Shooting at MIT/Chase/Explosions and Apprehension in Cambridge

I agree with both of y'all.

They could have been radicalized (facts still being sorted out) They probably schemed this and acted out on their own, with no help.

Maybe a group of Jihad terrorists are sitting somewhere, laughing and clapping at the two. "Wow! Idiots...but good job. Next time ask for help."

We have seen it before. Right here in Dalas. Some nut reaching out on the internet asking anyone to help him with jihad hooks up with someone who helps him build a bomb and suggests a high rise in Dallas as a target. The nut drives the truck bomb under the building. Walks away, and makes the call to detonate the bomb...

Only the person helping him "build a bomb" was actually an FBI agent. Welcome to prison, Islamist terrorist.

http://www.standeyo.com/NEWS/09_Terror/090925.terrorist.Dallas.Smaldi.html (notice the parents statements. Sound familiar?)

Maybe these Boston Islamic terrorists actually contacted someon on the internet who wasn't the FBI.

Maybe the older brother was an active terrorist in russia who just changed targets.

Time will tell.

What we do know is that this was Ismalist terrorism, any way you slice it.

• Upvote 1

As much as I make smartass comments (see previous posts in this thread) to lighten the mood, I think there's a serious point being missed here. It doesn't matter if they are Islamic extremists or reactionary domestic conservatives; the fact is that pretty much anybody could make these bombs (hence my half-joking dumb statement before about "make go boom").

Whether you're new to this country or born into it, there has to be a sense of responsibility and community developed within all of us. Many take it for granted, but the fact is that there are many people who feel like "outsiders," be it due to immigration or simply their general social status. It doesn't take much to integrate that kind of person into a sub-community where they feel accepted and are willing to go to extremes for the small segment of the population that they feel "understands" them, so this is of course a bigger risk with younger people who have yet to develop a sense of individual responsibility.

I don't want this to sound like a bunch of socialized hippie "I'm okay, you're okay" crap, because it isn't. It's about being aware of those around you and the willingness to foster that sense of communal responsibility in others. Befriending, and socializing with, those who may seem a bit unusual or different allows us to maintain the balance between our realization of differences and our actions to ensure that those differences are treated with a modicum of mutual respect and understanding.

Without this, there would be no cities, no armies, no government of which to speak. Our desire and need for individuality and unique purpose must not exceed the limits of that which allows us to achieve the proper maintenance of our society as we deem fit as a collective whole.

Let's face it. We all have the same level of primary education and a considerable amount of development in higher education. Though most would choose not to even think of it, the fact is that if we so chose, any of us who paid attention through that period could create weapons that would cause far more chaos than those currently being sensationalized. The fact that we do not plan or execute those is a testament to our belief to the commitment to ensure a greater tomorrow, not a worse one. We believe that with time and far more peaceful actions there will be progress to limitless possibilities for what is often termed "the best of our humanity".

So yes, I have an incredible amount of disdain for what has been done by these two boys - and I call them boys because, if they were men, they would not have been so easily misled. But I also see it as a reminder that we must remain vigilant in our need to inspire that sense of community, that idea that each of us - as well as humanity as a whole - can be better in spite of what has been laid out before us by those less enlightened and those without a belief in better days to come.

To do any less would truly, as some have said and others have joked, "let the terrorists win." There would be no terror if those attempting to inspire it believed that the best things in life were still out there, waiting, on the horizon.

• Upvote 3

As much as I make smartass comments (see previous posts in this thread) to lighten the mood, I think there's a serious point being missed here. It doesn't matter if they are Islamic extremists or reactionary domestic conservatives; the fact is that pretty much anybody could make these bombs (hence my half-joking dumb statement before about "make go boom").

Whether you're new to this country or born into it, there has to be a sense of responsibility and community developed within all of us. Many take it for granted, but the fact is that there are many people who feel like "outsiders," be it due to immigration or simply their general social status. It doesn't take much to integrate that kind of person into a sub-community where they feel accepted and are willing to go to extremes for the small segment of the population that they feel "understands" them, so this is of course a bigger risk with younger people who have yet to develop a sense of individual responsibility.

I don't want this to sound like a bunch of socialized hippie "I'm okay, you're okay" crap, because it isn't. It's about being aware of those around you and the willingness to foster that sense of communal responsibility in others. Befriending, and socializing with, those who may seem a bit unusual or different allows us to maintain the balance between our realization of differences and our actions to ensure that those differences are treated with a modicum of mutual respect and understanding.

Without this, there would be no cities, no armies, no government of which to speak. Our desire and need for individuality and unique purpose must not exceed the limits of that which allows us to achieve the proper maintenance of our society as we deem fit as a collective whole.

Let's face it. We all have the same level of primary education and a considerable amount of development in higher education. Though most would choose not to even think of it, the fact is that if we so chose, any of us who paid attention through that period could create weapons that would cause far more chaos than those currently being sensationalized. The fact that we do not plan or execute those is a testament to our belief to the commitment to ensure a greater tomorrow, not a worse one. We believe that with time and far more peaceful actions there will be progress to limitless possibilities for what is often termed "the best of our humanity".

So yes, I have an incredible amount of disdain for what has been done by these two boys - and I call them boys because, if they were men, they would not have been so easily misled. But I also see it as a reminder that we must remain vigilant in our need to inspire that sense of community, that idea that each of us - as well as humanity as a whole - can be better in spite of what has been laid out before us by those less enlightened and those without a belief in better days to come.

To do any less would truly, as some have said and others have joked, "let the terrorists win." There would be no terror if those attempting to inspire it believed that the best things in life were still out there, waiting, on the horizon.

In this case, don't you mean reactionary domestic liberals?

They hate Christianity, are against the war on terror, and were collecting a government check because they were too lazy to work, after all.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7