Tulane (1/11/14)

CMJ

I think most coaches go into a game knowing how many minutes they plan on playing a guy... Generally they know a few days before the game. Of course it changes with fouls and who has the hot hand. But they have a clear depth chart and generally list minutes. Seems to work for every other team... Not sure every team can be considered a failure. Just like in football they go in knowing how many snaps in the back field each running back will take etc... (Again it does change in game, but they have a game plan going into it).

JJs teams always seemed to have about the same minutes. Josh, George, Tristan's, Shannon etc all seemed to get the same amount of minutes consistently. Minus fouls and of course Tristan being in the dog house....

Again JJs teams had clear starters. This team doesn't. The production and play is do up and down. Picking the right guys to get minutes is like trying to pick winning lotto numbers

Again JJs teams had clear starters. This team doesn't. The production and play is do up and down. Picking the right guys to get minutes is like trying to pick winning lotto numbers

I would have hoped that by the time conference play started we would have a set 5. That is the first step. Get a solid starting 5. Maybe next game.

Sorry I comment so much but I just enjoy basketball...

I had more fun watching this game today then at the HOD bowl. I just like basketball... Win or lose I will always comment and enjoy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

I would have hoped that by the time conference play started we would have a set 5. That is the first step. Get a solid starting 5. Maybe next game.

Sorry I comment so much but I just enjoy basketball...

I had more fun watching this game today then at the HOD bowl. I just like basketball... Win or lose I will always comment and enjoy.

Yes I love it too. I love to analyze it vs what I know. I learned from of the best coaches in Texas.

I would like for UNT to have figured out a starting 5 by now too. That being said I don't believe 5 guys have earned the right to be starters on a consistent basis. I'm not just going to start five guys to be consistent. I'm going to start 5 guys bc they have earned that right in practice and in previous games. I don't think you can say 5 guys have stood out for UNT so much so that they deserve to be your starting 5 the rest of the year.

I do agree with cutting down a rotation to 8 or 9.

• Upvote 1

Yes I love it too. I love to analyze it vs what I know. I learned from of the best coaches in Texas.

I would like for UNT to have figured out a starting 5 by now too. That being said I don't believe 5 guys have earned the right to be starters on a consistent basis. I'm not just going to start five guys to be consistent. I'm going to start 5 guys bc they have earned that right in practice and in previous games. I don't think you can say 5 guys have stood out for UNT so much so that they deserve to be your starting 5 the rest of the year.

I do agree with cutting down a rotation to 8 or 9.

I did find it interesting that today's starting lineup almost matched Tulanes height exactly. They had a 6'6" PF so we ran Jordan at the 4 to start the game. Found that interesting. Maybe that is how he does his lineups. Voss and Taylor have definitely earned the right to start. Alzee has as well, but at the 1 or the 2 is the question. PG is a huge toss up.

• Upvote 1

I did find it interesting that today's starting lineup almost matched Tulanes height exactly. They had a 6'6" PF so we ran Jordan at the 4 to start the game. Found that interesting. Maybe that is how he does his lineups. Voss and Taylor have definitely earned the right to start. Alzee has as well, but at the 1 or the 2 is the question. PG is a huge toss up.

So you've got Voss at the 4 Taylor at the 3 and Alzee at the 2.

UNT has one true 1 in Chris Jones after him you've a bunch of guys who can handle the ball but they are no 1.

Ugh this team is just frustrating bc they just can't put it together. You watch and you watch and you see the plays develop and then you see the guys miss the open man. I don't know I come from a back ground where more was expected of you on the court. So it pains me to see so many missed opportunities.

Maybe TJ Taylor can be our starting point guard. I was just reading that in 2010 ESPN ranked him as the 16th best point guard in the nation (as an in coming freshman). Maybe TJ can run this team. He did a great job today distributing the ball.

He did do a good job attacking and dishing off the pick and roll. I don't believe it would a good idea to have him as your 1. He is more of a 2 or 3. More of a scorer then a true passer. Likes to put his head down a lil too much. Love his athleticism and he is probably the best finisher and scorer. Sometimes he gets a little out of control.

Edited by Mean_Green09

So you've got Voss at the 4 Taylor at the 3 and Alzee at the 2.

UNT has one true 1 in Chris Jones after him you've a bunch of guys who can handle the ball but they are no 1.

Ugh this team is just frustrating bc they just can't put it together. You watch and you watch and you see the plays develop and then you see the guys miss the open man. I don't know I come from a back ground where more was expected of you on the court. So it pains me to see so many missed opportunities.

TJ should be the point guard after what I just read. He was originally signed to do just that in 2010. CJ has gained a lot of weight and Is not the same. Vaughn's would be a better option but TJ would be my one. Alzee or Mo at the 2 and Jordan at the 3. Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/72287/tj-taylor

He was recruited as a point guard by the likes of Kansas. If you go to meangreensports.com and click on fact book under his name is a article from espn about his ability to run the floor and command a team. I would happily let him run the point for 35 minutes a game.

• Upvote 1

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/72287/tj-taylor

He was recruited as a point guard by the likes of Kansas. If you go to meangreensports.com and click on fact book under his name is a article from espn about his ability to run the floor and command a team. I would happily let him run the point for 35 minutes a game.

I trust what I see and he is not a 1. If you put him at the 1 you'd limit his scoring more. He'd turn it over more forcing things. To out of control to be a one. Better as your 2 or 3 where he can focus on scoring

• Upvote 1

I trust what I see and he is not a 1. If you put him at the 1 you'd limit his scoring more. He'd turn it over more forcing things. To out of control to be a one. Better as your 2 or 3 where he can focus on scoring

Then who is our 1? I only say that because Kansas recruited him as a 1. To come on and by his sophomore year be the starting PG at Kansas. Pretty lofty. He is a great scorer but just after googling and reading maybe he is better off at the 1. Not from what I can see, but from what his past suggests. He did do an excellent job rolling off the picks and getting the post layers the ball. Everyone else just rolled the ball right into the hedge off the screens. All game we walked right into that. I think TJ was the only one who went the opposite direction of a screen. And it worked... Why everyone else keep going into the defender is beyond me.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

You're right. ESPN had him classified as a point guard but they don't classify players' positions based on what colleges are recruiting them as. A lot of times it's more for them to say "we have a 6'3" guy rated this high, with an early departure potential grade because he's a point guard." True for Taylor, as he was not recruited as a point. Maybe a guy who could play point or bring the ball up the court, but not a true point.

That being said I would like to see him at point, not for long stretches but a times to just put the ball in his hands and let him make things happen. But yes, he's a 2 and that's where the majority if his minutes should be at.

Then who is our 1? I only say that because Kansas recruited him as a 1. To come on and by his sophomore year be the starting PG at Kansas. Pretty lofty. He is a great scorer but just after googling and reading maybe he is better off at the 1. Not from what I can see, but from what his past suggests. He did do an excellent job rolling off the picks and getting the post layers the ball. Everyone else just rolled the ball right into the hedge off the screens. All game we walked right into that. I think TJ was the only one who went the opposite direction of a screen. And it worked... Why everyone else keep going into the defender is beyond me.

Jones did go opposite a bunch.

You're right. ESPN had him classified as a point guard but they don't classify players' positions based on what colleges are recruiting them as. A lot of times it's more for them to say "we have a 6'3" guy rated this high, with an early departure potential grade because he's a point guard." True for Taylor, as he was not recruited as a point. Maybe a guy who could play point or bring the ball up the court, but not a true point.

That being said I would like to see him at point, not for long stretches but a times to just put the ball in his hands and let him make things happen. But yes, he's a 2 and that's where the majority if his minutes should be at.

He was the ranked the 16th best point guard in the nation in 2010. He was also ranked as like the 28th best SG. Not trying to push it but he was recruited as a point guard who can score. I agree I like him at the 2 because he seems to be the only one who can create his own shot, but he is also good and getting others involved. He is constantly moving on and off the ball. Something other players do not do. Plain and simple there is no excuse in not starting him next game.

• Downvote 1

Part of the reason TJ left OU was because Capel wanted to turn him into a PG. Taylor has said he doesn't feel comfortable at the 1. I think he's much better suited off the ball

• Upvote 1

Jones did go opposite a bunch.

I did not see it. He hardly played and I only saw him go left and turn over the ball a couple times. Just not as quick as he use to be. With his potential he should be able to take his man off the dribble and get it into the lane. Maybe work on hitting a floater like Tony Parker. They will make you make that shot at the next level. Might as well work on it in college.

Don't laugh but Voss. He was the only big who looks for the ball after setting a pick. The other guys just stay or don't look for the ball.

He is smaller the Howard but this is true. Maybe it is from his football days but he is constantly looking for the ball and moving his feet. I like his hustle and he does have a nice little touch.

What happened to that elbow jumper that Colman had going on at the beginning of the year...? He had like 3 shots from 16 feet out early on in the season. He has regressed a lot.

• Upvote 1

He is smaller the Howard but this is true. Maybe it is from his football days but he is constantly looking for the ball and moving his feet. I like his hustle and he does have a nice little touch.

What happened to that elbow jumper that Colman had going on at the beginning of the year...? He had like 3 shots from 16 feet out early on in the season. He has regressed a lot.

Hard to make it if you don't look for it.