Voertman's is ALIVE!

meangreener

I was in there a few months ago and it looked like it was going out of business. Crap everywhere, roof was falling apart, old, crummy, nasty, etc.

I guess the new ownership has completely remodeled it, because it's bright, new, clean, and not cluttered at all. Also, they have amazing and cheap apparel. Grabbed these two beauties:

282njnq.jpg

The Scrappy one has that on the back.

It's really awesome, I'm impressed with how clean and new it is. Also, the hours aren't useless like they used to be. Thought many who on here thought it'd be closing would like to know it's not! Also, only UNT stuff...with a teeny bit of TWU.

• Upvote 4

It's really awesome, I'm impressed with how clean and new it is. Also, the hours aren't useless like they used to be. Thought many who on here thought it'd be closing would like to know it's not! Also, only UNT stuff...with a teeny bit of TWU.

You mean that they no longer close at 4 PM on a Saturday? 6 or 7 PM I could understand but 4 PM on a Saturday sucked when you were wanting to stop by before a MBB game.

I think they're open until 5 or 6 on Saturday and like until 4 or 5 on Sunday.

Here are their summer hours. They have not updated the site with the fall/spring hours yet.

SUMMER HOURS: M-F: 8:00AM-5:30PM SAT: 10:00AM-4:00PM SUN: CLOSED

I was in there a few months ago and it looked like it was going out of business. Crap everywhere, roof was falling apart, old, crummy, nasty, etc.

I guess the new ownership has completely remodeled it, because it's bright, new, clean, and not cluttered at all. Also, they have amazing and cheap apparel. Grabbed these two beauties:

282njnq.jpg

The Scrappy one has that on the back.

This is all because they got bought out by Barnes & Noble but will be keeping the Voertman's name. Hence, they actually have the new Scrappy stuff this soon.

This is all because they got bought out by Barnes & Noble but will be keeping the Voertman's name. Hence, they actually have the new Scrappy stuff this soon.

Virtual competition? University bookstore (Barnes & Noble) vs. Voertman's (Barnes & Noble). I won't expect to see any different merchandise - or prices.

They did not sell out to Barnes and Noble. It was sold to an out of state investment group and they going to keep it open for the time being, and yes, the selections have really improved.

Denton Voertman's Checks Out to New Owner

(5/23/2013)

DENTON - Voertman’s bookstore and additional retail concepts on West Hickory St. and West Oak St. near the University of North Texas were sold to an out-of-state investment group on April 30, 2013. Nebraska Book Co. was the seller.

The sale involved a number of adjacent retail, apartment and commercial buildings, which incorporate a total of 37,951 sf. Voertman’s itself occupies 29,900 sf.

Roy Voertman opened the bookstore in 1925, and it was sold to Nebraska Book Co. in 1990.

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 1

They did not sell out to Barnes and Noble. It was sold to an out of state investment group and they going to keep it open for the time being, and yes, the selections have really improved.

Denton Voertman's Checks Out to New Owner

(5/23/2013)

DENTON - Voertman’s bookstore and additional retail concepts on West Hickory St. and West Oak St. near the University of North Texas were sold to an out-of-state investment group on April 30, 2013. Nebraska Book Co. was the seller.

The sale involved a number of adjacent retail, apartment and commercial buildings, which incorporate a total of 37,951 sf. Voertman’s itself occupies 29,900 sf.

Roy Voertman opened the bookstore in 1925, and it was sold to Nebraska Book Co. in 1990.

Yes, the majority of that block (Sushi Cafe, Subway, some apartments, Voertman's, etc.) had been sold through that New York listing.

Since then, B&N have stepped into the direct management of Voertman's though.

Or so my people tell me.