Quick hits from Mac Radio Show

Harry

RV sort of filled in for Mac with Hank and George to start off the show. Mac was running late from being at a huge student pep rally at Apogee stadium this evening...

RV said there would be some more surprises (aside from the throwback unis) to be unveiled this season

RV basically confirmed there will be six home games every season in football...if I heard him correctly

RV spoke about planning a train trip to San Antonio for a game that would leave on Saturday, watch the game, do the Riverwalk and return on Sunday...

RV said he hopes to see the attendance grow for the radio show so much that they have to move it to Apogee.

Mac says only one senior out of top 12 offensive linemen ...WOW... yet he's comfortable going 8-9 deep!

Mac said the standing ovation Kaydon Kirby received from his teammates was the biggest and longest he had seen since coaching since head coaching in 1995...

Mac was running late to the radio show because he was at the student pep rally at Apogee and said there were 4 thousand students there!!! Mac was really pumped up about this!

Mac praised Brandon Byrd for being a great example as a senior...

Mac said we have three REAL good running back and Jimmerson and Pegram are battling for #2 and he wants Rollins and Lewis to get snaps too. He said each one has a unique ability...

Mac on QB's - DT needs to improve and he knows it; it wasn't a mind game this preseason -- all four have been with the ones and twos...#7 did the best after Saturdays mock game. HE WILL NOT REDSHIRT DaJon Williams...there are more playmakers around the QB then since Mac has been here. Said DaJon is sort of quiet needs to speak up; he never gets too high or too low; he might have the best arm of the whole bunch. They think he is special and compares him to Brett Meyer at Iowa State. Smooth as silk. Good operator, good leader who brings the best in those around him. Ended saying Thompson is the guy.

Mac said on WR's after Chancellor got hurt last year we were "inept" at WR.. it's different right now and we are 6 deep. Harris, Smith and Chancellor are the top three. John Chelf could play, a teammate of McNulty; Caldwell could play.

Mac on defense --- we're getting better; Idaho knows more about us then we know about them (they have a new staff) ...those first two and three series we have to figure out what they are doing and adjust...Skladany is good at that...he's as motivated and determined as he has ever been... we are faster than we were last year and we will play more guys than we have in the past...I think our defense had the edge over our offense during Fall camp..having Skladany for two years now is helping.. rotation up front will have 8 defensive lineman at least would like to get to 9-10 depending on how players develop during the season...

In the lockerroom Saturday when he announced captains the two speeches that stuck with him were Zach Orr and Mason Y'Barbo....YBarbo said "You better do your part if not get out of this lockerroom...we are going to do some special things this season.."

AM 1580 out of Gainesville is now on the radio network...

Facebook ?'s for Poppy --- what area positions did you see the most improvement?...Mac said WR and DL.. said Sarge McCoy may not play against Idaho with a soft tissue injury...said those two positions have more depth than they have ever had by far...

Brock Berglund -- been up and down, inconsistent but definitely improved. Hamstring in the spring put him behind. Followed that up with more DaJon praise..

Sharing carries with the running backs you will see a rotation unless someone really gets hot you keep feeding them the pill...

This is a big year with C-USA, big year for the program. Brought in Mean Joe Greene to speak to the team. All of the great players who will be honored this weekend.

Physically with what strength coach Frank Wentrich has done this is a different team physically and endurance wise than in the past.

Academics -- 88 players over a 3.0 46 were a 4.0 -- Dean, administrators at UNT appreciate what is happening... gave credit to the staffers at the academic center. Mac takes a lot of personal involvement in each kids academics...Mac said he can't promise a players parents and not follow through...

Thinks that Mean Joe Greene and Cedrick Hardemann will be honorary captains for the game.

Mac on Idaho -- its been 70's and 80's in Idaho and it should be 102 on Saturday. Goal is to wear them down..in the heat. Very good coaching staff who will have them prepared.

Game Saturday night is so important -- it will help confidence and the entire season. It counts on Saturday. Thinks there are some real successful things in store for this program this season. GMG

referral-0074294001376285459.jpg

Thanks Harry, I missed RV talk.

Was that for a basketball game to SA or football next year ?

Sorry man I didn't catch that for sure... in was in the vein that now we have local rivalries we can do things like this. Really cool concept where you rent out Amtrack and have food drinks the whole way there and back. Stuff that wives and family would enjoy.... He mentioned Shreveport trips as well...

Sorry man I didn't catch that for sure... in was in the vein that now we have local rivalries we can do things like this. Really cool concept where you rent out Amtrack and have food drinks the whole way there and back. Stuff that wives and family would enjoy.... He mentioned Shreveport trips as well...

Sweet. I'd definitely be down for that

• Upvote 3

One other statement I wanted to make... after listening tonight with Mac jetting over from the 4K student event at Apogee and mixing with the crowd at Rudy's hearing about the high GPA's and the strength and conditioning nder Wentrich, the character of the leaders on this team like Orr, Y'Barbo.. you can't help but get the feeling that this man knows what the hell he is doing. He's a builder and it takes time to get everything the way that he wants it but once it is built it is something very special. I'm just incredibly impressed with Coach Mac and how he goes about the business of rejuvenating a program that was truly down.. And it goes just beyond the team --- it's the ENTIRE program and culture supporting it. I sure hope he has success on the field this season because if he does we could really see this program elevate to a new level beyond anything we have experienced at North Texas. His enthusiasm and drive is contagious.

Harry posted: "RV basically confirmed there will be six home games every season in football...if I heard him correctly."

I really don't think RV has been working to "not" have 6 games per Fall, but listening to him on my car radio (eastern Parker County) I sensed this may have been an edict from above to get the 6 but.....I could be wrong, too.

Anyone have any video of the Apogee pep rally that they may want to start a new thread?

Coach Mac was fired up when he arrived to the radio show saying "there were thousands of UNT students out for this rally."

GMG!

Addendum since I posted:

:schmuck020::schmuck020::schmuck020::schmuck020:

4,000 freakin' UNT students for a pep rally this evening in this heat? :clapping:

I am guessing that they were probably all UNT Freshmen, right? If so, what happens if the Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors and grad students show up en mass this Saturday? :)

I am officially duly impressed. Sounds to me like the entire Mean Green Nation

is ready to start creating some new "postive" football history once again.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Harry posted: "RV basically confirmed there will be six home games every season in football...if I heard him correctly."

I really don't think RV has been working to "not" have 6 games per Fall, but listening to him on my car radio (eastern Parker County) I sensed this may have been an edict from above to get the 6 but.....I could be wrong, too.

Anyone have any video of the Apogee pep rally that they may want to start a new thread?

Coach Mac was fired up when he arrived to the radio show saying "there were thousands of UNT students out for this rally."

GMG!

Addendum since I posted:

:schmuck020::schmuck020::schmuck020::schmuck020:

4,000 freakin' UNT students for a pep rally this evening in this heat? :clapping:

I am guessing that they were probably all UNT Freshmen, right? If so, what happens if the Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors and grad students show up en mass this Saturday? :)

I am officially duly impressed. Sounds to me like the entire Mean Green Nation

is ready to start creating some new "postive" football history once again.

This is very exciting...if we turn the win/loss record around and increase expectations, we could see a huge change in future attendance , and the new hotel, probably to be built next year will help alot aswell

• Upvote 1

There were actually a pretty good amount of students out at apogee tonight.

Completely filled the once called "student" section and basically all of the away side, minus the little visitor corner.

Doesn't really show much in regards to student size, but here:

2i9m2pw.jpg

• Upvote 2

So who is the back up QB? I hope we don't burn Dajons redshirt to have him be the 3rd qb

Believe it when it happens. It's been said before and then we got 5 home games last year.

We will buy a game next year (probably from a FCS team), but 2015 looks like another 5 game home season.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 12

The train is a great idea that would really increase our attendance at away games while having fun coming and going. I have heard some great old stories about football train trips between Austin and College Station and Norman and Dallas. We used to have some nice train trips ourselves, including one for basketball games between UNT and Baylor. Man, I hope this idea comes to pass.
  • Upvote 1

Really sorry I missed...wife and I were at Sea World in San Diego with Froggy Style and That Houston Crazy...or was it GL2 Greatness...oops sorry, I mean our 2 and 3 year old grandsons...I get those mixed up as they all seem on the same maturity level....

But, all kidding aside...sounds like a great first show packed with some pretty good info. Congrats to the students for te great turnout at the pep rally. Here's hoping that the alums and fans also turn out in force.

Really apply to have tat 6-game thing answered..well, for most of us anyway.

Let's get this game on folks...be there! BE THERE!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2