Quarterback

Cr1028

You guys are some serious conspiracy theorists, and I should know.  I am one, too.  However, I know it'd be easier to have someone to blame, but, usually, the simplest answer is the correct one.  Andy Mac is our starting QB because he is the best one that we have on the roster.

Not easy to swallow, and offers no hope for 2015 to get better.  But it is the reality we are facing.  Now, should the coaching staff be held responsible for having recruited these QBs?  That's another discussion from the one you're having about nepotism and all this other stupid crap.  

Do we really know that for a fact, or do we know that simply because Mac says so? Nothing personal against the guy, but I don't think McNulty should have ever been given a scholarship in the first place, and we all know he wouldn't have even been looked at had there been no relationship. I don't remember that far back, but there had to be better options out there if Mac was recruiting QB's objectively. There just had to be. Hopefully McNulty had a high fever or something last Saturday and the new and improved version will show up this week as the next Tom Brady. 

• Upvote 2

You guys are some serious conspiracy theorists, and I should know.  I am one, too.  However, I know it'd be easier to have someone to blame, but, usually, the simplest answer is the correct one.  Andy Mac is our starting QB because he is the best one that we have on the roster.

You know, that's exactly the kind of thing someone trying to cover up a massive conspiracy would say...

yEzXi4c.gif

• Upvote 2

Not easy to swallow, and offers no hope for 2015 to get better.  But it is the reality we are facing.  Now, should the coaching staff be held responsible for having recruited these QBs?  That's another discussion from the one you're having about nepotism and all this other stupid crap.  

I agree with all of this.  McNulty is the result of berglund, dajon, means, and greer failures.  And because of those failures, D Smith will have to suffer a few more games.

D smith will get his shot in the second half of the season. We will also look for another juco and an OC that can get the JUCO ready.

Do we really know that for a fact, or do we know that simply because Mac says so? Nothing personal against the guy, but I don't think McNulty should have ever been given a scholarship in the first place, and we all know he wouldn't have even been looked at had there been no relationship. I don't remember that far back, but there had to be better options out there if Mac was recruiting QB's objectively. There just had to be. Hopefully McNulty had a high fever or something last Saturday and the new and improved version will show up this week as the next Tom Brady. 

if mcnulty doesn't deserve a scholaship, then what about the others?  True, mac is responsible for mcnulty and his scholarship.

Who is responsible for dajon, means, berglund, greer?  Why are people concentrating on this one player, when we have several QBS that are not D1 ready?

RB and WR too...

• Upvote 1

Why would you not consider #5 just as much of a failure as the others, ...Why is it that when #5 makes freshman mistakes or gets the deer in the headlights look as a RS SENIOR, hes get a pass??

nothing, in any of my posts suggest mcnulty is good, or any better than the other failures at QB.  My posts address the reason he started against SMU and that was due to Chico's recruiting failures...

• Downvote 1

nothing, in any of my posts suggest mcnulty is good, or any better than the other failures at QB.  My posts address the reason he started against SMU and that was due to Chico's recruiting failures...

My point is, other than a lifelong personal relationship, what qualifies him to be the failure that goes in and takes the snaps over the other failures?

• Upvote 1

I really believe Canales' only failure at recruiting has been Greer, but then his stupid paper tests... McNulty was 100% McCarney's, and then the latter ran off anyone who's ever had any upside or potential. Osborn... Burgland... Dajon...

I mean at this point, we've had two Elite 11 QBs on our roster who apparently can't pass muster with the HC.

========

I'll keep posting this until I no longer feel like it's relevant:

The thing is, good coaching (which includes knowing when to let talent lead) can overcome a transfer or freshman only being in a program for a few weeks. Let's draw some comparisons to a much more successful program who are in this exact scenario.

Oregon is starting highly lauded 5th-year graduate transfer QB Vernon Adams (2-Time Big Sky POTY), who came in from a close by but still excellent smaller program, Eastern Washington. Highly lauded (2011 Elite 11) transfer QB DaMarcus Smith has come to UNT from the fertile football machine that is Butler CC.

Vernon Adams has trouble in the Spring when he fails a math course, disqualifying him from the entirety of Spring ball. He passes a remedial test on the very last day possible to qualify for Fall camp. DaMarcus Smith has trouble transferring all of his credits and does not initially pass certain academic qualifications towards eligibility for Spring Ball. DaMarcus registers and spends a good semester at UNT, bringing his academic standing in line well within time to allow him the wherewithal for Summer workouts and voluntary training/learning.

Vernon Adams excels at Oregon's Fall camp, easily surpassing veteran backup Jeff Lockie, and learns as much of the fast-paced, vastly complicated Oregon playbook, even prompting the Oregon staff to craft a little of their play calling to his strengths as they recognize the extrem upside Adams possesses. DaMarcus Smith is nearly immediately written off as being too unprepared, having in no way the means to absorb all of the Canales-as-shackled-by-McCarney playbook, even though literally all information and footage from Fall camp showed that Smith's tangibles and intangibles  far eceeded those fellow QBs to his left and right on the depth chart.

And so you may say, hey Christopher, I heard Vernon Adams cost Oregon a close win against Sparty last weekend, and to that I would say you are correct! Adams threw two interceptions and showed certain moments of unpreparedness in the Ducks system that probably could be pinned for that loss. But in that same performance he also threw 22/39 for 300+ yards with a touchdown, and another rushing touchdown to boot against an insanely stout defense. The upside, even for just the season that Oregon will have with him is strong and so he shall remain their starter and keep on learning.

DaMarcus Smith in that same time period had to suffer through watching one of the worst QBs North Texas has ever inexplicably fielded contribute to his already dismal record, accounting for three turnovers in a stupefying loss to a rapidly rebuilding rival. And that dismal QB is firmly planted two seats ahead of him on the depth chart.

Oh what a change of coaching mindset (perhaps loss of nepotism?) could mean for the Mean Green.

• Upvote 3

Don't you guys think that we are in a major "chicken or egg" situation here?

With the current team (and subsequent QB situation), McCarney publicly gives the same rhetoric about McNulty (hard worker, overachiever, best camp by far and it's not even close, respect of his teammates, etc...) and the remainder of the depth chart at the position. It certainly appears that Mac is too stubborn to swallow his pride and his words after multiple embarrassments as a direct result of incompetent performances by McNulty at the QB position. Within this it causes extremely difficult circumstances for the defense as a game wears on, and it also causes the rest of the team to lose confidence in their chances to win with an offense led by McNulty. So McCarney chooses to play McNulty for NO GOOD REASON AT ALL and not give a kid who could GET ON THE FIELD AT A TOP 25 PROGRAM (UCF) a chance because "he doesn't know the playbook" or "he is behind because he failed a class"? I'm sorry - McNulty CAN'T PLAY and Greer CAN'T PLAY - so why is Mac so hellbent on the insane behavior of continuing to run these guys out there and let 10 stand on the sidelines with his red baseball hat while our offense is visibly an embarrassment and a consequential hazard to the rest of the football team? 

If you take a look at the offense Chico ran under Dodge and then as interim HC - and even up to 2013 - those offenses looked "different". They also had a much more capable player pulling the trigger and therefore it was easier to "open up the offense" since the QB could complete the basic passing tree routes and was talented and instinctual enough to make some plays. Is it fair to assume that the offense looked like it did Saturday (and in 2014) because of the lack of talent and ability at the QB position?

In another fashion, McCarney has dismissed two highly talented players (Berglund and Williams) and chosen to live with McNulty and Greer (another QB who may look like Joe Montana in practice but cannot hack it under the bright lights of gameday) as his "bus-driver" QB's and quite honestly the results speak for themselves. Probably the worst offensive college football team in the state of Texas (including the Longhorns with Swoopes). You think that kids (recruits) are beating the door down to come play at North Texas? Their Junior High teams are running better offenses than this, and their friend who's their HS quarterback is probably a more talented player than what we have at North Texas (minus DeMarcus Smith). 

This insanity with McNulty and the QB position as a whole is an absolute joke!

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 1