton Millions of dollars for his 2 most recent UNT Games.. Army we knew the plays and they still ran for 500 yards.. UAB and UTSA we got lucky that we had a few seconds left and that they were not able to get the ball back with any time (thank god reff was the DC and allowed them to score with so much time left!) 

LT finished +66 but yet had more losses than us, USM was +61... FIU was -37 and had more wins.. We should have be at 0 but thank god for Franklin of FAU dropping the ball on the 1 in the championship game..

You guys can think this is a legit 9-win team, but we struggled vs teams that were 6-6 (LT, UTSA) and got destroyed by better teams like Troy and FAU... Lets hope these single digit wins turn in multiple score wins next year but its not likely.. So keep drinking the mean green kool-aid..

• Downvote 10

12 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We are not a 9 win team.. we got lucky and that stats back it up..

This is the type of post that makes me think we should shut the message board down in the off season.  Posts so blind by their rage, they ignore simple fact.  Fanatical rage, nothing more.

The team won 9 games, that happened.

The team competed game in and game out, through the end of the fourth quarter.  That fight till the end attitude that we saw at the SMU game, is what paid dividends in all those 4th quarter comebacks.

• Upvote 5