EP Chapin QB Seth Gonzales?

Cerebus

I was speaking to an El Paso area family member, and by talking I meant rubbing it in because he is a UTEP grad, when he mentioned this QB and how he was stunned this kid wasn't being recruited more heavily. His stats do look impressive.

2013:

128/176 (72.7%) 2200 YDS 21TD 2INT, with 1023 rushing yards and 8 rushing TD's.

El Paso Chapin is in 1-4A, this kid is a third year starter, here are the other stats I see about him:

2012: 71% 2601 YDS 24TD

2011: 66% 2326 YDS 23TD

He is listed at 6'1" 200#, but I can see almost nothing about him on any of the recruiting sites.

• Upvote 1

I was speaking to an El Paso area family member, and by talking I meant rubbing it in because he is a UTEP grad, when he mentioned this QB and how he was stunned this kid wasn't being recruited more heavily. His stats do look impressive.

2013:

128/176 (72.7%) 2200 YDS 21TD 2INT, with 1023 rushing yards and 8 rushing TD's.

El Paso Chapin is in 1-4A, this kid is a third year starter, here are the other stats I see about him:

2012: 71% 2601 YDS 24TD

2011: 66% 2326 YDS 23TD

He is listed at 6'1" 200#, but I can see almost nothing about him on any of the recruiting sites.

Picture, Video, anything?

Picture, Video, anything?

This came from the longhorn site InsideTexas

Seth Gonzales (El Paso Chapin) - 2014 quarterback

The most recent highlight video on Gonzales's Hudl page has - as of this writing - 99 views. It's a good bet that one or two of those was for the eyes of Trent Dilfer, because Gonzales was an invite to April's Elite 11 camp in Dallas. He not very big at 6 feet and 195 pounds, and doesn't have a cannon for an arm, but he's good in a lot of areas. Combine his football skills with his stellar work in the classroom (his mother is Chapin High School's principal) and he's all but certain to get scholarship offers at some level. He was advanced enough as a freshman that he played on the junior varsity football team, then as a sophomore he beat out a senior to earn the starting QB job. Chapin has averaged nearly 37 points and over 500 offensive yards per game in Gonzales's two seasons under center, and he he'll go into his senior year with 5,068 passing yards, 47 touchdowns, and 16 interceptions on his resume, along with 679 yards and 10 TDs rushing. His literal resume will show him having very good grades, good enough to rank him 3rd in his class and draw interest from Ivy League schools. Chapin head coach Rene Hernandez says Harvard and Penn have "really showed interest", and when I talked on the phone with Hernandez recently, he said a coach from BYU had called earlier that day. Gonzales he has also received mail from Texas Tech, UTEP, and New Mexico State.

HUDL: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/506692/highlights/36493441

Some great players have come out of El Paso.

The Stansbury brothers in the 1990s come to mind. Edmond was one of the best QBs in the country coming out of EP Irvin. But he was so big he played FB at UCLA. Rufus Brown played on a terrible Austin High School squad but you could see through that and tell he was good. Montwood had an incredible RB that went on to be a local star when he blossomed at UTEP as a LB

Wish I knew more of this kid, but I've been so out of tune with EP HS football. All I know about Chapin is that they had a great run about 10 years ago and the coach ended up leading the program at my high school (Franklin)

El Paso does occasionally produce a very good FBS level football player but that happens about as often as an El Paso school advancing past bi-district. The statistics are impressive but if he's the real deal why isn't UTEP (or a MWC school camped at his door)? The level of competition makes it very difficult to determine if this player is FCS or FBS quality. If UTEP has shown only casual interest then he's probably not a hot item.

We get very, very few football players from El Paso. The last really good player that I can recall that was from El Paso was LB/DB Jay Saad back in the early 80s.

El Paso does occasionally produce a very good FBS level football player but that happens about as often as an El Paso school advancing past bi-district. The statistics are impressive but if he's the real deal why isn't UTEP (or a MWC school camped at his door)? The level of competition makes it very difficult to determine if this player is FCS or FBS quality. If UTEP has shown only casual interest then he's probably not a hot item.

We get very, very few football players from El Paso. The last really good player that I can recall that was from El Paso was LB/DB Jay Saad back in the early 80s.

Gray Eagle we just recently had that starting right guard that graduated a few years ago and I believe he is a coach now.