4-2-5

Wag Tag

It looks like with the DBs we are signing a 4-2-5 D is what we be playing. In playing this D  what is the line up to the strong side? Strong safety over the TE? Also if we are playing tighter at the line of scrimmage (maybe jamming) does create a better opportunity for blitzing? Help me out coaches! Thanks

• Upvote 1

Typically the "strong" side in a 4-2-5 is the wide side of the field.  The front can be moved, but lets say the TE is set towards the short side of the field (boundary), then normally you will have a DE head up on him and bump your backers towards the field.  Then walk down your Free to man up w a TE.  That is one way to do it.  Depending on the team.  So to answer your question, they dont call strength to the TE.  

• Upvote 1

X                 T G C G T TE              Y

E     N     DT    E      

C                W           M            N               C

F/S                                     R

Something similar to that would be base towards a field TE.  Sorry cant get screenshots to load bc of size        

X              TE T G C G T                                     Y

E       N    DT    E          

C              F/S        N       M              W                        C

R

That would be a quick adjustment to a boundary TE

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

X                 T G C G T TE              Y

E     N     DT    E      

C                W           M            N               C

F/S                                     R

Something similar to that would be base towards a field TE.  Sorry cant get screenshots to load bc of size        

X              TE T G C G T                                     Y

E       N    DT    E          

C              F/S        N       M              W                        C

R

That would be a quick adjustment to a boundary TE

I think I failed this course!

• Upvote 1

Don't be surprised to see lots of 3/3 front instead of 4/2 with multiple stunts from the second level. 

If you are thin on DL and have a few more LB, it is an easy adjustment and doesn't screw the secondary as much as you would think. 

We ran a 3/3 some when we only had two DL that were any good and had several small LB's to go with 2 quality SS.

We played man when I had the kids to do it, and zone when we weren't as good at the corners.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

Don't be surprised to see lots of 3/3 front instead of 4/2 with multiple stunts from the second level. 

If you are thin on DL and have a few more LB, it is an easy adjustment and doesn't screw the secondary as much as you would think. 

We ran a 3/3 some when we only had two DL that were any good and had several small LB's to go with 2 quality SS.

We played man when I had the kids to do it, and zone when we weren't as good at the corners.

I was told we will see a lot of 4-2-5 and 3-3-5...

We ran a 4-2-5 at the college I played at.  Works really well when you have speed at the LB position.  Teaches the players to shoot gaps and play fast.  Playing LB in this scheme is a lot of fun!

Pretty much D line slanting every play shooting gaps.  Pressure can be brought from every level.

It teaches the players of a safety net type of system.  You may get gashed every now and then but it fits an aggressive type of system.

• Upvote 1

The 3/3 is actually more difficult to block than the 4/2.  It is hard to dictate where the shades of the DL will be set and you have 3 on the second level that are hard to get to.

Also, you can easily bring 4 rushers off one side.  That is also a pain to deal with for your protection.  The 3/3 causes issues for spread teams.  If they want to pound the ball at you, you just swap personnel with them when they go heavy.  You don't stay 3/3 when they have multiple TE's in the game.

41 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

3-3 stack= shittiest defense IMO.  4-3 or 4-2-5 gives a solid base to stop the run.  When it comes down to it, stop the run and run the ball.  It isnt that complex.

We run 4-2-5 but get ends in wide 9's and scream off the edge.  Interesting way to run it and been pretty successful (barring last year when we didn't have the joe's to get it done) We spin down outside of #2 with butt to the sideline.  Prevents the bubbles and fast concepts (jails, tunnels, etc.) and allows our 2 high safeties plenty of time to read the Tackle who has to pass set in a hurry because of our DE width and rush.  I was pretty suspect at first but once I saw it live I was really impressed.  We have to have stud LB's because our DE's are flat down the line full speed, so when we see ZR the LB's are scraping over the top for the pull.  If the OT's block down our safeties are coming down hill in a hurry! 

6 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Our safeties flat foot read the backfield. Depends what coverage we are in, but that is our base.  Its a 1/4s read concept.  If we get a run read, eyes go to the #2 WR bc he takes us to the run.  If we get a pass read we play our 1/4.  

interesting... mind if I steal it? Doubt my DC will wanna change but you never know.  I really like that concept. Doesn't allow protection schemes to mess anything up

1 minute ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Dude I steal stuff all the time, thats what we do ha.  As long as you dont coach at Belton, Midway, Killeen, Ellison, Shoemaker or Copperas Cove Ill tell you anything you wanna know ha.  

Im at The Colony in DFW lol and we wont be 6a for awhile, if we do go 6a I doubt you have to worry about ever seeing us.  Seeing as how we will go with the plano and Allen district OUCH 

Our safeties coach came from the cove two years ago. Ferguson, he's a good ball coach I like him.  I'm in the MS now but trying to move up

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1