30/36 – 329 yards – 5 tds – 1 int

Zack Greenlee – UTEP against New Mexico State

15/27 – 229 yards – 3 tds

David Washington – Old Dominion against Hampton

10/18 – 187 yards – 4 tds

Tyler Stehling – Rice against WKU

23/38 – 186 yards – 2 int

Edited by NTAlum09

Just a little interesting tidbit after 10 seconds of research: Alec Morris is currently ranked #10 out of 12 QBs in CUSA in QBR. Our QBR ranking has almost exactly matched our overall final standings in the conference going back a few years. Last year DaMarcus Smith was also 10 out of 12, year before that Andrew McNulty was 11 out of 12, and last time we cracked the top-5 was Derek Thompson in 2013, at #4.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Just a little interesting tidbit after 10 seconds of research: Alec Morris is currently ranked #10 out of 12 QBs in CUSA in QBR. Our QBR ranking has almost exactly matched our overall final standings in the conference going back a few years. Last year DaMarcus Smith was also 10 out of 12, year before that Andrew McNulty was 11 out of 12, and last time we cracked the top-5 was Derek Thompson in 2013, at #4.

3 picks will do that to ya. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

3 picks will do that to ya. 

Having a slow start to the season doesn't bode well for him historically either, at least with our QBs. None of their QBRs fluctuated that much after the first few weeks of the season. Derek Thompson started off with one of the best QBRs in the country and slowed down just a tad after that in 2013. Opposite goes for Andrew McNulty and whoever else has started for us the last few years. Slow starts that never got better.

42 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Having a slow start to the season doesn't bode well for him historically either, at least with our QBs. None of their QBRs fluctuated that much after the first few weeks of the season. Derek Thompson started off with one of the best QBRs in the country and slowed down just a tad after that in 2013. Opposite goes for Andrew McNulty and whoever else has started for us the last few years. Slow starts that never got better.

Nick Mullens is 9th and Alex McGough is 13th, but those guys are top QBs in CUSA. Salton Sturm is number 2, but I dont think that will last once they play a real team.

I still believe Morris can be a top 5 QB in CUSA, in this offense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Mean_Green09 said:

Nick Mullens is 9th and Alex McGough is 13th, but those guys are top QBs in CUSA. Salton Sturm is number 2, but I dont think that will last once they play a real team.

Mostly referring to first few weeks, like 2-3 games. That stabilizes things like playing a tough opponent, or on the flip side playing a cupcake game. See how those three are doing after week 3, after which we will have both our body bag game and "cupcake," plus a team we should be close to even with (SMU). 

I don't expect him to be a regular starter this season, if SL is already talking about him splitting time with Mason Fine then I can't envision him starting the entire season or starting for entire games. We will see. 

Just now, Mean_Green09 said:

Yep. Whoever brought up QBR must be a Derek Thompson fan. It's week 1. A lot of CUSA teams played FCS teams. A lot of teams played good competition. Mike White played an apparent depleted Rice squad. Difficult to see how good the La Tech QB is going to be...but he allowed his team to hang around with Arkansas. Speaking of that game...La Tech must have a pretty good front 7 this year. They held their own vs a pretty good Arkansas OL. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

Yep. Whoever brought up QBR must be a Derek Thompson fan. It's week 1. A lot of CUSA teams played FCS teams. A lot of teams played good competition. Mike White played an apparent depleted Rice squad. Difficult to see how good the La Tech QB is going to be...but he allowed his team to hang around with Arkansas. Speaking of that game...La Tech must have a pretty good front 7 this year. They held their own vs a pretty good Arkansas OL. 

Yes when I was doing my preseason ratings of teams I had Rice as the worst secondary.

I had the LT DL and OL in the top 5 in CUSA. They still had good talent there, but wasnt sure just how good. I think its safe to assume that LT and USM are the teams to beat in West. Not sure if Tech will turn it back over to Higgins or keep rolling with Smith

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Yes when I was doing my preseason ratings of teams I had Rice as the worst secondary.

I had the LT DL and OL in the top 5 in CUSA. They still had good talent there, but wasnt sure just how good. I think its safe to assume that LT and USM are the teams to beat in West. Not sure if Tech will turn it back over to Higgins or keep rolling with Smith

I think they'll go to Higgins. It allows them to do what they really want to do. But how impressive is it that a division foe had an SEC team on the ropes all game long with their backup QB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Once again, I said after first few games. 2-3 games. If we don't see improvement by then, it's unlikely we will see it the rest of the season. My prediction remains that Mason Fine will be the regular starter by week 5-6. That's not based on QBR or anything else, just gut feeling.

The concerning thing to me after Week 1 is that SMU is who many would consider the closest to our equal as far as talent goes. That may not be the case, but we both ended with similar records last season. So if the QBR or QB play in general is bad against one of our bottom-dwelling peers, what can we anticipate over the season? Historically, not good things. We have had to rely on at least decent QB play to be successful in the past, which is why I brought up our QBR the last few seasons.