Rick v do the right thing

Delusion much?

Sadly, I think they are more concerned with paying off a contract than firing anyone.

And they damn sure are not firing RV after just giving him an extension (albeit a very very small one that doesn't scream confidence). They damn sure wont pay off 2 contracts in one fell swoop.

The wild card in this is the new president, although I doubt he has the clout todo anything even if he wanted to.

Year three of Benford means the complete destruction of this program.

And I really think some on this board care far more than the powers that be at UNT.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sadly, I think they are more concerned with paying off a contract than firing anyone.

And they damn sure are not firing RV after just giving him an extension (albeit a very very small one that doesn't scream confidence). They damn sure wont pay off 2 contracts in one fell swoop.

The wild card in this is the new president, although I doubt he has the clout todo anything even if he wanted to.

Year three of Benford means the complete destruction of this program.

And I really think some on this board care far more than the powers that be at UNT.

This is what worries me most. WE (North Texas) laid out a litany of poor justifications and allowed Todd Dodge a fourth year when it was abundantly clear that was a mistake. WE took the "cost effective" route. And WE watched him completely gut the football program.

Not some other school where we just heard the horror story...we lived it. Not some cautionary tale from across the country. Right here at North Texas we've been down this EXACT SAME road. And we're on the verge of doing the EXACT SAME thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know why we (ok, me) couldn't see that no one was hiring Benford.

Plenty of interviews, no head coaching job. That should have been a concern.

Now we know why.

What concerns me is that RV didn't see this! He couldn't see the forest for the trees. Oh, I forgot, Benford came from that "big time" program Marquette.

• Upvote 1

Nope. I think the delusion comes from people who think RV has a good eye for coaching talent.

Maybe if RV and his staff had a clue, you wouldn't have to do so much free promotion work for them.

So true. Unfortunately, RV has taken us as far as he can, he isn't capable of much more. However, we have people who remember how it was under Hewlig and are convinced RV is pure gold. Are we better off than we were under Hewlig? Absolutely yes. Are we where we should be after??? years of RV? Absolutely not. We need to cut ties with RV and go for a major AD hire. Like UNT90 has stated so many times (and rightly so) NT strives for mediocrity.

• Upvote 2

I admit, I haven't read much on the hoops board since the Benford hire and subsequent disappointing on-court results, but it seems the hire was made primary because of his recruiting ties - specifically, his ability to "re-recruit" TMitch.

With the state that the football team was in at the time, RV needed TM to stay around so that there would be something to bring hope to supporters/fans and must have felt Benford was the best way to keep TM in Denton.

Again, I haven't read much of the board, so this may be either far too obvious or very wrong but it's all I can come up with.

I admit, I haven't read much on the hoops board since the Benford hire and subsequent disappointing on-court results, but it seems the hire was made primary because of his recruiting ties - specifically, his ability to "re-recruit" TMitch.

With the state that the football team was in at the time, RV needed TM to stay around so that there would be something to bring hope to supporters/fans and must have felt Benford was the best way to keep TM in Denton.

Again, I haven't read much of the board, so this may be either far too obvious or very wrong but it's all I can come up with.

Tony Mitchell wanted Shawn Forrest or Fran Fraschilla to get the gig, right?

• Upvote 2