MGB: Devin O'Hara talks about decision to sign with UNT

Brett Vito

http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/showthread.php?84597-JUCO-DE-Raveon-Hoston-Update-Not-going-to-happen/page6

You can google around for the Alabama offer.  There's nothing there...except his word, and an offer from Alabama A&M.

From the Lincoln Star Journal...Lincoln, Nebraska...home of the University of Nebraska.  Maybe they're a little more connect to what's going on with Nebraska football than our "resident guru."  http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/recruiting-huskers-looking-into-los-angeles-juco-de/article_a5ccec8c-214c-11e6-b077-d3fc37e5fa0b.html

Los Angeles Valley College defensive end Raveon Hoston told HuskerOnline.com's Sean Callahan that Nebraska has been in contact with him in recent days. NU hasn't offered a scholarship.

Hoston said Nebraska defensive coordinator Mark Banker was set to meet Monday with a Los Angeles Valley academic counselor. There may be eligibility hurdles for Hoston to clear before he can attend a four-year school.

Again, the contention was the old coaching staff didn't seek out this type of recruit.  The truth is, they did.  And, they also landed one last summer.  Additionally, the one they landed had actually been committed to a P5 until his grades came up short after high school.

Hoston's academic weren't in order after high school, he attended three colleges, then garnered some G5 offers and had Nebraska coaches visit the final of his three JUCOs attended.  In the end, it didn't meet Nebraska's academic standard.  The original "big players" Memphis and UCF seem to have stopped playing after February's signing period.

Good get by our coaching staff.  But, not as unheard of as some here claim it to be.  The last coaching staff was many things, and it didn't get enough recruits to compete beyond 2013.  But, to say that they weren't trying is simply a lie.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/showthread.php?82330-New-Offers-going-out/page18&highlight=Raveon+Hoston

Eighth post on this page, #263, states he did receive an offer.  I also saw the comments that he played at three different JUCO's, but could not find anything to confirm that comment.  I did find that he transferred high schools and graduated in 2013, but only find that he attended Los Angeles Valley.  I don't see Nebraska as being this "Temple of Higher Learning" and having too terribly difficult admission requirements probably on par with UNT's.

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/showthread.php?82330-New-Offers-going-out/page18&highlight=Raveon+Hoston

Eighth post on this page, #263, states he did receive an offer.  I also saw the comments that he played at three different JUCO's, but could not find anything to confirm that comment.  I did find that he transferred high schools and graduated in 2013, but only find that he attended Los Angeles Valley.  I don't see Nebraska as being this "Temple of Higher Learning" and having too terribly difficult admission requirements probably on par with UNT's.

I'm taking the beat writer who keeps in contact with the coaching staff over the fan website on whether or not there was an offer.

Also, you may not see Nebraska as a temple of higher learning.  However, unlike UNT, Nebraksa was a member of the AAU.  And, in the end, his transcripts show him unable to attend Nebraska, but able to attend UNT.  Draw your own conclusions.

It's a nice get...same as the get by McCarney's staff of McNair last summer.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I'm taking the beat writer who keeps in contact with the coaching staff over the fan website on whether or not there was an offer.

Also, you may not see Nebraska as a temple of higher learning.  However, unlike UNT, Nebraksa was a member of the AAU.  And, in the end, his transcripts show him unable to attend Nebraska, but able to attend UNT.  Draw your own conclusions.

Well, since the kid personally confirmed, I look forward to you calling him a liar when he gets to campus. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

The "fan website" linked a tweet from a JUCO recruiting source and linked Husker Nation.  It just wasn't some fan.

So where are these, as you state, three colleges he attended since his high school graduation in 2013? 

In the end, taking a backhanded swipe at a big recruit is ridiculous, as is comparing Littrell's staff, that hasn't been in Denton for even an entire year to Mac's staff that had been here multiple years.  The NU beat writer might want to help NU save face over losing a recruit to UNT (North Texas State and Northern Texas, as some of their fans refer) just as our beat writer might want our recruit to look better by reporting offers from NU and Alabama.  I have no reason to doubt the reports that state he did receive these offers.  I just hope he gets to Denton, keeps his academics in order and produces as expected for our football team.

11 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Well, since the kid personally confirmed, I look forward to you calling him a liar when he gets to campus. 

Okay.  He wouldn't be the first kid to lie about the recruiting process.  Although...probably the first to, if he is to be believed, to turn down an offer to Nebraska to go to UNT.

Just now, UNTLifer said:

The "fan website" linked a tweet from a JUCO recruiting source and linked Husker Nation.  It just wasn't some fan.

So where are these, as you state, three colleges he attended since his high school graduation in 2013? 

In the end, taking a backhanded swipe at a big recruit is ridiculous, as is comparing Littrell's staff, that hasn't been in Denton for even an entire year to Mac's staff that had been here multiple years.  The NU beat writer might want to help NU save face over losing a recruit to UNT (North Texas State and Northern Texas, as some of their fans refer) just as our beat writer might want our recruit to look better by reporting offers from NU and Alabama.  I have no reason to doubt the reports that state he did receive these offers.  I just hope he gets to Denton, keeps his academics in order and produces as expected for our football team.

Go ahead and read through the whole thread.  Someone took a backhanded swipe the the former coaches.  I pointed out to them that that staff did the same thing last summer.

Others bogged down into the phantom offers from Alabama and Nebraska.  Less than two weeks after NU's coach met with the LA Valley academic folk, he mysteriously committed - eagerly - to us.  Again, draw your own conclusions. 

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Thanks TFLF.

You're welcome.  And, just for your edification, Harry is going back and fixing the TFLF screen name (as well as other issues) that was taken away by an overzealous moderator.  So, just be patient.

In the meantime, enjoy what you can be given under the MeanGreenMailbox moniker.  I can see by your eagerness to post after me, you are. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

You mean the coaches that cannot comment on recruits before they sign or they would be committing a recruiting violation? Those coaches?

• Upvote 3

Of course, there was also the JucoFrenzy Twitter account that follows juco recruiting that reported an offer, plus at least one UNT recruiting guru, plus several fans from each of those schools that were mysteriously bombing the Twitter account of the play (ask yourself why they would do this)

Weird. Must be a conspiracy against you. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/10/2016 at 0:39 PM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Go ahead and read through the whole thread.  Someone took a backhanded swipe the the former coaches.  I pointed out to them that that staff did the same thing last summer.

Others bogged down into the phantom offers from Alabama and Nebraska.  Less than two weeks after NU's coach met with the LA Valley academic folk, he mysteriously committed - eagerly - to us.  Again, draw your own conclusions.

Uh......oh!  Now we know, and some even now accept, what the Husker beat guy said all along:  there was no offer from Nebraska after they talked to the JUCO academic folk about Raveon Hoston.

Even more farfetched was the Alabama talk. 

We'll win with the guys who are on campus now.  Johnson and Hoston can help whichever DII school ends up with them.  Texas A&M - Commerce, maybe?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

On 8/14/2016 at 3:30 AM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Uh......oh!  Now we know, and some even now accept, what the Husker beat guy said all along:  there was no offer from Nebraska after they talked to the JUCO academic folk about Raveon Hoston.

Even more farfetched was the Alabama talk. 

We'll win with the guys who are on campus now.  Johnson and Hoston can help whichever DII school ends up with them.  Texas A&M - Commerce, maybe?

Wow. well done/ You called it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Wow. well done/ You called it.

The amount of self congratulating on this board has grown to near Biblical Plague levels.  How about instead of everyone pulling a muscles from trying to slap themselves on the back, we instead wait to congratulate ourselves when we come up with something that makes things better?

For example:

1. Cerebus believes humanity waiting to die on this rock is a bad idea.
  2. Cerebus keeps posting that waiting to die on this rock is a bad idea.
  3. Cerebus waiting until the sun swells and consumes the inner planets.
  4. Cerebus keeps pointing to the every growing sun in the sky and keeps posting "I told you mofos, damn why am I always so smart and right?!"

The above example deserves no praise and is not deserving of self back slapping.

Counter example:

1. Cerebus believes humanity waiting to die on this rock is a bad idea.
  2. Cerebus invents a process to make faster than light travel a possibilty.
  3. Humanity spreads across the galaxy.
  4. The impending destruction of Earth by a swelling Sol is just a quick aside on whatever passes for space twitter a few billion years in the future.

The above is a pretty good reason to pat yourself on the back.

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

The amount of self congratulating on this board has grown to near Biblical Plague levels.  How about instead of everyone pulling a muscles from trying to slap themselves on the back, we instead wait to congratulate ourselves when we come up with something that makes things better?

All valid, but you're only sub-posting two guys and you know it. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/10/2016 at 0:39 PM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

You're welcome.  And, just for your edification, Harry is going back and fixing the TFLF screen name (as well as other issues) that was taken away by an overzealous moderator.  So, just be patient.

In the meantime, enjoy what you can be given under the MeanGreenMailbox moniker.  I can see by your eagerness to post after me, you are. 

Wait...you repeatedly getting yourself banned and then defiantly creating new dumb names and posting that the moderators can't control you is something you now get to play the victim card about? I swear this participation trophy generation and the way it whines all the way to the highest levels to get its way is just disgusting. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Wait...you repeatedly getting yourself banned and then defiantly creating new dumb names and posting that the moderators can't control you is something you now get to play the victim card about? I swear this participation trophy generation and the way it whines all the way to the highest levels to get its way is just disgusting. 

It's almost like following the rules, instead of ignoring every warning given to you by multiple mods, could have avoided the mess in the first place?  But then, if you couldn't do that, I guess the optimal solution is to go directly against the written rules again and make secondary accounts to avoid the moderation queues you were put into, right?  Because accepting a code of conduct, and following those rules, and then getting punished for not following those rules is for other, lesser people.

AND THEN if you can't follow the rules, and then you don't want to serve the suspension, and then you want to place the blame squarely on the people tasked with moderating in the first place... I guess the only thing for you to really do is become the chair of the Russian Federation's Olympic Committee?  

Congratulations, Comrade!  

I don't have a tissue to offer you.  You can probably find one in the nearest bathroom yourself.

I left it to Harry to either switch me back to TFLF or keep Mailbox because it doesn't really make a difference to me.  He said Mailbox is just as good as TFLF, so it was left as is.  .

I understand it makes a difference to you.  That's fine.  Maybe you can lobby Harry to switch me to the TFLF name while you are obsessing about it.  Being right under one name or the other, again, it makes no difference to me.    

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, greenminer said:

So we now have a regular poster openly admitting using alternate board accounts, which is against forum guidelines, and he gets to resume posting under the original name.

What happened?

Harry intervened.

And, I'm not posting under the original name.  I'd be happy to, but it makes no difference, so Harry kept things as is.

It only comes up when one of my stalkers brings it up.  Other than that, it's pretty much not really news.

040412-arnold-schwarzenegger-twins-seque

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Harry intervened.

gsqiCjB.gif

Man if you're out here talking about everything you were asked to let drop why not also mention Harry said this is your last chance and your next suspension is a permanent one?  

41 minutes ago, Aldo said:

*In the most Kobe of voices*

I wish we knew.

jXDZguq.gif