Joe Greene Era at UNT had 3 NFL #1's +17 Others Drafted !

PlummMeanGreen

A Blast From The Past As Well As A

Part of Our Proud UNT Football Legacy

Just a Few Days Before Our HOD Bowl Game

Appearance in the Historic Cotton Bowl Stadium !

(And Responding to Thread Title)

That is if you count all those who played football at North Texas all 4 years when Mean Joe was in Denton albeit back in the day they had a UNT freshmen team and from there they would play 3 years of varsity play.

I counted those drafted at North Texas up until the year 1971 since they also would have played on Mean Green football teams which featured the great Mean Joe Greene.

Joe Greene was the very first draft choice taken in the 1969 NFL draft and that by the Steelers.

Per DMac's ESPN 103.3 FM radio interview the other day.......Yes, Coach McCarney, we agree with you that it is time we bring the glory days of multi-Mean Green football players being drafted by the NFL.

http://theredzone.org/DraftShowSchool.aspx?School=North%20Texas

GMG!

PS: Pay attention to this kind of potential color commentary potpouri, ESPN HOD Bowl game broadcasters because...........the present and most recent eras at North Texas are "NOT" our first rodeo in playing NCAA Division One football in Denton, Texas, America.

PS 2: Of course, we've had numerous North Texas football players who signed free agent contracts not listed in the link above.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Wow! Until seeing it on paper I didn't realize how rich the 1967 - 1971 rosters were.

Any doubt why the mighty Horned Frogs and Mustangs didn't want any part of a schedule with a school who would have taken them to school in that era? Same could be said for the Abner Haynes and Fry eras as well (although SMU man'ed up and would schedule us even when Fry was around but..............never TCU. (insert the unique sounds of a just been castrated capon). :scared:

Honestly...did any SWC school in this same era have any more NFL draft choices than North Texas (including 3 #1's)?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Check this YouTube out!

Mean Joe Greene and teamates on the North Texas Freshmen team of 1965!

Bunch of future NFL draft choices on that freshmen team, eh? :)

(A Red Raider comments about North Texas freshmen team versus his Texas Tech Picadors--name of TTU freshmen team back in the day).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RWFIpqhHWY#t=0

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Only bumping this up because I'm proud of this NFL draft legacy of the North Texas Mean Green football program albeit I was still a kid in HS down in H-Town area or just graduated.

Per a greenjoe thread:

Wear your green on New Years Day @ the historic Cotton Bowl Stadium !

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

At this point in time, both the Southwest and Southeast conferences were segregated. If a black athlete wanted to stay in Texas, his options were basically North Texas or The University of Houston.Some great players, such as Bubba Smith, found their way into the Big Ten Conference.I don't remember any that played in the PAC 10, but I'm sure there were some.

At this point in time, both the Southwest and Southeast conferences were segregated. If a black athlete wanted to stay in Texas, his options were basically North Texas or The University of Houston.Some great players, such as Bubba Smith, found their way into the Big Ten Conference.I don't remember any that played in the PAC 10, but I'm sure there were some.

WW, I know you'd know all this but the younger and newer posters might not:

UH didn't integrate until they signed Warren McVae of San Antonio Brackenridge High School....and that was almost a decade after North Texas had integrated in 1956 with North Texas Mean Green'er and 1959 NCAA Division 1 All American Abner Haynes.

FFR, who dat' in the pic with Abner?

http://startelegram.typepad.com/cowboys_stadium/2010/01/i-grew-up-a-huge-cowboys-fan-and-spent-many-many-afternoons-jumping-for-joy-and-collapsing-into-tears-the-catch----cant-eve.html

I don't know who is in picture, and really can't even tell where it was taken. I was a freshman in 1961, had grown up in south side of Ft. Worth, and never gone to school with a person of color until I attended NTSU.At that time,black female students lived in the Quads dorm,and to my knowledge black male athletics lived with the other jocks. I lived in West dorm[only male dorm on campus] for a semester,never saw a black male student there and assumed that there was no other university housing available.I recall that the city of Denton was segregated until summer of 1962, but have slept since then and am not sure of the date. I took a one hour blow off course called "Coaching in Football",and the teacher was one of the assistant football coaches.I was sitting next to A.D. Whittfield,future running back for Washington Redskins, when the coach one day started talking about making "n----r shooters" as a kid.I felt like crawling underneath the table. Bottom line: discrimination because of race is not where it needs to be, but better than it has been.

Before this list started, you could add Art Perkins, spider Lockhart, and Bobby Smith. I am sure there were others. These are ones I remember seeing play.

All of the 60's were truly a memorable era as we finish out our 100'th year of playing NCAA football at North Texas!

GMG!

:fpc: PS: Off with the computer and on my way out the door to go join a multi-vehicle caravan from out here in the wild, wild western part of the Metroplex en route to the historic Cotton Bowl stadium and.....

A MEAN GREEN BOWL WIN ON... NEW YEARS DAY !

Edited by PlummMeanGreen