UNT will face one of the nation’s most productive pocket passers — at least at this point of the season — on Saturday when the Mean Green takes on Ball State and Keith Wenning.

Wenning has thrown for 665 yards and five touchdowns with no interceptions in two games.

Yeah, he’s pretty good. He’s 6-3, 220, and will sit in the pocket and try to pick UNT apart.

And that begs the question: Just how well has UNT fared against top pocket passers the last few years.

I went back through the record books and came up with a rundown. Now, I might be splitting hairs here on who counts as a pocket passer and who is more of a dual-threat guy, but the list still worth looking at:

UNT has faced Idaho’s Chad Chalich and Ohio’s Tyler Tettleton so far. Both are dual-threat kind of guys, so we have to dig a little deeper.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/09/unt-vs-top-pocket-passers-a-look-back.html/

Tebow has a better throwing motion than Collin. He was essentially a battering ram.

None the less I get the point of the article. We struggle against guys who can sit back there and sling it around. If UNT doesn't get any pressure on this kid Keith Wenning its going to be a long day. Like 300 + yards. I would consider him in the top 20 amongst QB's in college football from what I've seen.

A look over the games he listed makes it seem a bit off. The Houston, MUTS and Troy games I can see. But even the big games, Bama and LSU, the passer wasn't all that productive. Yeah, passing opens up run play and vice versa, but getting your butt handed to you by the running game and defense is obviously a bigger issue in many of these. I think what you want to look at is which games were the ones where the passing game was the deciding factor. If Wenning has a 300-yard game but their D and running game set them back, we can still pull in a W. And of course if we can actually stop him as well, then so much the better.