Breaking — Sam Miller has decided to give up football

Harry

The problem here that anyone paying attention can see is, our coaching staff has a pattern of having difficulty signing quality D linemen. This pattern has become so obvious that it allowed guys like SUMG to predict that this would happen with this kid weeks before. Why does this staff struggle so bad in recruiting D linemen?

We offer a good education. We have good facilities. We have a great location. We have room on our roster that allows us to sell the MOST important thing a recruit is interested in, PLAYING TIME. We offer recruits the opportunity to showcase their talents in a competitive league that can lead to the next level, and we have several examples to this.

So why are we getting schooled by the likes of ULM and their $4.1 Million football budget for D linemen?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 2

The problem here that anyone paying attention can see is, our coaching staff has a pattern of having difficulty signing quality D linemen. This pattern has become so obvious that it allowed guys like SUMG to predict that this would happen with this kid weeks before. Why does this staff struggle so bad in recruiting D linemen?

We offer a good education. We have good facilities. We have a great location. We have room on our roster that allows us to sell the MOST important thing a recruit is interested in, PLAYING TIME. We offer recruits the opportunity to showcase their talents in a competitive league that can lead to the next level, and we have several examples to this.

So why are we getting schooled by the likes of ULM and their $4.1 Million football budget for D linemen?

Rick

They offer his best buddy QB also.

No quality d-linemen? Maybe it is because we only had a couple graduate and a lot of underclassmen per Billy's analysis of the position. I would also guess players like Johnson, Flusche, Moore, Wallace, Orr, Tauaalo and Watson would disagree with your assessment that this staff has dificulty signing quality d-linemen considering you probably sang each of these player's praises when they signed with us.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

No quality d-linemen? Maybe it is because we only had a couple graduate and a lot of underclassmen per Billy's analysis of the position. I would also guess players like Johnson, Flusche, Moore, Wallace, Orr, Tauaalo and Watson would disagree with your assessment that this staff has dificulty signing quality d-linemen considering you probably sang each of these player's praises when they signed with us.

I have no idea how many of these others were well recruited or not but Flusche was a walk on. But don't let that get in the way of a good excuse.

Rick

• Downvote 1

I still thought we needed to sign a big d-line class. The number of seniors is not necessarily a number that determines how many players you sign at that position. It's more to show how many scholarship spots are opening at that position. If you lose a lot then you may need a JUCO or two in addition to getting high school kids.

I projected that we'd get/we needed about 5-6 d-linemen. Even though we weren't losing many d-linemen, we only signed 2 high school d-linemen last class and 1 the class before. So we needed/need to add quite a few young guys to the roster

The d-linemen you mentioned really haven't proven a whole lot yet. Our d-line was not a strength last year but it also wasn't the weakness that a lot of people harped about. The problem is that there isn't much all conference potential. Serviceable guys, but Tillman Johnson by his senior year is really the only guy who looks like he's following the track to being an all-conference guy. Calling them quality d-linemen may be a little premature.

Even if they become quality d-linemen, only Johnson, Moore, and Orr were quality pickups and good jobs recruiting. The other guys you mentioned didn't have any other FBS offers, and one was a walkon. That's the problem. We need to be able to get d-linemen who other FBS schools want with more frequency.

• Upvote 1

My point was that, one, you disrespect each of these players with your statement, and two, and most important, you were welcoming these young men to UNT when they signed and probably singing their praises. I would agree that this year has been baffling, but I also see us going after higher rated recruits than previous staffs and are not having success getting them here. I wish we would go after some others like the young man out of SOC with multiple offers. Then again, we may end up with the DE Combs, the DT out of Utah and another one or two in the next few weeks. If so, all,of this habd wringing willnbe for naught.

Then again, I should never question your judgement.

I also see us going after higher rated recruits than previous staffs and are not having success getting them here..

This is complete BS. Previous coaches went after just as many "higher rated" recruits, even landing a few.

DL recruiting has been awful, from missing on some of the DTs we did sign to simply not getting it done numbers wise. If you can't see that, you are intentionally closing your eyes to the obvious.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

From what I heard, Miller missed most of the season, too.

Thank you. I thought I read an article mentioning him around game 3 or 4. Could be wrong, as I was having trouble finding anything on Miller's season, especially after that.

But still, I can't imagine we pulled his offer for an injury that didn't truly prohibit him from playing in college.

• 2 weeks later...

Miller made the 1st team all ETSN Super Team.

http://etsn.fm/etsn-fm-2014-east-texas-football-super-team-first-team/?trackback=twitter_top

What's interesting is that it said he had 15 sacks. We can rule out that we cooled on him because of a bad senior (could've ruled that out from the beginning), and if he had that much production then he couldn't have missed too many games. I really, really doubt we dropped him. I'm thinking he might've been rubbed the wrong way by our recruitment of his QB and good friend Chandler Eiland, or he just wanted to play at ULM with Eiland.

Either way, still weird and a lot of unknown, but he did have a big senior year.

McDorman

I think he's referring to Hunter Siddons from Lake Travis. Mcdorman was here for a season. Siddons, we pulled his offer during his senior year.

Again, I just don't think there's any injury that is not severe enough to prohibit Miller from playing college football, but severe enough for us to pull his scholarship. ESPN had Siddons highly rated, but the other services didn't, and we were his only offer. With all due respect to him and his family (Mom posted on here and kindly gave us some info), he was not the prospect Miller was.

Sorry for bringing Miller up, I just saw the East Texas Super teams and thought it was worth mentioning.

Edited by BillySee58

I think he's referring to Hunter Siddons from Lake Travis. Mcdorman was here for a season. Siddons, we pulled his offer during his senior year.

Again, I just don't think there's any injury that is not severe enough to prohibit Miller from playing college football, but severe enough for us to pull his scholarship.

Actually the greyshirted McDorman and then decided to pull the greyshirt right before the season? but you are right it was Siddons I think he was referencing because we pulled his offer.

Actually the greyshirted McDorman and then decided to pull the greyshirt right before the season? but you are right it was Siddons I think he was referencing because we pulled his offer.

Mcdorman was on the team in 2012, but had to give up football after the season. He was going to be grayshirted to save room for Brock Berglund, then when we found out Berglund had to go JUCO first, we let Mcdorman enroll in the fall instead of the spring.

It was a confusing ride, but here's an article I could find talking about how he had to give up football after redshirting.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20130502-football-unt-senior-dt-suspended-after-arrest.ece

• Upvote 1

Again, I just don't think there's any injury that is not severe enough to prohibit Miller from playing college football, but severe enough for us to pull his scholarship. ESPN had Siddons highly rated, but the other services didn't, and we were his only offer. With all due respect to him and his family (Mom posted on here and kindly gave us some info), he was not the prospect Miller was.

Sorry for bringing Miller up, I just saw the East Texas Super teams and thought it was worth mentioning.

Yes I couldn't remember his name for the life of me. "Highly rated" is a stretch especially since it was ESPN but I couldn't remember much about him other than he was the first guy rated 3* by any service committed to us.