DaMarcus Smith kicked off team

MeanGreenDan

24 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Sorry wrong lingo. But Riley's work, however slight it may seem, has been enough to spatter him around in our record books, even though the team faced 29 sacks in 2010.

Back to the point, if the kid can play, let him, and he'll be able to put up stats. It won't be hard to fill up the record book as a passer at UNT. 

Like I mentioned (I think in another thread), how reasonable is it to expect him to put on 10 or 15lbs? Kid knows he's smaller.

What we should be arguing about, is *if* Fine becomes the starter, whether there is enough depth behind him.

On March 14, 2016 at 10:47 PM, UNT90 said:

I know you guys are home team fans, but Mason is going from a low division Oklahoma high school team to FBS football. The game speed is going to be dizzying to him for a while. Plus, he needs to put on some muscle to hold up to hits from 300 pound linemen. A redshirt year is best for both him and UNT.

That said, nothing would make UNT fans happier than to have a productive true freshman at QB. 

My prediction isn't based on anything to do with Mason's athleticism, arm, or accolades from high school. I spent enough time with this kid to see his intelligence, leadership, understanding of the game and his passion for football to know that he will transition well to the next level. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, DoctorJJ said:

My prediction isn't based on anything to do with Mason's athleticism, arm, or accolades from high school. I spent enough time with this kid to see his intelligence, leadership, understanding of the game and his passion for football to know that he will transition well to the next level. 

We all hope you are right.

1 hour ago, DoctorJJ said:

Or maybe he will get homesick, quit school and move back home after 2 weeks. Ha! You can never say for sure about 18-20y/o kids!! I would be shocked, however, if he doesn't do well. 

Not worried about him in that regard because he won't be so far from home. Speaking for myself, the "go slow" is in Mason's best interest and we want him to develop into the best he can be...for himself and for us. He has five years to play four; a kid with his academic skills could be well on the way to two degrees in five years. Let him get adjusted to college, work on his strength and weight, and experience a higher level of football before being thrown out there to sink or swim. Let him make his mistakes and correct them in practice this year, then go balls-to-the-wall for four. I will admit it if it turns out I was wrong, but I sense he has something special to offer and I don't want us to mishandle that. JMHO.

15 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Not knocking Fine, but I think we all need to remember that he had zero other FBS offers. This is a Mac level QB recruit until he proves otherwise. 

Strongly disagree.  Most of Mac's no offer guys were the prototypical D1 size kids who didn't have other offers.  I also don't recall any of Mac's 0 offer recruits being the only 2 time Gatorade POY in the state of Oklahoma (who has pumped out some pretty good football players over the years). 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Strongly disagree.  Most of Mac's no offer guys were the prototypical D1 size kids who didn't have other offers.  I also don't recall any of Mac's 0 offer recruits being the only 2 time Gatorade POY in the state of Oklahoma (who has pumped out some pretty good football players over the years). 

For a lower classification program. I've seen this craziness on this forum before. Brock Berglund comes immediately to mind. And I'm not comparing Fine to Berglund, especially off the field where Berglund was sketchy. 

I'll be excited when I see Fine produce against FBS competition, not before. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4