Gainesville Caravan

KRAM1

tables were full today at the White Elephant Saloon, and Lance Dunbar was in attendance.

I had to stifle a "whoop" when Coach Benford said "Texas A&M"...they're involuntary. I thought Coach Sheffield did a great job talking; he gave all the pertinent information in a succinct manner without getting long-winded. I was hoping to ask him a couple of questions while also discovering Mac's thoughts on sharing athletes, but I didn't get my questions in.

• Upvote 5

KRAM, were you offended by Coach asking you to show up?

I buy season tickets to football, never miss a home game and try to see 1-2 road games/year. Show up for 1-2 basketball games/year.

I would assume he is not talking to me about football and talking to me about basketball. Either way, don't take it personally fellas.

Nothing wrong with asking for the business when the customer is sitting in front of you at a free (?) event.

GMG

No...only time I have felt Coach Mac went a bit overboard was at the signing day event. Any characterization of Mac going over board with it at Gainesvilke is just incorrect. No problem at all with Coaches extorting fans to show up and bring other people. If the most passionate of fans are not willing to help, there is more to the problem than a few coaches extorting folks to come out and support their teams.

• Upvote 3

It gets harder and harder every year. It took me from the last Dickey Bowl all the way to last season to give up on my diehard football ways. Hell... If the Benny disaster had been put to death in a timely fashion I'd probably still be football optimistic now. Checkout quickly or you'll soon not be able to muster up a single damn about any collegiate sport as they just make you angry when you relate them back your beloved alma mater.

Sounds about right. Hell, when was the last time UNT90 posted on here? Hard to retain fans who have expectations when an AD whose 6 revenue sports hires, before Mitchell, in the last decade have produced 1 winning season out of 18, yet he insists he has brought in the coaches who can take us where we want to go based on that 1 winning season.

That's a slap in the face of you really care about this school taking its athletics serious, IMO. There have been a lot of slaps in the faces of those types of fans, hence why so many have given up.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

Good point on 90 though, has he given up? Not to take away from your very valid point of RV needing to be fired.

Ha! Doubtful...perhaps he was given a few days off. UNT90 has Club Seats and is a current MGC member and an ardent tailgater. He is either taking a break like others have done or just given up on the board...not UNT. He'll be back...book it!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

April 18, 2015

Running back Andrew Tucker, who had a touchdown Saturday, fends off a defender (photo by David Pyke)

DENTON - Senior quarterback Andrew McNulty threw for 342 yards and three touchdowns, all to sophomore wide receiver Turner Smiley, in Saturday's Green-White spring football game at Apogee Stadium.

The game, which ends the Mean Green's 2015 spring practices, was a 48-36 win for the White Team, which got a pair of touchdowns from tight end Chris Loving and 70 yards rushing from running back Willie Ivery.

Spring Game Photo Gallery

McNulty accounted for four touchdowns, three through the air - including an 11-yard toss to Smiley for a 36-35 lead in the fourth quarter - and one on the ground, and completed 14 of 29 passes with no interceptions.

But an interception by Matthew Dash, a senior defensive back, set up the White team for the go-ahead score, and quarterback Josh Greer threw an 11-yard scoring pass to redshirt freshman Tee Goree for the winning touchdown.

Defensively, linebacker Cortney Finney, a junior transfer from Trinity Valley Community College, had 10.5 tackles, sophomore linebacker Kishawn McClain had 10 tackles, linebacker Blake Bean had eight, and junior defensive tackle Sir Calvin Wallace had six. Defensive end Jarrien Roberts had two and a half sacks while defensive end Chad Polk and defensive tackle Austin Orr had two sacks each.

"There's a lot of competition in this room," North Texas coach Dan McCarney said after the game, addressing the team in the lockerroom. "We've got a chance to be a damned good football team."

Quick Hits

· Prior to Saturday's game, North Texas inducted five new members to its Athletics Hall of Fame: George Dunham, Leonard Dunlap, Walter Johnson, Judy Nelson And Willie Parker.

· North Texas also announced its new play-by-play man on the Mean Green Radio Network. Dave Barnett, a Denton native and North Texas grad who has been the voice of the Dallas Mavericks and Texas Rangers, will take over from George Dunham, who retired from the MGRN earlier this year.

· Sophomore kicker Trevor Moore made three of four field-goal attempts, hitting from 26, 40 and 35 yards.

· Senior defensive back Kenny Buyers had an interception for the Green Team.

· There were six touchdown passes Saturday, three by McNulty and one each by Josh Greer, Dajon Williams and Quinn Shanbour, who threw an 11-yard score to Chris Loving in the third quarter.

· North Texas announced that three walk-ons had earned scholarships: junior offensive lineman Sam Rice, redshirt freshman defensive back Cedric Fernandes and senior linebacker Blake Bean.

MAC "fire and brimstone" = pure BS. People have a day job and it is Not doing the A. D. staff's work. Entirely turns me off and the reason I took SMU in the opener and gave 7 for $100. Players don't believe this B.S. anymore either!!

• Upvote 2

Sorry to get on my soapbox again, but I don't understand why coaches at these events are telling our most loyal fans that more people need to show up to games etc? Duh! We (the fans) are showing up and I would hazard a guess that most if not all who attend the Caravans are season ticket holders and diehards. This is not the audience for that message. Now if the message is prefaced by, "I know this does not apply to you" or "bring a friend, or a neighbor " I get that -- but honestly I think most who attend already being friends to the games as well. Shouldn't this type of plea be going out to the many alumni who aren't attending games or are disengaged from athletics? Why not send an impassioned plea letter out in the North Texan or some other widespread means that might actually end up garnering some damn results?

I just don't like the impassioned plea message being directed to loyal fans who are already doing what they can. How about thanking those in attendance for supporting the programs? It is supposed to be a fun event and I don't see why there needs to be the guilt trip laid on folks. gmg

Hmmm, so nothing has changed in overall message since the Fort Worth Caravan in 2012?

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• Cerebus unpinned this topic
  • 4 months later...