MGB late night hoops rewind: UNT women 79, FAU 74

It is definitely progress, but I have a little issue of elevating what amounts to a play-in game with a normal tournament win.  In essence, it was a victory over another bad team.   In a non-play-in game, a team has to earn a game with a lesser seed and win or upset a higher seed.  

The NCAA tourney is a perfect example, before the play-in games, a 16 seed would have to be the first team in history to get a tourney win.  Comparing that with that team winning a play-in-game is ridiculous.  Yes, a NCAA tournament game was won, but there is no comparison with a main bracket win.  

Having said this, I think there is a good chance that the girls can win tomorrow.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

It is definitely progress, but I have a little issue of elevating what amounts to a play-in game with a normal tournament win.  In essence, it was a victory over another bad team.   In a non-play-in game, a team has to earn a game with a lesser seed and win or upset a higher seed.  

The NCAA tourney is a perfect example, before the play-in games, a 16 seed would have to be the first team in history to get a tourney win.  Comparing that with that team winning a play-in-game is ridiculous.  Yes, a NCAA tournament game was won, but there is no comparison with a main bracket win.  

Having said this, I think there is a good chance that the girls can win tomorrow.  

I disagree for conference tournaments, but understand for the NCAA. 

Conference tournaments often have to deal with an odd (number and/or unusual) team structure. Some conferences have eliminated teams to get down to a more natural bracket, but I think most don't do that so everyone gets a chance.

I kind of like the way CUSA has handled it this year, essentially giving a double by to the top teams and rewarding them for their respective seasons. This results in the opening round pillow fight, but the two worst teams now have an extra game they must win to take the tournament title. It should be harder for them since they earned a tougher draw with their poor results.

52 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I disagree for conference tournaments, but understand for the NCAA. 

Conference tournaments often have to deal with an odd (number and/or unusual) team structure. Some conferences have eliminated teams to get down to a more natural bracket, but I think most don't do that so everyone gets a chance.

I kind of like the way CUSA has handled it this year, essentially giving a double by to the top teams and rewarding them for their respective seasons. This results in the opening round pillow fight, but the two worst teams now have an extra game they must win to take the tournament title. It should be harder for them since they earned a tougher draw with their poor results.

I don't have any problem with the setup, just over selling the  victory as the first tournament win since......  To me it is kind of like hyping going to a bowl game now versus one forty years ago when it is was much bigger accomplishment.  

Edited by GrandGreen