Christian Beard Midway (Waco) OL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Up to five offers per his twitter, latest from NMSU

David Smoak @DavidSmoak 1h

Beard was at SMU over the weekend, thought he had until end of week to commit, he did on Wednesday, but was told the offer no longer stood

After Midway HC Terry Gambill spoke with HC June Jones and an assistant, the offer was back on the table, but, Beard, whose father Joe >>>

Played at SMU from 1979-1983, decided the relationship was damaged and de-committed. Not sure how this ends sometime down the road.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

cbeard75

19 minutes ago

So blessed to have an offer from such an amazing school like North Texas! Really impressed with the visit I took! Great coaches, facility's and school. Definitely one of the top schools I'm considering! #MeanGreenFollow

• Upvote 1

Lets call it momentum when we actually get the commits.

Momentum may be a little overzealous, but I like what we've done lately with the visitors, camp, and possible commit(s). Still haven't heard anything from Vito about Means, but I think we have a really good shot of holding onto Jackson.
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't think that there's any doubt that Beard is a quality athlete and that we'd like to have him at UNT. But, we are in much better shape depth-wise at offensive line than at some of the other positions (wide receiver, defensive line, linebacker) and we need to try our best to cover those positions before acknowledging a commitment from another position. In addition, there are two other offensive linemen that are rated the same as Christian Beard. I'd love to have them all because I sincerely believe that all are capale of starting for us.

I don't think that there's any doubt that Beard is a quality athlete and that we'd like to have him at UNT. But, we are in much better shape depth-wise at offensive line than at some of the other positions (wide receiver, defensive line, linebacker) and we need to try our best to cover those positions before acknowledging a commitment from another position. In addition, there are two other offensive linemen that are rated the same as Christian Beard. I'd love to have them all because I sincerely believe that all are capale of starting for us.

I get more excited about linemen than skill position players... maybe that is flawed, but if we have good beef on both sides of the ball, it seems like the other positions are automatically going to have a better chance to succeed.

So, in short, the more quality linemen we have, the better off we'll be. Ok, I am the master of stating the obvious. Now for the defensive line...... Hopefully Mr Beard saw Simmonds feeding his big boys on the Beyond the green show this week...and then skipped the recap of the tulane poop game...

It's one thing to have quantity, but we need quality as well. We've seen 6 lineman get significant snaps this year. 1 of those lineman is a senior and 4 of them are juniors. We have 8 other scholarship lineman, but who knows if they will be adequate replacements once guys like Johnson, Lemon, and Y'Barbo leave after next year.

I think Beard would have a really good chance to come in, redshirt, and take one of the potentially 4 starting positions that will open after Mckinney and the three 4-year starters leave after the 2014 season.