Texas A&M Paying UNT $1.25 Million for 2020 Game

Harry

I would rather not sell out than have a sell out with only 40% UNT fans. I never want to see UT or A&M play here. Or Arkansas. Maybe OSU.

you do realize that there is a FAR greater chance of beating those teams at home, right?

Or would you rather stay on your back with your legs in the air at their house all the time?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would rather focus on eliminating the paycheck game first and foremost.  Once that is accomplished, all the other things people are asking for is possible.  Eliminating the paycheck game will allow us to have 4 different h/h series going at any one time.  Eliminating the paycheck game allows us to have long term series like that with smoo and Army and still be able to bring in a P5 and a G5. 

The trouble is figuring out a way to eliminate that game and still fund the program.  Focus efforts on replacing the paycheck money. 

Dr. Smatresk, you mentioned that the university needs to step up if we are going to field nationally relevant teams.  This is probably the single biggest improvement/investment the university could make that would have a huge impact.  It will cost approximately $500k per year.  What say you?

two questions:

what intangibles has the current AD shown to prove to you that he is anywhere near capable of accomplishing this goal?

Doesnt it bother you that a school that has been playing football for 6 years has figured it out while our 14 year tenured AD hasn't? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

two questions:

what intangibles has the current AD shown to prove to you that he is anywhere near capable of accomplishing this goal?

Doesnt it bother you that a school that has been playing football for 6 years has figured it out while our 14 year tenured AD hasn't? 

interestingly, my solution is not dependent on your buddy. 

• Upvote 2

Your buddy doesn't have the authority.  I am talking about his boss stepping up and providing the necessary funding to the program so it can eliminate the need for the paycheck game.

my buddy is responsible for the allocation of those funds. That's kinda his job. Since he WANTS to play a P5 away from home every year, he will just spend the money on some other "need" item. 

There will never be a UNT/A&M home/home series.  It doesn't matter who the AD is.

True if we insist on playing at Apogee. Third week of State Fair in Cotton Bowl or anytime in Jerry's World much more likely!

yeah Canales was the coach and got to run HIS OFFENSE not Mac's antiquated run first which gets you three and out!

my buddy is responsible for the allocation of those funds. That's kinda his job. Since he WANTS to play a P5 away from home every year, he will just spend the money on some other "need" item. 

So this weird "buddy" side convo you're having is basically saying: "I don't care about the students who represent my University playing Soccer, Track, Swimming, etc.... FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL!!!!!1!1!"

That's absolutely not fair, and I vehemently disagree with that stance.   I want the soccer ladies to have all of the funding they need to excel and win championships, just like football & basketball.

So this weird "buddy" side convo you're having is basically saying: "I don't care about the students who represent my University playing Soccer, Track, Swimming, etc.... FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL!!!!!1!1!"

That's absolutely not fair, and I vehemently disagree with that stance.   I want the soccer ladies to have all of the funding they need to excel and win championships, just like football & basketball.

Nice rabbit trail.

Tell me, do they play those other sports at ODU? How do THEY do what this AD CAN'T.

Also, whose responsibility is it to get fundraising to a point of not having to play these games? How long has that person had to fullfill said responsibilities? 

What you are saying is because we have a crappy AD, we should continue to whore ourselves. What I'm saying is EXPECT MORE! Expect a change at AD, and if the next AD fails at his job, expect another change at AD.

The loser attitude among some of this fan base has never ceased to amaze.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Make no mistake.  Your buddy does what my buddy tells him to do. 

it's also my buddy's JOB to raise these funds of which you speak. Your buddy has FAR more important things to do with his time.

And your buddy is new here. My buddy has had 14 years to manipulate the BOR. He is sucked up tighter than a leach on your pecker after a mid summer mud hole plunge. It's the only way my buddy stays employed. 

Nice rabbit trail.

Tell me, do they play those other sports at ODU? How do THEY do what this AD CAN'T.

Also, whose responsibility is it to get fundraising to a point of not having to play these games? How long has that person had to fullfill said responsibilities? 

What you are saying is because we have a crappy AD, we should continue to whore ourselves. What I'm saying is EXPECT MORE! Expect a change at AD, and if the next AD fails at his job, expect another change at AD.

No rabbit trail.  It's a direct correlation.  The "...other 'need' item..." you speak of above are those other sports at UNT. 
Bolded is the golden question that you or I cannot answer.  You have an assumption based on his tertiary shortcomings that Rick is behind it all.  I have a strong suspicion that it has little to do with the Athletic Directors themselves.

The numbers for Rick's fundraising speak for themselves.  MGC #'s are abysmal.  Yet we're getting all kinds of sweet sweet buildings with sponsorships popping up all over a previously run-down golf course.  It's not as if there is no money coming in.

No rabbit trail.  It's a direct correlation.  The "...other 'need' item..." you speak of above are those other sports at UNT. Bolded is the golden question that you or I cannot answer.  You have an assumption based on his tertiary shortcomings that Rick is behind it all.  I have a strong suspicion that it has little to do with the Athletic Directors themselves.

The numbers for Rick's fundraising speak for themselves.  MGC #'s are abysmal.  Yet we're getting all kinds of sweet sweet buildings with sponsorships popping up all over a previously run-down golf course.  It's not as if there is no money coming in.

that highlights the terrible job this AD has done. And why do you call him by his first name? Do you have a personal relationship with him? Always weird when people do that on here.

The fact that we are getting all these things without on the field and in the stands improvement is completely on this AD. 

Edited by UNT90

that highlights the terrible job this AD has done. And why do you call him by his first name? Do you have a personal relationship with him? Always weird when people do that on here.

The fact that we are getting all these things without on the field and in the stands improvement is completely on this AD. 

Sorry, Mr. Villareal.  Better?  I call him Rick because that's the dude's name.  I think I've said all of 5 words to the man, ever.

I think we've shifted again...  Are you complaining about his coaching hires now?  If so, I can't help but agree.  But, that still wildly tangential to the original issue of scheduling/not scheduling the paycheck games in order to balance the budget.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, Mr. Villareal.  Better?  I call him Rick because that's the dude's name.  I think I've said all of 5 words to the man, ever.

I think we've shifted again...  Are you complaining about his coaching hires now?  If so, I can't help but agree.  But, that still wildly tangential to the original issue of scheduling/not scheduling the paycheck games in order to balance the budget.

it's complete job performance. It's terribly lacking, and has been for years.

I'd rather not get embarrassed at home by a 40/60 crowd and lose by 30, but that's just me. I'd rather take the paycheck and lose by 30 to a game that most of the fans won't be at.

so you think the margin of victory will be the same at home as opposed to road game? You got a lot to learn about college football.

Notice you never once give UNT a chance to win any of these games.

That's an example of the the loser mentality that is so prevelant in this fan base.

As of right now, no I don't. You're exactly right. "Loser mentality" so be it. We don't have the resources to compete with UT or A&M. It's a fixed, broken system.

And on the college football thing, sure. Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Gee, I just hope we can beat Portland St. I mean, if we can do that, it will make our year. Sigh. (Oh wait, Portland St. doesn't have the resources of WSU, yet beat them on the field. Bad comparison on my part).

RV thanks you for buying into his job security plan.

This fan base needs (and has needed for a long time) to demand better.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nice rabbit trail.

http://augustafreepress.com/odu-football-season-tickets-sell-out-for-seventh-straight-year/

This is why.

I am in the camp that RV must go.  I think he must go because we need  someone that can find the donations we need to grow the program.  We need to get someone that can get more season tickets sold.  Yes he has accomplished some things under his watch.  Yes I do remember how bad it was.  Still his job is like everyone else's.  It is based on what are you doing for me now.

Thank you RV.  I would love to put your name on a building after you go, but the thrill is gone.  We have to make a change.

• Upvote 3

#UNTADforlife

Unless the BOR decides to fund this thing to get rid of poor coaches as needed, not when deemed acceptable for a buyout, the whore game has to stay around, just to pay for the non-revenue sports. The easiest way to do it would to have an AD and staff that could raise funds better than they do, but its never easy to raise money when you lose at the sports people care about. But our AD instead just goes to the BOR and shows them how we are in budget and that's all they care about--doesn't matter that we have gotten there by having 2 five home game seasons in the last 4, and that we hosted FCS Texas Southern and Portland State in those two years. Next, he will say, don't you love tailgating and how much the fanbase loves it? Then he gets to say I even got evil, powerhouse SMU to agree to play a home-and-home series with us for 12 years. And then the pats on the back come from the BOR, the extensions get offered, and the contracts get accepted--and that's how you get to be the #UNTADforlife.

As a reminder, football at UNT has a 64-107 record in RV's tenure. And when you factor in both basketball programs in his tenure, along with football, our AD has watched over our three revenue programs at a .456 winning percentage (thank God for Johnny Jones or we might not even be at a .400 clip) He has hired or extended on his watch the following: Darrell Dickey, Todd Dodge, and Dan McCarney in football, Johnny Jones and Tony Benford in mens hoops, and Shanice Stephens, Karen Aston, Mike Petersen, and Jalie Mitchell in womens hoops. Of that group, Todd Dodge and Shanice Stephens are the worst of all time in their sports in the history of our school, while Tony Benford wasted the best team we certainly had since the 70s, maybe forever, and Mike Petersen is not viewed as the worst in womens hoops because of Shanice Stephens. Obviously, we will never know how Aston would've done here over the long-term, but hopefully our own Jalie Mitchell will bring her history of success to a program that is just plain awful. Darrell Dickey and Dan McCarney basically look the same, x's and o's wise, as well as winning percentage wise here, so that leaves Johnny Jones as the best he's had. 1 sure hit out of 9, with a very probable hire that will need to be made again in mens hoops at some point in 2016. I'm sure that will work out great for us!! But I'm even more certain that RV will be receiving another extension very soon, on the way toward being here for another decade at least, and will involve the athletic complex being named after him.

#UNTADforlife

• Upvote 3

As of right now, no I don't. You're exactly right. "Loser mentality" so be it. We don't have the resources to compete with UT or A&M. It's a fixed, broken system.

And on the college football thing, sure. Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

but a school with 6 years experience playing at this level, strike that, playing college football, does?

If what you say is true, we need to just stop pretending to be an FBS entity and drop to FCS level. 

It saddens me to see such a young fan have such low expectations for this program. It's the RV Effect, no doubt.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2