Upset of the day?

DeepGreen

Well this ruins my Pick 'Ems this week. But good for Conference USA!!!

Except, let me get this straight. FIU loses to FCS Bethune Cookman 2 years in a row, and somehow starts an upset bid against UAB? I know UAB isn't all that great, but they could certainly keep FIU at bay... or so I thought.

Edited by Jason Howeth

Here's an upset that could possibly influence us in a very positive way this year.

Yale beat Army 49 to 43 today dropping Army's record to 1 and 3. Army's remaining schedule includes Ball State, Rice, Air Force, Western Kentucky, and Navy and they will not be favored in any of those.

Why is this loss important for North Texas?

The American Athletic Conference (AAC) is slated to face off against the United States Military Academy (Army) in the 2014 Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl. Army will qualify for bowl-eligibility with six wins. This will be the first time a member of the AAC has participated in the game. New AAC football members, Cincinnati (2004), Houston (2005, 2008, 2009), SMU (2010) and Tulsa (2006, 2011) have all previously participated in the Armed Forces Bowl as members of other conferences.

If Army doesn't win six, the Armed Forces Bowl will be looking to find an opponent that can sell tickets for the January 2 game in Fort Worth.

Win 6 or more and North Texas will probably get that spot.

That would be awesome.

My fear is that we go 6-6 or 7-5 and don't have a place to go.

Ft. Worth would be a great consolation prize.

I still say 7-5 and New Mexico Bowl, but here's hoping for Ft. Worth.

• Upvote 1

I think there were a ton of good ones. Good to see that not only UAB, but also Indiana are up-and-down so both of those are more winnable than some people have been fearing. The Pitt/Akron upset was interesting, as was Mizzou knocking SC down to a 3-2 record. Also interesting to see Michigan take another beating. Definitely crossing my fingers (again!) for a HOD bowl bid against a B1G team, especially Michigan. It would be nice to get a big-name opponent close to home, even though I won't be there. Now, if UNT86 is right and we do the New Mexico Bowl (which a few others said as well), that's a lot closer so I bet we could pull that off!

FAU was already so close to being an 8 or 9 win team last year. Expect a lot more this year. Of course, they did beat UTSA at home so at least we have the advantage of having them at Apogee. A lot of good that did against La. Tech, I know, but now that we're likely to average more than 20 yds/half in passing....