'15 JUCO LB Antreon Bennett (Mississippi)

BillySee58

A little surprised were going after a Juco LB. thought we had a lot of young talent here.

And why aren't we going after any Juco DL?!?

We're losing our only consistent linebacker (Akunne) and we don't have a true SAM type linebacker to replace him. We had a revolving door at WILL (although that doesn't seem to be the position we're recruiting JUCOs at) and Fred Scott and Anthony Wallace struggled.

These JUCO linebackers are inside linebacker types who could also take our open spot at SAM. Or possibly overtake Scott/Wallace inside.

As far as d-line, we have two d-ends with returning experience (Polk and Roberts), Tillman Johnson who I think will start, Malik Dilonga, and a true freshman in Sam Miller who is the most high-profile defensive recruit we've ever had committed during the recruiting website era. At d-tackle Watson, Wallace, and Orr all have starting experience and we only graduated one defensive tackle. I guess the coaches feel confident in those guys.

We're losing our only consistent linebacker (Akunne) and we don't have a true SAM type linebacker to replace him. We had a revolving door at WILL (although that doesn't seem to be the position we're recruiting JUCOs at) and Fred Scott and Anthony Wallace struggled.

These JUCO linebackers are inside linebacker types who could also take our open spot at SAM. Or possibly overtake Scott/Wallace inside.

As far as d-line, we have two d-ends with returning experience (Polk and Roberts), Tillman Johnson who I think will start, Malik Dilonga, and a true freshman in Sam Miller who is the most high-profile defensive recruit we've ever had committed during the recruiting website era. At d-tackle Watson, Wallace, and Orr all have starting experience and we only graduated one defensive tackle. I guess the coaches feel confident in those guys.

I guess I just feel there are bigger Juco needs. One of those being DT. We may be returning people but none of them are even close to being difference makers.

• Upvote 1

I guess I just feel there are bigger Juco needs. One of those being DT. We may be returning people but none of them are even close to being difference makers.

It also comes down to what we can get. We have a lot of defensive tackles on scholarship, we only lost one, and we're bringing in at least two more high school DTs. If you're going to bring in a JUCO DT at this point, then you need him to be a difference maker.

I don't know if we can get a JUCO DT better than Watson, Wallace, Orr, and Moore. A JUCO DT who could start over those guys will probably have a really extensive offer list. Those guys are just in such high demand. You could more realistically get a guy who could overtake a guy like Calvin Minor and take over for Akunne at SAM linebacker. Or challenge Scott and Wallace at MLB. Those JUCOs are not as high in demand, so you don't have to beat out a bunch of schools or P5 schools for an impact player at those positions.

It also comes down to what we can get. We have a lot of defensive tackles on scholarship, we only lost one, and we're bringing in at least two more high school DTs. If you're going to bring in a JUCO DT at this point, then you need him to be a difference maker.

I don't know if we can get a JUCO DT better than Watson, Wallace, Orr, and Moore. A JUCO DT who could start over those guys will probably have a really extensive offer list. Those guys are just in such high demand. You could more realistically get a guy who could overtake a guy like Calvin Minor and take over for Akunne at SAM linebacker. Or challenge Scott and Wallace at MLB. Those JUCOs are not as high in demand, so you don't have to beat out a bunch of schools or P5 schools for an impact player at those positions.

Damn you Billy! Stop giving me reasonable explanations, ones that I know and agree with with. I'm just over this staff and its lackluster recruiting.

We use to compete with TCU and Baylor for recruits, now we compete with TX State and UTSA. We were losing battles to a SMU team that won 1 game this season and now they've added a great coach/recruiter. Recruiting is everything in college football and were going to get our asses handed to us this cycle.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree. We've got to find something more than rotation players. The majority of the front played so inconsistently they should expect to be replaced. -hope we hang on to Miller. I'd like to see Miller & T. Johnson develop into a threat off the edge.