UNT loses 2 more recruit battles

one to Texas State:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Tillman-Johnson-153329;_ylt=AmE8wqk215a5gXbr.dxxS9dIPZB4

one to Rice(again):

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-James-Mayden-143062;_ylt=AmpjGGNdfsrYm7xyqmW4e99DPZB4

Rice is a school we should be able to keep up on the recruiting trail, but they are kicking our ass. No comment on Texas State

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm as critical of our recruiting as anyone but this is horse manure. We didn't lose any recruiting battles because we didn't offer these two.

Tillman Johnson apparently was offered by Texas State only. He may have had interest in us but we made no offer. ESPN, Scout and 247 don't even list him.

Mayden chose Rice over offers over Navy and Southern. And, unless one planned on making a career in the Navy or Marines...why not? Rice is one of the elite, if not the highest rated, universities in the FBS. Even if we had offered Mayden, I don't see it as a disgrace to lose to them.

Unlike other years, there are still 12-15 three-star athletes that we have a legitimate chance to get. There are also about the same number of high two-star recruits that we should have an even better chance to get. Come January 1, if we aren't in much better shape than now, then it's time to bitch to high heaven. But for now, if you must complain, at least stick to the recruits that we legitimately lost to similar competition.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm as critical of recruiting as anyone but this is horse manure. We didn't lose any recruiting battles because we didn't offer these two.

Tillman Johnson apparently was offered by Texas State only. He may have had interest in us but we made no offer. ESPN, Scout and 247 don't even list him.

Mayden chose Rice over offers from Navy and Southern. And, unless one planned on making a career in the Navy or Marines...why not? Rice is one of the elite, if not the highest rated, universities in the FBS. Even if we had offered Mayden, I don't see it as a disgrace to lose to them.

Unlike other years, there are still 12-15 three-star athletes that we have a legitimate chance to get. There are also about the same number of high two-star recruits that we should have an even better chance to get. Come January 1, if we aren't in much better shape than now, then it's time to bitch to high heaven. But for now, if you must complain, at least stick to the recruits that we legitimately lost to similar competition.

I clearly see on both players' Rivals pages that they were offered by UNT.

I'm as critical of our recruiting as anyone but this is horse manure. We didn't lose any recruiting battles because we didn't offer these two.

Mayden chose Rice over offers over Navy and Southern. And, unless one planned on making a career in the Navy or Marines...why not? Rice is one of the elite, if not the highest rated, universities in the FBS. Even if we had offered Mayden, I don't see it as a disgrace to lose to them.

I must be misreading Rivals then. Whether or not he was offered by us or not, Rice has beat us out for at least 5 recruits so far. Probably more but I'm to lazy to look them all up. Hell they already have 13 on board at this point.

Until I see those 3* players committing I will bitch. I follow recruiting closely and I don't see us tearing it up right now. Texas State, Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, Texas, A&m, Tech, TCU, Ark ST, and on and on and on are all putting together better classes now. The only 2 we are close to now are UTEP and UTSA. I know the wait till January argument but times are changing. Kids are committing earlier and earlier. A good chunk of your class is going to be built early and hopefully at the end you can snag a few who fall through the cracks or are dropped by bigger programs.

Edited by H-towngreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

clearly you have taken your green tinted glasses off :thumbdown::w00t::lol_03:

And clearly you get to stay on this board and in "OUR" living room to keep on depositing steamers on "OUR" carpet and to revel in our occasional disappointment.

Honestly? Is this your true calling in life, "someone" (his name on the MWC board) and whatever the hell GL2Greatness stands for; then if it his it hardly seems anything close to what most would ever call a high calling at any rate.

Yet what a pathetic life inasmuch that the only thing that makes you happy is when

other people are not happy. You on lithium or anything stronger............yet?

Harry, I'm sure you have your reasons to allow this poster to stay; that is this one who hates & taunts all things about UNT in every post but whatever those reasons seems to elude my very simpleton mind. He plays by the rules? Well, so does Lucifer I presume until he yanks one's soul away.

GMG!

PS: BTW, Harry, congrats on having such a popular message board...........almost 500 on GMG.com in the last few hours. :party0005:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

We need to win some F'n football games, plain and simple.

This season will tell the tale for quite some time to come.

Agree, we need to win but........UNT90, SMU entered CUSA as a new member with almost a 20 years in a row football seasons losing streak. We ain't even close to those kind of dismal numbers, but long story short....even SMU turned it around after well over 2 decades of losing.

And anyone else notice which DFW Metroplex school now has a 12 game home and home series with those 'Stangs and it ain't TCU (who word on the street says will be dropping the Stangs soon from their future schedule). Thanks to UNT AD RV for negotiating that SMU contract which many of us older nestors thought would be next to impossible to ever get that many years of a "home and home" football schedule commitment from SMU most our adult lives.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Agree, we need to win but........UNT90, SMU entered CUSA as a new member with almost a 20 years in a row football seasons losing streak. We ain't even close to those kind of dismal numbers, but long story short....even SMU turned it around after well over 2 decades of losing.

And anyone else notice which DFW Metroplex school now has a 12 game home and home series with those 'Stangs and it ain't TCU (who word on the street says will be dropping the Stangs soon from their future schedule). Thanks to UNT AD RV for negotiating that SMU contract which many of us older nestors thought would be next to impossible to ever get that many years of a "home and home" football schedule commitment from SMU most our adult lives.

GMG!

If all the old timers live for is playing SMU, well, I feel for you.

Shoulda never signed that for 12 years. Things change. We might not want to play them for a variety of reasons after the next 6 years.

If this is all it takes for you to be satisfied with an AD, it's no wonder our home schedule is so F'd up in the next 6 years and its no wonder RV gets extended without winning in any major sport.

• Downvote 2

Shoulda never signed that for 12 years. Things change. We might not want to play them for a variety of reasons after the next 6 years.

If this is all it takes for you to be satisfied with an AD, it's no wonder our home schedule is so F'd up in the next 6 years and its no wonder RV gets extended without winning in any major sport.

I love the SMU series and I see no reason why it's not good for our school.

• Upvote 3

I love the SMU series and I see no reason why it's not good for our school.

Absolutely agree. This is a great "get" for UNT in the way of scheduling. If you claim to be a UNT fan and you don't see the benefits in this series, well, you are simply trying really hard to find something to complain about in something that is clearly a positive.

Some may be accused of wearing green colored glasses or drinking too much green Kool-Aid, but others it seems simply refuse to get their eyes checked and are drinking too much vinegar.

I clearly see on both players' Rivals pages that they were offered by UNT.

Please show me where we have offered. I see where he had medium interest in us (that was before he committed) but I cannot for the life of me find an offer. Did he also get offers from Houston, Stanford, etc.? Maybe I'm just blocked from seeing it but if that's the case it's been happening to me for years.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-James-Mayden-143062

Edited by GrayEagle

Please show me where we have offered. I see where he had medium interest in us (that was before he committed) but I cannot for the life of me find an offer. Did he also get offers from Houston, Stanford, etc.? Maybe I'm just blocked from seeing it but if that's the case it's been happening to me for years.

Not sure why it's not pulling up for you but it shows offers from Rice, Navy, Southern and UNT

• Upvote 1

Not that all rivals offers are correct, but check his timeline we offered Mayden on a visit last week. I'm not sure about Tillman though.

http://247sports.com/Player/James-Mayden-20332

The point is still the same though, we are getting destroyed in recruiting again with no signs of it changing. Hopefully a strong start to the season will turn things around.

Edited by ntmeangreen11

Actually, I long for a repeat win such as occurred during my junior year at North Texas in 1975 with our upcoming game at Tennessee in Knoxville in the next year or 2.

And if we were to go up to Iowa (next year?) and beat the Hawkeyes I could then say "that's it for me, baby" and go on to my heavenly Mean Green reward in the sky.

The SMU 12 game series could actually turn into a real bonafide local rivalry that would probably make SMU want to renew the series. SMU wants us because they know we will bring a crowd to Gerald Ford Stadium; of course, we will get more SMU fans at Apogee if for nothing else they will want to come up and see our new digs.

Pretty damn exciting times I would say.

GMG!

PS: I'm getting too old to be a sour puss and the health just ain't what it used to be, either.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I see what they're seeing: a UNT offer. I don't think you're reading the table correctly. Look under the "Offer" column and see the check mark across from UNT.

Other offers include Navy, Southern and Rice.

Of all the multitude of things you bitch about, this one is the weakest. SMU is a great series. For a school that really does not have a rival, playing the school down the road is perfect. Guarantees both fan bases can travel to an away game, should garner lots of local media coverage, and will likely decide some recruiting battles. Since they are in a "better" conference, beating them on the field is the best way UNT can win those recruiting battles. Period.

I understand it takes away some scheduling flexibility, but this is the type of OOC game people have been calling for: Texas, a school local folks care about, winnable, and something to build rivalries on.

Exactly. It's guaranteed to boost attendance, create those rival games, create some smack talk and cross town relevance for both teams in the metroplex and is sure to produce some great games. Also, it's ALWAYS a constant. One team loses next year, well they can focus everything on NEXT year. Look at the wonders the SMU-TCU series did for both schools. A lot of UNT90's complaining is valid, but this complaining makes...no sense whatsoever.

• Upvote 2

Hey Gray,

When a player commits to a school, the other offers don't show anymore (at least on Rivals... I dont really go to the other sites). You have to click "show all" underneath the committed school to show the list of all schools who offered or were interested.

• Upvote 1

The main point of that post was how some think RV should be AD for life simply because he. Signed a deal with SMU.

I think we should expect a whole lot more .

And yes, it limits flexibility, mainly because of the mess the schedule is in now. It limits the ability to dig out of the scheduling hole we are in.

If you want to extend the series after the 1st four years, when you can see where scheduling and other things are headed, great. No need for either school to make a 12 year commitment.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The main point of that post was how some think RV should be AD for life simply because he. Signed a deal with SMU.

I think we should expect a whole lot more .

And yes, it limits flexibility, mainly because of the mess the schedule is in now. It limits the ability to dig out of the scheduling hole we are in.

If you want to extend the series after the 1st four years, when you can see where scheduling and other things are headed, great. No need for either school to make a 12 year commitment.

But how long would it really take for AD/RV to straighten out our home OOC schedule?

A Big 5 Conference school here and one there; maybe even a MWC school, too, (Boise, San Diego St. Air Force, etc) and doesn't that mostly straighten it out? Any school can only have so many home OOC games as it is. I think more home and homes with Army and Navy would be pretty cool. I still think of that exciting Navy game at Fouts Field a few years ago with that pre-game fly-over.

While a school is in a losing cycle is a good time to do such scheduling, too.

BTW, I think I could identiify several CUSA and Sun Belt schools who would kill for a 12 game home and home with SMU. TSU-San Marcos for one will soon lose their key Texas-based game with UTSA (if they haven't already) and who doesn't think they would love to come to Gerald Ford Stadium 6 out of the next 12 years?

Heck, Baylor would probably even like more games with SMU, too.

I have not yet given up with our future OOC home schedule. Our AD knows what our fans want (since he's heard it enough

from many). I hope he never schedules any more Sun Belt Conference schools (ever) unless one becomes the first Top 25 ranked 'Belt school. When you get out of the sticks to a much nicer neighborhood, how many spend their time trying to get back to the sticks? (Sorry, the 'Belt served our purpose for awhile but being the only Texas-based SBC school really sucked).

CUSA is not to be confused with the (now defunct) Southwest Conference by any means, but for North Texas at this time of our history it may be the 2'nd best thing for us with all the Texas-based CUSA rivals we will have along with others not so far away, too..

I merely point to my new, updated signature below for future UNT recruits--even some who just committed to a Sun Belt school or 2 that North Texas just might change their minds when they see our CUSA destination cities and areas of the USA for away games, compared to most other Go5 conferences destinations.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

Please provide me the link to the posts where folks said this? A tad bit of "over the top" this time, really...don't you think?

I think we can all dig up post after post where folks complain about UNT not getting a series with SMU, but I think yours is the very first to ever complain about actually getting that series going again...you must not have been around during the "I'll play them in a Safeway parking lot" days.

Here's the thing these days with many UNT "fans":

"we Never Recruit Local Kids"...fact...we actually do recruit local kids...who often commit elsewhere to that the same folks reply..."we are always out recruited for kids in our own back yard".

"we never play our local natural rivals"...we get a great series going with SMU and the same folks poo poo the deal and say it "hampers our ability to schedule"

"We never recruit the 3-4-5 star kids"...fact...we recruit and offer them and some go on to commit elsewhere to which the same folks reply "we are losing out on all the recruiting battles"...never mind that UNT has won some of these battles as well.

"we need to play more Texas teams so we can travel to games and have rival games"...we join CUSA and the same folks poo poo UTSA and claim they are not worthy opponents and then the same folks claim UTSA is already passing us by as is every other FBS school in Texas.

Lord have mercy....this Mean Green "fan" base is some dysfunctional bunch these days...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Please provide me the link to the posts where folks said this? A tad bit of "over the top" this time, really...don't you think?

I think we can all dig up post after post where folks complain about UNT not getting a series with SMU, but I think yours is the very first to ever complain about actually getting that series going again...you must not have been around during the "I'll play them in a Safeway parking lot" days.

Here's the thing these days with many UNT "fans":

"we Never Recruit Local Kids"...fact...we actually do recruit local kids...who often commit elsewhere to that the same folks reply..."we are always out recruited for kids in our own back yard".

"we never play our local natural rivals"...we get a great series going with SMU and the same folks poo poo the deal and say it "hampers our ability to schedule"

"We never recruit the 3-4-5 star kids"...fact...we recruit and offer them and some go on to commit elsewhere to which the same folks reply "we are losing out on all the recruiting battles"...never mind that UNT has won some of these battles as well.

"we need to play more Texas teams so we can travel to games and have rival games"...we join CUSA and the same folks poo poo UTSA and claim they are not worthy opponents and then the same folks claim UTSA is already passing us by as is every other FBS school in Texas.

Lord have mercy....this Mean Green "fan" base is some dysfunctional bunch these days...

I just think we should have much higher goals than a series with SMU, a small private university.

That small, private university definitely has much higher goals than playing UNT every year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1