New QB Quinn Shanbour showing up on workout reports

Harry

1 minute ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Again...apples and oranges.  The guys you name actually started at QB in college:

Romo:  http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerQB.asp?id=3357
Fitzpatrick:  http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerQB.asp?id=1259
Warner:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Warner

Name the college where Shanbour started within four years?  Played at all, at any time?  You see why these are apples and oranges-type of comparisons yet?

Uh, last I checked Shanbour's college career is not yet over, and he in fact has two years of eligibility left to possibly become a starter. Btw, tell your brother hello for me, and I'm still pulling for him to prove that he can be our starter. Which would also be his first time as a starter by the way. And no, I'm not forgetting about that one pass at Holy Alabama.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenMailbox said:

My brother is 45 years old...and, so, not really eligible to play college football anymore? But, all the same, I'll tell him.

Son? LOL. I know we will all keep talking about it, but it'll work out the way it works out regardless of what we all have to say. Even though I lean toward Morris, I honestly have an open mind about our QB situation. I just don't think Shanbour should be ruled out simply because he followed his dream by walking on at a crowded Okie State, rather than pursuing an FCS situation where he would likely have had a better opportunity. The guy has two years left and we shall see.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Again...apples and oranges.  The guys you name actually started at QB in college:

Romo:  http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerQB.asp?id=3357
Fitzpatrick:  http://www.totalfootballstats.com/PlayerQB.asp?id=1259
Warner:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Warner

Name the college where Shanbour started within four years?  Played at all, at any time?  You see why these are apples and oranges-type of comparisons yet?

I'm supposed to throw into the mix Shanbour not even being able to crack a kneel down in college four years out of high school to Romo, Fitzgerald, and Warner because those guys were I-AA? 

Saying Shanbour is short but it doesn't matter is different than saying, say, Russell Wilson is shorter but still made to the NFL.  Wilson actually started at two different colleges http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/russell-wilson-1.html...after taking a redshirt season.  A starter as a redshirt freshman at NC State.  That story line doesn't strike you as different at all than Shanbour's just because they both list a 5'11"?

Again, were not into any type of well trod territory here with Shanbour.  But, because we are UNT fans, starved for any type of football success, we're going to elevate him into some sort of mythical status based on...nothing really.  A spring game that our new head coach said wasn't really even a spring game?

Sheesh.

Language warning:

Yet Morris had a whopping 3 offers out of High School. 3. Alabama, UNT, and Wake Forrest.

And Morris did what over recruited kids do. He sat on the bench, just like Shanbour, for the last 4 years, never able to even land the backup spot. 

He is taller than Shanbour. If Shanbour had Morris's size out of high school, he would have had MORE offers because he is much more mobile. But he didn't. How does it feel to be Dan McCarney, Mailbox? 

So here UNT fans sit. Arguing over 2 completely unproven QBs of which not a one of us know would be the better option. We should be cussing the current state of the QB situation instead of arguing over 2 very mediocre options...

If I were head coach, I'd alternate them every other series in practice with the first team, and then I'd alternate them every other series against SMU until one proved better than the other.

Thats probably why I'm not coach. ?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

While we're writing Morris off as a career third stringer I guess we have to conveniently forget that he led the Alabama QB race at one point last year: 

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/report-alec-morris-now-leading-alabama-quarterback-competition/

Remind me, when did Shanbour lead the QB race anywhere...much less at the national champion program?  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

While we're writing Morris off as a career third stringer I guess we have to conveniently forget that he led the Alabama QB race at one point last year: 

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/report-alec-morris-now-leading-alabama-quarterback-competition/

Remind me, when did Shanbour lead the QB race anywhere...much less at the national champion program?  

That report was obviously wrong. Sabin knew who he wanted after the second scrimmage, a mere 2 weeks before the first game of the season, and it wasn't Morris. 

Not only did he not want him as the starter, he didn't want him on the 2 deep.

So, you either have to believe Morris went from 1st to 3rd team in 2 weeks OR that report was complete bullshit. The evidence suggests option 2. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

That report was obviously wrong. Sabin knew who he wanted after the second scrimmage, a mere 2 weeks before the first game of the season, and it wasn't Morris. 

Not only did he not want him as the starter, he didn't want him on the 2 deep.

So, you either have to believe Morris went from 1st to 3rd team in 2 weeks OR that report was complete bullshit. The evidence suggests option 2. 

He was still third string at a national champion program. Not saying that he is the cream of the crop, but he's a QB who didn't just have UNT as his only offer to play college football. 

8 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

He was still third string at a national champion program. Not saying that he is the cream of the crop, but he's a QB who didn't just have UNT as his only offer to play college football. 

But if he were the same height as Shanbour, the offers would have been very similar. Size got him the extra offers, not some huge talent gap, that is my point. 

Oh, and I think either QB is going to have a airplane-delivered terrorist kite of hate speech year.

Lol. Still there. ?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

If Morris does start for us in the opening game, surely he will be better than what we saw last year from our quarterbacking corps.  Won't we????

The bar is set very low for Morris, as far as will he be better?. He would honesty have to go full Josh Greer to fudge up his reputation/playing time....

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

He was only at OSU for one spring semester before coming here. He got a serious turf toe injury and they let him go. He came to NT and once healthy, was stuck behind the immovable force that was McCarney's son. Maybe they left him on the pine because he is a better quarterback coach than Chico. It was clear that any quarterback that was under 6' and not his favorite son would never see the 3-deep on a McCarney team. Maybe Shanbour will suck, and if so, I hope that Morris, Fine, or O'Hara, can have at least a DT-caliber season. I just think the kid deserves a shot for the hard work that he has put in. I hate it when a qb is annointed before he has proven anything. I think a qb should have to earn the job and not have it handed to him because he held a clipboard at a national champion program.

18 hours ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

He backed up one of the better QBs in th SEC, and was the #2 QB as well on multiple national championship teams, oh and practiced with some of the top QBs in the nation... UNT QBs have done what in recent years that compare to BAMA QBs??

He was never above #3 on the depth chart for any Bama game.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

He was only at OSU for one spring semester before coming here. He got a serious turf toe injury and they let him go. He came to NT and once healthy, was stuck behind the immovable force that was McCarney's son. Maybe they left him on the pine because he is a better quarterback coach than Chico. It was clear that any quarterback that was under 6' and not his favorite son would never see the 3-deep on a McCarney team. Maybe Shanbour will suck, and if so, I hope that Morris, Fine, or O'Hara, can have at least a DT-caliber season. I just think the kid deserves a shot for the hard work that he has put in. I hate it when a qb is annointed before he has proven anything. I think a qb should have to earn the job and not have it handed to him because he held a clipboard at a national champion program.

He was never above #3 on the depth chart for any Bama game.

This goes both ways.   What on earth has Shanbour 'proven'?   

It doesn't matter what anyone here thinks.  It matters what the coaches think.   There is a quote from coach Harrell saying that Morris should win the job easily.  That quote should be taken seriously.  Harrell has seen/spoken to all of the QBs on this roster.  It's his job to evaluate the talent.

If hard work earns the starting QB job, then no one can criticize McNulty starting over the past 2 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It doesn't matter what anyone here thinks.  It matters what the coaches think.   There is a quote from coach Harrell saying that Morris should win the job easily.  That quote should be taken seriously.  Harrell has seen/spoken to all of the QBs on this roster.  It's his job to evaluate the talent.

If hard work earns the starting QB job, then no one can criticize McNulty starting over the past 2 years.

100% agree Shanbour hasn't proven anything except that he deserves just as much of a shot to earn the job as Morris.

McNulty didn't win the job because he outworked anybody, he won the job because he was the son of the coach's best friend. plain and simple. I bet if you go back and look at the workout reports, McNulty likely never outworked Shanbour, still Shanbour was given no shot.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

100% agree Shanbour hasn't proven anything except that he deserves just as much of a shot to earn the job as Morris.

McNulty didn't win the job because he outworked anybody, he won the job because he was the son of the coach's best friend. plain and simple. I bet if you go back and look at the workout reports, McNulty likely never outworked Shanbour, still Shanbour was given no shot.

We can root for the little guy to come up and get his shot.  I get it.  I like that story too.  And if he does, great!

But you ignored the part where Harrell (the guy making the decisions) said he expects Morris to win the job easily.   It really doesn't matter what we think.  

And when comparing to the McCarney/McNulty nepotism, I think most saw that a mile away.  That's not the case now with Harrell & Morris/Shanbour.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

We can root for the little guy to come up and get his shot.  I get it.  I like that story too.  And if he does, great!

But you ignored the part where Harrell (the guy making the decisions) said he expects Morris to win the job easily.   It really doesn't matter what we think.  

And when comparing to the McCarney/McNulty nepotism, I think most saw that a mile away.  That's not the case now with Harrell & Morris/Shanbour.

I get all that, I just think Harrell should keep it close to the vest so Morris doesn't slack because he is comfortable knowing he will be the starter.

I don't think there is any nepotism now, I was just saying that Shanbour wasn't given a shot because people say he hasn't done anything while here. He simply wasn't given an opportunity to do anything here until Littrell (who showed interest in him while at Indiana) arrived.

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

McNulty put in the hard work to start the game. But we all found out that that hard work couldn't convert to well played skills all the time. I see where you're coming from, but there needs to be a fine line between a QB who puts in hard work off the field to a QB that is productive on the field. The last coach couldn't get that through his thick skull...

I think that you're definitely right, the new offensive coaching staff has this last call. And I'm not forming a hardened opinion and disagreeing until after the season starts.

8 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I get all that, I just think Harrell should keep it close to the vest so Morris doesn't slack because he is comfortable knowing he will be the starter.

I don't think there is any nepotism now, I was just saying that Shanbour wasn't given a shot because people say he hasn't done anything while here. He simply wasn't given an opportunity to do anything here until Littrell (who showed interest in him while at Indiana) arrived.

That comment was made off-the-cuff when asked about Morris directly.   

Purely speculation, but if he's seen enough between the two to say what he said to the media, it may be because he wants to start encouraging Morris to step up and take charge instead of keeping a seed of doubt in his mind that he's having to compete with Shanbour.

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That comment was made off-the-cuff when asked about Morris directly.   

Purely speculation, but if he's seen enough between the two to say what he said to the media, it may be because he wants to start encouraging Morris to step up and take charge instead of keeping a seed of doubt in his mind that he's having to compete with Shanbour.

His quote was kind of awkwardly stated.  While talking to an Alabama reporter, I took it to mean that if Morris continued playing well that Harrell could easily see him winning the starting job, not that he would win it easily.  But then again, I am having to try and interpret what he may have mean instead of taking strictly what was written.

quote:

"He's done really well," Harrell, who is entering his first season as North Texas' offensive coordinator, said of Morris. "Early on, he was playing better than anyone else was, and we just had to advance someone as quickly as possible, and we tried to do that with him. That's kind of where he sits. We expect him to have a good fall camp. And if he does, then I'd expect he could be the starter easily around here."

Riddle me this, Batman, if Quinn Shanbour was only at Oklahoma State in the spring how is it that he was on OSU's roster in the fall, in their media guide, and mere days before the 2013 season, still being reported as a QB in the fold?  http://newsok.com/article/3874321

Also, and, not to throw more cake into the fire, but...

...some Quinn Anthony Shanbour on facebook says he was at OSU from 2013 to 2014:  https://www.facebook.com/quinn.shanbour

So, there's that to feed the conspiracy theory that he was, indeed, at OSU for a full year...fall football included.

In the end, does it really matter where he sat on the bench in 2013?  He couldn't work his way through what was at Oklahoma State.  He hasn't been able to work through a terribly less talented lot here in Denton in 2014 and 2015. 

Due to the failing upward principal alone, he may get to stand up and hold the clipboard and sign in plays to Alec Morris in 2016...if the late signing JUCO doesn't prove better at clipboard holding and signing.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Downvote 3

51 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Riddle me this, Batman, is Quinn Shanbour was only at Oklahoma State in the spring how is it that he was on OSU's roster in the fall, in their media guide, and mere days before the 2013 season, still being reported as a QB in the fold?  http://newsok.com/article/3874321

Also, and, not to throw more cake into the fire, but...

...some Quinn Anthony Shanbour on facebook says he was at OSU from 2013 to 2014:  https://www.facebook.com/quinn.shanbour

So, there's that to feed the conspiracy theory that he was, indeed, at OSU for a full year...fall football included.

In the end, does it really matter where he sat on the bench in 2013?  He couldn't work his way through what was at Oklahoma State.  He hasn't been able to work through a terribly less talented lot here in Denton in 2014 and 2015. 

Due to the failing upward principal alone, he may get to stand up and hold the clipboard and sign in plays to Alec Morris in 2016...if the late signing JUCO doesn't prove better at clipboard holding and signing.

You're forgetting the chronic turf toe injury as well as the Mini Mac factor. Mac's love of height was no doubt an issue for him also. My last comment on the subject until we approach 2 a days, since I think it's literally impossible to resolve the issue off the field. Unless they unfortunately have off the field issues or injury of course. 

59 minutes ago, Aldo said:

So far, y'all have gotten the argument down to (as to why they are on equal footing)

Morris didn't start at 'Bama

and

Shanbour deserves it

Yes.

4 minutes ago, foutsrouts said:

You're forgetting the chronic turf toe injury as well as the Mini Mac factor. Mac's love of height was no doubt an issue for him also. My last comment on the subject until we approach 2 a days, since I think it's literally impossible to resolve the issue off the field. Unless they unfortunately have off the field issues or injury of course. 

It's not necessary to resolve it - Harrell has already said he expects Morris to win the job easily here.  It's resolved. 

• Downvote 6