Ex-football recruit on Tommy Tuberville: ‘It’s a bad situation’

Harry

Pebblebrook High School defensive back Demetrius Monday de-committed from Cincinnati on Thursday after never hearing from new coach Tommy Tuberville.

“I think it’s messed up,” his father, Bryant Monday, told the AJC. “You wait until a few weeks before signing day to say something? They could have told us a month ago.

“Now we’re left with less than a month until signing day to figure something out. He had other scholarship offers but he hasn’t talked to those coaches in six months … since he committed to Cincinnati on July 25.

“It’s really disappointing.”

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound Monday said he committed to Cincinnati over Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Ball State, Ohio and Georgia State, among others, last summer. Tuberville was hired by Cincinnati on Dec. 8.

After not hearing from the new staff, the elder Monday finally called up the football offices this week.

“They told us to ‘look other places,’” Monday said. “I’m in Los Angeles on vacation, and I just got the bad news.

“The thing is, we’ve talked to some other kids committed to Cincinnati. They say the same thing, that they haven’t heard from the staff. Basically (Tuberville) isn’t calling anybody, he’s trying to get the kids to de-commit on their own.

“It’s a bad situation.”

read more: http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2013/01/10/ex-cincy-recruit-on-tuberbville-its-a-bad-situation/

Here's more on this story: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21540048/cincinnati-recruits-tuberville-pulled-our-scholarships-and-didnt-tell-us

Check this out:

Last week, the head coach of noted Massillon (Ohio) High, Jason Hall, told a local paper last week that Tuberville would be effectively banned from recruiting Massillon players after he reportedly pulled a scholarship offer from quarterback Kyle Kempt. In Ohio, that's no trifling matter: Since Hall arrived in 2008, Washington [i think that's supposed to be "Massillon"] has produced six FBS signees, including current Ohio State starter Devin Smith, and is expected to add three more to that list this year, including Kempt.

There was a story out there about Tuberville having dinner with 3 Tech recruits. He got a call from Cincy during the dinner & bailed on the recruits. Didn't even say a word as he just got up & left

It was something like this , I'll try to dig up the story

• Upvote 1

My favorite comment from the story.

vols84 says:Dec 12, 2012 6:01 PM

When does Senator Craig James report to Washington? Oh, he didn’t get elected?

I understand the disappointment, but If I was that Dad and had not heard anything within 3 days of Tuberville getting the job, I am tracking Tuberville down. Especially since signing day was less than 2 months away at the time of Tuberville's hire. Yes I agree Tuberville should have called ALL of the commitments and let them know their status ASAP, I say within 48 hours. A lot of these coaches only have loyalty to themselves these days, not even their own teams. Anybody remember the fit he threw when Auburn interviewed Petrino? What an a-hole.

• Upvote 1