Basketball Tailgating

Gakusei

Alright everyone, we officially have the ok from the Athletic Department to tailgate! I'm going to run down a list of a few different things everyone needs to know.

Tailgating Dates/Times

[*] December 29 4:30-6:30pm (Indiana)

[*] January 8 4:30-6:30pm (UT-Pan American)

[*] January 10 5:15-6:30pm (New Mexico State)

[*] January 15 5:15-6:30pm (Denver) [RAINED OUT]

[*] January 19 5:15-6:30pm (Florida International)

[*] January 22 5:15-6:30pm (WOMEN: Arkansas-Little Rock)

[*] January 29 5:15-6:30pm (New Orleans)

[*] January 31 5:15-6:30pm (South Alabama)

[*] February 12 5:15-6:30pm (Middle Tennessee)

[*] February 23 5:15-6:30pm (Louisiana-Lafayette) [RAINED OUT]

[*] February 28 5:15-6:30pm (WOMEN: South Alabama)

Fouts Field parking lot, directly across from Gate D of the Super Pit. (Right where the SP connects to the Gateway Center).

Who can come?

[*] EVERYONE! Even if you're from the other schools, we'd be glad to have you.

Tailgating General Information

[*] Please try to post in the perpetual "I'll be at the tailgate" thread. If you're just a lurker, or if you forget to post there, don't sweat it. I'd like people to let me know if they're coming, but don't let that keep you away.

[*] I will provide all the necessary materials (grill, coolers, etc) and enough food to feed about 10 people. If I receive more RSVP's than 10, I'll ask for people who are willing to bring a little food to help out).

[*] I'll PM a few people who have RSVP'd and ask them to please bring a 12 pack of that delicious Coca-Cola produced by the very generous supporters of our school (tongue.gif) or a few beers. I'll rotate as often as possible.

What should you bring?

[*] A chair

[*] More than likely, a very heavy coat

[*] More than likely, a blanket or two (Make no mistake, it'll be about 30-50 on most days, which isn't too cold, but it is after a couple hours for those of you sitting around talking)

[*] A football or anything else you might want to keep busy

What I'll bring

[*] Grill and related supplies

[*] Large cooler with ice/12 pack or so of beer

[*] Industrial sized heater, depending on temperature

[*] Have any more suggestions?

What you should do if you have all kinds of money, but no idea what to do with it

Donate to the cause! I would like to eventually get the following items setup:

[*] Heat lamp(s)

[*] Larger grill (depending on average turnout)

[*] Larger amounts of free food (depending on turnout)

[*] Suggestions?

Compliance

[*] We are allowed to bring beer, however, we absolutely must make sure that no one under the age of 21 is drinking. I'll be keeping the cooler in the back of my truck, and will card unless I can easily tell you're older than 21.

[*] All coals must be dumped onto the pavement before the game and doused with water (this will probably only be 1 grill for awhile). After the game, the coals must be swept up and bagged.

[*] Leave no trash. I will bring a trash can or figure out how to get one from the athletic department. We need to keep this a clean event.

I have a feeling that this will eventually take off, but we will probably be a very small group to begin with. I'm looking forward to the Indiana game even more now! biggrin.gif

Edited by Gakusei

There was a big tailgating thing before the home finale against La-La in 2002 I believe (I'm starting to get my years mixed up in my old age) at the area outside the Super Pit right by the door most of the students go in. I think Talons organized it with big help from dining services, there were hamburgers, chips, cokes, and SoundMan Eric had a system bumping. We won that game rather handily over a SBC championship game bound La-La on FSSW and I think this is the game we even got a highlight on SportsCenter. I had the SuperPit decked out for that one, I made a huge sign for every player as well as Coach Jones...and the AD handed out free t-shirts.

If you have free food and shirts mixed with a little actual advertisement to the student body, you've got a decent student turnout on your hands.

I will try to make it out for some of the tailgating this year. It has some potential with the right backing.

Edited by IronMan4

Count ParksAndRecRick in for the first one against Indiana.  Let me know what to bring.

Well, I haven't received too many PM's, so I don't know how many to expect. Possibly very little showing, but I know there'll be at least a few people there.

Again, I'll bring enough for 10 people (ParksRick, got enough for you), but if you are coming please PM me. I can't read minds, and won't have any food available for people I don't have on my list. blink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Everything's still on for tomorrow; I'll probably be there around 4PM or so to start warming up the coals. I'll bring enough food for 10 people, and maybe a little more. If you're coming, please try to bring a cold 6 or 12 pack of coke or something...if we don't use it, you can just take it back home. tongue.gif

Looking forward to tomorrow! Husk the Hoosiers? laugh.gif

Btw, weather should be mid-50's and sunny...perfect weather.

Edited by Gakusei

I'm planning on going to the game. It all depends on what time I wake up in the afternoon as to what time I'll make it to the campus. I'll PM you my cell phone number so you call me if there is anything you'd like to have brought to the tailgate.

Tailgating does exist!

user posted image

More Pics

I really would like to thank the people who showed up, and especially FFR and Kevin for contributing. biggrin.gif

Also thanks to Johnny Jones for stopping by to meet and thank us for showing up. Very classy and I enjoyed meeting him.

We had about a dozen people show up, and had a great time for a couple hours before the game. Free food always goes over well. laugh.gif

If you weren't one of the ones there today, make plans to join us next time...January 8th for the UT-PanAm game. Or if you can't make it to Denton in the middle of the week, come on out on Saturday, January 10th for the New Mexico State game.

If you do plan on coming, please throw a PM my way. I'll always bring enough just in case we have a few extra, but I can make absolutely sure to have enough food there if I know who's coming.

Go Mean Green! Beat the Broncs!

Edited by Gakusei

I changed the time for the NMSU game from 4:30 to 5:15 as I'll be at the Stars/Avalanche game at noon and am unsure on how fast I'll be able to make it from AAC to Denton on Saturday.

If people want to get there at 4:30 still, that's fine, but I can't guarantee I'll be there then. unsure.gif

Yay!!  Tailgating has taken off!!

Expect more for tomorrow night's game...I kinda made it a RUSH event for Alpha Phi Omega..so maybe for all those guys coming there just MIGHT be some hot girls or some hot guys for the ladies!

UNT_fan_23 and MrStrange know what I am talking about laugh.gif

You bet I do!!!

GMG!!!

Yay!!  Tailgating has taken off!!

Expect more for tomorrow night's game...I kinda made it a RUSH event for Alpha Phi Omega..so maybe for all those guys coming there just MIGHT be some hot girls or some hot guys for the ladies!

UNT_fan_23 and MrStrange know what I am talking about laugh.gif

Brooklyn, you might want to let them know that the basketball tailgating is just a little bit smaller than the football tailgating. laugh.gif

They know...but thanks!! I told them to look for a small crowd around a small grill....let me know if you want me to bring anything else!! See yall out there tom. night! Also I meant to put UNTfan92 on my last post..cause him and MrStrange are the hottest roommates I know of! But I met UNT23FAN last b-ball game..ur cool too tongue.gif

They know...but thanks!!  I told them to look for a small crowd around a small grill....let me know if you want me to bring anything else!!  See yall out there tom. night! Also I meant to put UNTfan92 on my last post..cause him and MrStrange are the hottest roommates I know of!  But I met UNT23FAN last b-ball game..ur cool too tongue.gif

Yeah! I'm cool. happy.gif

Tailgating is really fun, we need to get more people out there so we can have a really good time before the game. Not saying the games are not fun its just you meet a lot of people at the tailgates, and its really fun.

Exactly Ray.

I added in the impromptu Lady Eagles game we'll be tailgating for this Thursday. It may end a little prematurely because my propane tank is just about out of juice (unless, of course, everyone wants to brave the cold). ph34r.gif

Exactly Ray.

I added in the impromptu Lady Eagles game we'll be tailgating for this Thursday.  It may end a little prematurely because my propane tank is just about out of juice (unless, of course, everyone wants to brave the cold).  ph34r.gif

Maybe everyone should pitch in $5 so we can get a new propane take for future tailgating. Gak shouldn't have to buy a new one since we already used his up!! And then the guys can stay warm by the heater while the girls make their own body heat!! ohmy.gifbiggrin.gifrolleyes.giftongue.gif