Here is why you leave Benford to finish off the season...

Harry

Yep...considered it.  But, of course you are confusing the few folks who post here with the majority of UNT fans.  Typical.  Hey, I hear they have TCU t-shirts on for 20% off at Goodwill.  Might want to stop by and grab a few for garage rags.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 9

This is the only source for anything North Texas.  We search this forum for any tiny piece of positive information that will tell us the "Grand Pupas" of North Texas University and North Texas Athletics finally get it.  We're headed in the right direction....we're winning in the major sports....look at the fans filling the stands to watch winning teams in all sports.

Sadly, I saw a glimpse of it in the mid to late 1960's, an occasional ripple in the 1970's, and the bowl years.  I lost interest in the 1980's when we dropped down to 1AA.  That move alone is what crushed North Texas Athletics.  No vision to meet the stadium requirements and remain 1A.  Some fun in New Orleans and some good football....for the Sun Belt.

As we all get up there in years, we begin to realize that some of us may never see North Texas successfully compete in football or basketball on a regular basis.  My days of traveling to Denton for football games are becoming less frequent.  At some point, no one will notice old DeepGreen not posting.  I'll go the way of good fans like MG61 and others.

For now, (in my very best Godfather voice), "I want you to listen to me very carefully, "GO MEAN GREEN"!

• Upvote 5

On 3/3/2017 at 7:35 AM, UNTFan23 said:

Moving someone to a lower position is such a bush league way to go about getting rid of someone. Besides, if we had, we'd be paying him the same amount of money he is making now to be something like a janitor or whatever role he is given.

Only that's exactly what happens seemingly every year somewhere by programs at all levels that demand success and accountability.  

No surprise to me that you dont get that.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

10 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Yep...considered it.  But, of course you are confusing the few folks who post here with the majority of UNT fans.  Typical.  Hey, I hear they have TCU t-shirts on for 20% off at Goodwill.  Might want to stop by and grab a few for garage rags.

No, I'm talking about the 98% of alumni who have not one damn thing to do with UNT athletics once they graduate, despite living in the DFW area. 

Step out of your oh so tiny bubble.

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Only that's exactly what happens seemingly every year somewhere by programs at all levels that demand success and accountability.  

Rick

That crew will never, ever say anything other than the UNT agenda talking points.   And if you don't agree, YOU are the enemy. 

No one eats their own better than the small time UNT fan base. No wonder they are small. Will probably always be that way.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

Monday morning qb here, so if we had fired benford at mid season or 3/4 of the season would it have made any difference,  I don't think the season would have changed.    An assistant could have taken over.  So will we see an announcement tomorrow from the AD?  If not he can go too.  Tried of the losing attitude we have.  I am starting to think the sleeping giant is in a coma.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Maybe in your mind, but nowhere near the real world . Notice how the nice football stadium we have that is less than our student body in capacity has never been sold out. 

9 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Name a Division 1 basketball school (there are 351 of them) that has done this recently.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

47 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Name a Division 1 basketball school (there are 351 of them) that has done this recently.

Ah......splitting hairs.  So if there's been no recent D1 basketball reassignment then it just couldn't possibly be an option for poor ol NT, right?  Are there any other parameters you would like to further it down to?  

As I stated...reassignment seems to happen every year somewhere.  That Bush League Univ of Texas reassigned their legendary college baseball coach Augie Garrido last summer. Garrido had $1.1 Mil and one year left on his contract but couldn't convince officials to give him his final year after a 5th straight losing record in conference, and he refused to resign(I don't blame him)...so Texas pidgeon-holed him and moved on to try and get their baseball program back on track.  That's what programs with high expectations do.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

2 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Ah......splitting hairs.  So if there's been no recent D1 basketball reassignment then it just couldn't possibly be an option for poor ol NT, right?  Are there any other parameters you would like to further it down to?  

As I stated...reassignment seems to happen every year somewhere.  That Bush League Univ of Texas reassigned their legendary college baseball coach Augie Garrido last summer. Garrido had $1.1 Mil and one year left on his contract but couldn't convince officials to give him his final year after a 5th straight losing record in conference, and he refused to resign(I don't blame him)...so Texas pidgeon-holed him and moved on to try and get their baseball program back on track.  That's what programs with high expectations do.

Rick

But this article says he resigned.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Yup...then it says...

"......and will accept a position as a special assistant to the Athletic Director, the school announced Monday".

Thats being reassigned.

Here the headline in the DMN reads differently.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/05/30/texas-longhorns-reassign-baseball-coachnbspaugie-garrido

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

Yup...then it says...

"......and will accept a position as a special assistant to the Athletic Director, the school announced Monday".

Thats being reassigned.

Here the headline in the DMN reads differently.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/05/30/texas-longhorns-reassign-baseball-coachnbspaugie-garrido

Rick

And I'll bet he was collecting the same amount of money he was making as the head coach for the baseball team. Putting "someone to pasture" is a nice way to try to make them go away. It's an easy way to collect a paycheck as well if you just mind your own business. Texas likely didn't want bad press for firing a future HOF baseball coach.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

And I'll bet he was collecting the same amount of money he was making as the head coach for the baseball team. Putting "someone to pasture" is a nice way to try to make them go away. It's an easy way to collect a paycheck as well if you just mind your own business. Texas likely didn't want bad press for firing a future HOF baseball coach.

It worked great with Matt Simon.  Helwig wanted him gone but he refused to resign.  So Helwig made him Asst AD of facilities.  It got old quick and he left.

It makes a statement to your investors that "We Do Not Tolerate Losing"...or whatever the ailment with the coach is.  It gives investors a reason for hope sooner than later.  Agree with me or not.  But it would have been nice to read that Benford was being fired or reassigned back in December/January.  I might have attended a game for the first time in years out of the interest to see what an interim could bring.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

It worked great with Matt Simon.  Helwig wanted him gone but he refused to resign.  So Helwig made him Asst AD of facilities.  It got old quick and he left.

It makes a statement to your investors that "We Do Not Tolerate Losing"...or whatever the ailment with the coach is.  It gives investors a reason for hope sooner than later.  Agree with me or not.  But it would have been nice to read that Benford was being fired or reassigned back in December/January.  I might have attended a game for the first time in years out of the interest to see what an interim could bring.

Rick

And we would have been paying Benford whatever he was owed to be a special employee at the AD. Benford might never have to step foot on campus again and collect an amazing paycheck. During this time, NT gets to pay for two coaches for its basketball program.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/usf-fires-orlando-antigua/2308240

this is what should of happend....

but thank goodness Benny got to ride it out till the end. Just think what would of happend if he would of got fired....... 

#CUSA14seed

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

And we would have been paying Benford whatever he was owed to be a special employee at the AD. Benford might never have to step foot on campus again and collect an amazing paycheck. During this time, NT gets to pay for two coaches for its basketball program.

Why does paying two coaches matter?  The interim is already getting paid. He just continues to receive Asst pay.   I can't see one not willing to audition for the job under an  interim title without a pay increase.  But even if he demanded an increase, so be it.  Getting two months WITHOUT Benford would have been worth it.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

Why does paying two coaches matter?  The interim is already getting paid. He just continues to receive Asst pay.   I can't see one not willing to audition for the job under an  interim title without a pay increase.  But even if he demanded an increase, so be it.  Getting two months WITHOUT Benford would have been worth it.

Rick

I wouldn't want to serve as an interim head coach without getting paid more. Increased responsibilities deserves a higher salary.

It's water under the bridge at this point. Arguing alternative realities is pointless to say the least. There's absolutely no way to know how things would have turned out if Benford had been canned earlier in the season. Odds are the end result would have been the same -- another losing season and missing the conference tournament.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Maybe in your mind, but nowhere near the real world . Notice how the nice football stadium we have that is less than our student body in capacity has never been sold out. 

Talking about numbers we have not should have.  Missed the point.  Agree that we "should" have more.  I think everyone would agree with that point, but was not the point I was making at all.

• Downvote 6

24 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I wouldn't want to serve as an interim head coach without getting paid more. Increased responsibilities deserves a higher salary.

That's your sense of entitlement speaking.

ive been in sinking ship situations, and been asked to work with others to make things right while personnel gets adjusted.  Maybe I'm too nice, but I am inclined to do it without asking about compensation. I figure it will work itself out one way or another.  And you know what? It usually does.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

ive been in sinking ship situations, and been asked to work with others to make things right while personnel gets adjusted.  Maybe I'm too nice, but I am inclined to do it without asking about compensation. I figure it will work itself out one way or another.

A guaranteed wage increase for taking over someone's train wreck?

II wwwaaannnntttt ttthhhaaattttt jjjooobbbb.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

ive been in sinking ship situations, and been asked to work with others to make things right while personnel gets adjusted.  Maybe I'm too nice, but I am inclined to do it without asking about compensation. I figure it will work itself out one way or another.  And you know what? It usually does.

Maybe that is a sense of entitlement but taking on someone else's shitshow where I'm expected to talk to the media, put myself firmly in the fanbase's crosshairs where every move I make is criticized, and all the other duties that a head coach must perform seems pretty deserving of a little more money in my bank account. If I were an assistant coach and the current head coach was getting fired, I'd just tell leadership to deal with it and I'm not going to cover for them.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

30 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Maybe that is a sense of entitlement but taking on someone else's shitshow where I'm expected to talk to the media, put myself firmly in the fanbase's crosshairs where every move I make is criticized, and all the other duties that a head coach must perform seems pretty deserving of a little more money in my bank account. If I were an assistant coach and the current head coach was getting fired, I'd just tell leadership to deal with it and I'm not going to cover for them.

Just my personal experience, in my field of course, watching people demonstrate your expectations vs. my approach as stated above:

I end up with no salary increase, but I end up getting a lot more work (and much more $$$) down the road.
You end up getting your salary increase, and a lot less work down the road.

Your supervisors have a big fish to fry, bigger than any single employee, and they generally want to work with people who make their job easier.  And they talk to each other about you.

I've made my point.  Truth is, no one knows what our assistants would do.  I suppose it is not out of the question that The Wren sat down with them and explored his options.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1