More on Pistons pick Tony Mitchell

Harry

I love the Tony Mitchell pick. I really hope Kentavious Caldwell-Pope pans out, but I have a feeling Mitchell could have an overall greater impact on the Pistons.

I'll admit, while I follow college basketball, I didn't know much about Mitchell until May when Vince Ellis wrote about how the Pistons grilled the athletic forward regarding his supposed "motor" issues. His numbers were so good his freshman year, the significant drop off had to be attributed to more than the proverbial sophomore slump. Mitchell admitted he lost interest and couldn't get up for games. That won't fly in the NBA, but obviously the Pistons don't think it'll be a problem.

If you remember Kevin's first round big board, he had Mitchell No. 11 overall. It's not crazy, because Mitchell was long projected as a lottery pick this year and may have been one in last year's draft. Here's what Kevin said about Mitchell earlier this month:

A roll of the dice? You bet. One of the most intriguing prospects in the country after a stellar freshman campaign, Mitchell struggled in every aspect of his game last year. So what do you believe? Did he regress or was it something else?

I'm inclined to chalk it up to an immature player (he lost a season of eligibility to academic issues) dealing poorly with a coaching change. That is, in and of itself, a genuine concern, but Mitchell has also shown that he can be a top five talent. I would have had him at this spot last year in a much deeper draft. Given the available options, I'll give him a mulligan, but he's the biggest boom or bust pick in the draft.

Read more: http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2013/6/28/4473364/2013-nba-draft-results-grades-detroit-pistons-tony-mitchell