A look at North Texas key position battles this spring

Harry

If there isn't marked improvement in the QB's, then Canales should be held accountable. His resume always touts Phillip Rivers yet Rivers has been in the NFL for like a decade or so.

I agree about the accountability part, but I think we're fooling ourselves if we think getting rid of Canales and keeping Mccarney is going to change much. Mccarney is the end all, be all with QB evaluations and decisions, and if you don't believe me you can see what Chris Riddle's dad posted in his thread.

I think Canales is an average OC, and a decent QB developer (done a pretty good job getting about as much as you could've asked out of DT and Mcnulty). There is room to upgrade. But look at how different our offense is with Mccarney from when Canales was the interim HC, or when he was at USF for that matter. This is Mccarney's offense, and I don't see how that would change with a new OC.

Also, look at the success Canales' QBs at USF (Matt Grothe and BJ Daniels) had at USF. Both were 6'0" at best. Mccarney has made it clear that he's only recruiting 6'2"+ QBs for his heavy-under-center offense. But we're not recruiting to Florida, or even Iowa State. We're recruiting to North Texas. And at the rate that we've been winning recruiting battles, or lack thereof, it's hard to get good QBs that are 6'2"+. Because the good ones are highly recruited. But QBs around 6'0" might be good but still get passed up by the P5 schools because of their height, like a Rakeem Cato, and still be good enough to be a good CUSA QB.

So something has to change. If we want good tall QBs then we need to start winning the recruiting battles necessary, unless we limit our constraints on QBs we recruit (and their height). If those don't change then it won't matter who our OC/QB coach is.

That's why I find it so weird we won't give Kevin Dillman a chance, considering he is a 6'4" QB who was offered by a lot of big-time schools.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I agree about the accountability part, but I think we're fooling ourselves if we think getting rid of Canales and keeping Mccarney is going to change much. Mccarney is the end all, be all with QB evaluations and decisions, and if you don't believe me you can see what Chris Riddle's dad posted in his thread.

I think Canales is an average OC, and a decent QB developer (done a pretty good job getting about as much as you could've asked out of DT and Mcnulty). There is room to upgrade. But look at how different our offense is with Mccarney from when Canales was the interim HC, or when he was at USF for that matter. This is Mccarney's offense, and I don't see how that would change with a new OC.

Also, look at the success Canales' QBs at USF (Matt Grothe and BJ Daniels) had at USF. Both were 6'0" at best. Mccarney has made it clear that he's only recruiting 6'2"+ QBs for his heavy-under-center offense. But we're not recruiting to Florida, or even Iowa State. We're recruiting to North Texas. And at the rate that we've been winning recruiting battles, or lack thereof, it's hard to get good QBs that are 6'2"+. Because the good ones are highly recruited. But QBs around 6'0" might be good but still get passed up by the P5 schools because of their height, like a Rakeem Cato, and still be good enough to be a good CUSA QB.

So something has to change. If we want good tall QBs then we need to start winning the recruiting battles necessary, unless we limit our constraints on QBs we recruit (and their height). If those don't change then it won't matter who our OC/QB coach is.

That's why I find it so weird we won't give Kevin Dillman a chance, considering he is a 6'4" QB who was offered by a lot of big-time schools.

when they showed his highlight tapes at the signing event, there was one play where he took off running from a QB position. I don't know if it was a JV highlight or varsity highlight from California, but he took off and left everyone behind by about 20 yards. It was freaky how fast he looked on that play. If he is really as fast as he looked in that play, then if he is relegated to playing TE they MUST put in the TE-around play just for him.

when they showed his highlight tapes at the signing event, there was one play where he took off running from a QB position. I don't know if it was a JV highlight or varsity highlight from California, but he took off and left everyone behind by about 20 yards. It was freaky how fast he looked on that play. If he is really as fast as he looked in that play, then if he is relegated to playing TE they MUST put in the TE-around play just for him.

Yup. He played some varsity as a freshman, then all season on varsity as a sophomore and junior. He only played JV as a senior at Guyer because he was ruled ineligible.