2013 College Football Preview: North Texas at Georgia

Harry

Georgia has a pretty checkered history with so-called cupcakes over the past few years. The team generally seems to go one of two ways:

1) Give up a bunch of big plays to the opponent early and pull away in the 2nd half

2) Dominate early and give up a couple of scores in "garbage time"

Or sometimes both...

Obviously a win is a win and all that, but I'm having a hard time understanding how the Dawgs can shut out an 8-4 Vanderbilt team in a 45 point victory and, yet, give up 3 touchdowns to Florida Atlantic and win by 36. This is most certainly nitpicking, but it speaks to the mentality of the team about these types of games. I don't mind the Dawgs playing cupcakes a couple of times a year... I do mind them playing like they're playing a cupcake. I'm not saying you have to run up the score, but I'd very much like to see complete domination from start to finish in these types of games... and frankly that's what you ought to see from a team with serious National Title aspirations.

http://www.dawgsports.com/2013/8/5/4589020/2013-college-football-season-preview-north-texas-at-georgia

I think his point is no matter how UNT plays this season, we ain't beating Georgia.

I agree that Georgia looks to be one of the best teams in the country. With the guys practicing in this 100+ heat and the season just three and a half weeks away, it's past time to start showing solid support and encouragement. Saying "we ain't beating" so-and-so is not showing support.

Go Mean Green

• Upvote 5

I think his point is no matter how UNT plays this season, we ain't beating Georgia.

I think his point is valid.

And with that attitude we will never experience an upset victory. Thanks for the support "Ray of Sunshine."

• Upvote 2

Wait, what?? Somebody found Ray??? :lol:

I was with you guys until this post. What?!

Anywho...I think the writer is missing the point of these games. Though most fans, etc. refer to them as "cupcake" or "bodybag" games, they're intended as "tune-up" games. The bigger team is supposed to work out some kinks on the field while expecting that mistakes will not cause a loss. On the upside, when the "cupcake" turns out to be better than expected, that is where you often see the big upsets, which is why even others refer to them as "opportunity" games. No matter which team is yours, those writing for mass audiences shouldn't fuel the fire of trying to make these out to be better or worse than what they were intended for. The host team tries to "get into the groove" for their tough conference schedule, and the visiting team plays hard and hopes that this is the right year for them to upend one of the big boys, all while collecting a phatty-phat paycheck.

While I do understand that many have taken to using these to inflate their season's statistics and get some easy wins towards bowl eligibility, the fact is that having such games can really help get your season off to a good start - for either team - if done properly. Power 5 team starts to get their on-the-field rhythm, and underdog midmajor team pushes for an upset. The key isn't for the big boys to run up the score or put people in the hospital, or for the midmajors to make it a grudge match and give up a ton of yards to penalties by playing dirty (let's face it, we've seen all of these happen between lots of teams).

And I hope we remember this for the Idaho game, which comes first anyway. If the score isn't ridiculously one-sided, but the team has the chance to iron out some wrinkles before tougher games, then so be it...but never assume a win without playing hard for it, either. A necessary balance must be achieved. Win, but learn as much as possible before entering league play or more difficult OOC matchups.

• Upvote 1

And with that attitude we will never experience an upset victory. Thanks for the support "Ray of Sunshine."

I'm confused. So if a fan of a top ten team says it isn't if they beat us, but by how much, then UNT isdestined to lose?

Or does my saying the guy has a valid point (you know, because we are 0-forever in these ganes) doom UNT to failure?

Maybe this guy and I can get together and rule the world?

Hold on just a minute mister. We beat Tennessee 40 years ago. Oh yeah, and we got screwed by the refs in Austin one time.

Not near enough on this board have memories of what it's like to beat truly Big Time teams. Once you have that experience and warm feel good feeling in your blood you

just keep thinking no matter how long it takes it can (and will) actually happen again. Probably why many of us have mostly stuck around the Mean Green scene most of the last 40 plus years.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Not near enough on this board have memories of what it's like to beat truly Big Time teams. Once you have that experience and warm feel good feeling in your blood you

just keep thinking no matter how long it takes it can (and will) actually happen again. Probably why many of us have mostly stuck around the Mean Green scene most of the last 40 plus years.

GMG!

Meanwhile ULM is doing it twice in, what, 5 years?