MGB: UNT recruiting status report

Brett Vito

7 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Wow.  UAB, which didn't play a down of football last year, has 18 three-star recruits committed?

<sigh>

Was just about to say that. What was their pitch? 

"Last year, we didn't have a singe loss!"

Edited by brooks91
  • Upvote 3

These days its a long history of losing. UNT won the Heart of Dallas Bowl in 2013, but that was the Mean Green’s only winning season in its last 11.

As soon as I came across HOD, I just knew my eyes were going to come across Derek Thompson but sure enough, they didnt. Soon enough Vito, Soon enough.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

"UNT has been a tough sell in recruiting for years for a variety of reasons. It used to be playing in Fouts Field and being the only Texas team in the Sun Belt."

I thought there was going to be a "but" after this...it never came.

Its a tough sell because of the losing. That is all that TX HS Coaches, players, and their parents know us for, which doesn't help that we always start the season early with bodybag whippings at regional P5 powers that have plenty of T-shirts around to put us down. Of course, when we finally step out of playing SEC and Big 12 powers and actually play a team that we normally would compete with fairly well in Iowa, we play their best team in decades and start the worst QB we have had in decades and get murdered. But with future games at Florida, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Wisconsin, and Iowa, its not gonna stop anytime soon.

I understand the need for the bodybag game, since almost every G5 plays at least one, but I'd have been scheduling games at every team in the northern reaches of the country, like Washington, Minnesota, Maryland, Syracuse, etc...if you get killed by them, there aren't tons of kids walking the hallways at your normal Texas HS wearing t-shirts of those schools. but when you get beat 65-0 by UT, 56-3 by LSU, 79-10 by OU, and whatever Arkansas and A&M beat us by in the years to come, those t-shirt fans in HS don't exactly have a huge reason to look at UNT as their primary school to root for, even if they end up going there because its closer to home or cheaper than anywhere else.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Its a tough sell because of the losing. That is all that TX HS Coaches, players, and their parents know us for, which doesn't help that we always start the season early with bodybag whippings at regional P5 powers that have plenty of T-shirts around to put us down. Of course, when we finally step out of playing SEC and Big 12 powers and actually play a team that we normally would compete with fairly well in Iowa, we play their best team in decades and start the worst QB we have had in decades and get murdered. But with future games at Florida, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Wisconsin, and Iowa, its not gonna stop anytime soon.

I understand the need for the bodybag game, since almost every G5 plays at least one, but I'd have been scheduling games at every team in the northern reaches of the country, like Washington, Minnesota, Maryland, Syracuse, etc...if you get killed by them, there aren't tons of kids walking the hallways at your normal Texas HS wearing t-shirts of those schools. but when you get beat 65-0 by UT, 56-3 by LSU, 79-10 by OU, and whatever Arkansas and A&M beat us by in the years to come, those t-shirt fans in HS don't exactly have a huge reason to look at UNT as their primary school to root for, even if they end up going there because its closer to home or cheaper than anywhere else.

You can't take a bus to those  schools. Airfare costs money. And we are whorin ourselves already, so playing the close P5 lets you get the most whore bang for your whore buck. 

Imagine if we only had an AD that could generate money in other ways...

• Downvote 3

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Maybe try to beat Vanderbilt or Wake Forest instead of Florida or LSU.  Of course, Indiana didn't end up so well on the road.

All of the Gang of 5 conference members play body bag games  because they need the money, and we also will continue to do so as well regardless of who our A.D. is, unless UNT90 has a plan that would raise an extra $2million a year without them. While I respect his right to voice his opinion in a respectful manner, it wears thin when he blames our current A.D. for doing what the rest of Athletic Directors in our conference do, as well as those in the MAC,MWC,AAC, and Sun Belt.I guess he is just smarter that all of them.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, wardly said:

All of the Gang of 5 conference members play body bag games  because they need the money, and we also will continue to do so as well regardless of who our A.D. is, unless UNT90 has a plan that would raise an extra $2million a year without them. While I respect his right to voice his opinion in a respectful manner, it wears thin when he blames our current A.D. for doing what the rest of Athletic Directors in our conference do, as well as those in the MAC,MWC,AAC, and Sun Belt.I guess he is just smarter that all of them.

Wouldn't matter what he would say. You're not going to like it because you're an RV advocate. Which is far worse than anything that is posted on this board. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I was having a Shiner last night with an old acquaintance who has bigtime recruiting connections. He told me we have the inside track on a great JUCO safety that will help our deep coverage. See him in action below:

200.gif

• Upvote 1