Just talked to a scout

Dr. Seuss

That is fine. At least you have an understanding. Where do you coach at? Is it local?

Coached 15 years in North Texas area and 5 years in Houston area. Years were split as both and assistant coach and head coach, levels 2A-5A. Can' t tell you were I coach "at". Sorry, I graduated from NTSU. We were taught not to end sentences with a preposition.

• Upvote 3

And we lost to a D2 team.

The same D2 team gave Cleveland State a run for their money as well. They are a very disciplined team. UT lost to a D2 school and then went on to beat North Carolina. My point is that we can get over it an still win our conference. Good teams with disciplined players will always find a way to win. (Assuming our player learn some discipline)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I too loved that Niko started. I really like his game. He can take the ball to the hole and score. He did make a few mistakes tonight but had a few bad calls go his way. I would be interested in seeing this lineup.

PG- Alzee

SG-J. Williams

SF- Mitchell

PF- Niko

C- Coleman

Really, I mean Really...

JJ is an excellent recruiter. There is no debating that! Have you looked at the level of competition they played? Outside of Seton Hall and maybe Mcneese State who did they play....

Im interested to see how they play against Marquette actually.

Me too, whichever way it goes I am sure it will be a better coached, better played game. Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 1

The same D2 team gave Cleveland State a run for their money as well. They are a very disciplined team. UT lost to a D2 school and then went on to beat North Carolina. My point is that we can get over it an still win our conference. Good teams with disciplined players will always find a way to win. (Assuming our player learn some discipline)

This team isnt disciplined... Have you watched the damn game... Tell me one time this team was disciplined...

Coached 15 years in North Texas area and 5 years in Houston area. Years were split as both and assistant coach and head coach, levels 2A-5A. Can' t tell you were I coach "at". Sorry, I graduated from NTSU. We were taught not to end sentences with a preposition.

Ah.. well times have changed now. It is the in thing to end your sentences with prepositions. ;)

Where do you feel that Benford could improve? Is something going on in practice that no one knows about? What offense do you see them running? Does it seem to you like the thunder offense? (not the NBA team for those who may think that). What other option do we have? Would a 4 corners offense work better? It would clear some lanes (assuming they move out on us even it stretches the zone). I do not have the highest basketball IQ but I know enough to get around. I am sure that you know more and am interested to hear your thoughts on the offensive end.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UT also beat the crap out of UTA.

• Upvote 1

I too loved that Niko started. I really like his game. He can take the ball to the hole and score. He did make a few mistakes tonight but had a few bad calls go his way. I would be interested in seeing this lineup.

PG- Alzee

SG-J. Williams

SF- Mitchell

PF- Niko

C- Coleman

Glue or paint? Paper bag or closed garage?

• Upvote 2

Really, I mean Really...

Alzee- though it is not his true position he is the most fundamental player we have

Jordan- Can jump out of the building and his size at the sg can create match up problems. He can also hit the three (though nothing is falling this year)

Tony- This is his natural position. He can be tested and we can find out if he can create his own shot and play with his back to the basket.

Niko- Tony always plays better when Niko is in. He actually has great court vision and his defense has really improved this year. He also allows Tony to play the 3

Colman- I considered Holman in the post but I want to see what his big body can do. We have not seen enough of him. I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Alzee- though it is not his true position he is the most fundamental player we have

Jordan- Can jump out of the building and his size at the sg can create match up problems. He can also hit the three (though nothing is falling this year)

Tony- This is his natural position. He can be tested and we can find out if he can create his own shot and play with his back to the basket.

Niko- Tony always plays better when Niko is in. He actually has great court vision and his defense has really improved this year. He also allows Tony to play the 3

Colman- I considered Holman in the post but I want to see what his big body can do. We have not seen enough of him. I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing...

I think Niko ended the night with 4 fouls in 10 mins and cant play defense... Colman looks lost, has no game on both ends... 7'2 wingspan playing the 3 sounds smart (joke).. Al can play either the one or two, and has been the best player on the floor.. Jordan playing the 2, not sure about that

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 1

What is there to cheer about, Mr. #1 UNT Basketball Fan?

A coach who doesn't set a gameplan?

A player who gives up if the ball isn't passed his direction?

A player who just sucks (CJ)?

A player who sucks. The same player that led the team and conference last year before exiting in ppg and assists and was in the top 10 rebounding. The player that is playing injured now. The player that got yanked out of the game at least twice tonight for minor errors. The player that had 7 of 10 NT assists tonight. The player who IMO is being so mishandled by his coach that he may never get back to where he should be.

• Upvote 3

I can't see why he stays another year. Benford has already cost tony millions, another year with him coaching and tony might end up in Europe

There were European scouts out there tonight as well. Said hello to a couple on my way out.

There were several scouts and NBA reps in the audience that agree with Andrew. Maybe those guys better figure out something about basketball too, right? They obviously don't know a thing either. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Sooooooooo glad you were on the vein of so many scouts and NBA reps.

On a side note, it was kind of fun during breaks to play "spot the Scout who looks like money".

My scout quotes: "Why don't you guys play defense? They look dead out there." And "I saw Mitchell at the Lebeon Camp and he was a beast, what happened?"

I informed him it was a coaching problem.

I sat and watch and listened as Coach Benford yelled at his team loud enough for everyone in the 1st 20 rows to gear. Such coaching nuggets like "Go up strong, Jacob" and, yelling at the bench after a defensive breakdown, but while play is still ongoing "We went over that in practice", like the guys on the bench had anything to do with what was going on on the court. It's like he yelled it as loud as he could strictly for the first 20 rows (which included many NBA scouts) to hear.

This is a disaster. If I knew a big donor who had the money to buy out the contract, I would beg him in person to right the check.

We are in Todd Dodge territory here. That is where we are at. We will see after this 12 win season just how serious UNT is about athletics.

Time to learn how much the AD has learned form that saga, and whether they have the forward-thinking down to nip this episode in the bud... while it is still budding.

Edited by Christopher Walker

Seems to be that you may have overheard the same guys I did...or maybe they had similar opinions of what they saw...but, you know those guys don't know anything about basketball. They just need to talk with all the BB experts here on GMG.com. Man, those NBA guys are just basketball dummies!

You dont go from being one of the top players at the Lebron and Stoudemire camp to a scrub... Let alone rated a top 10 player in the NCAA to a mid 2nd round draft pick at best right now...

Im sorry but this has more to do with Benford knowing how to control his team and actually coach... The players have 0 trust in him and when you dont trust your leader, things go down hill real fast

• Upvote 4

I read through all this garbage just to make sure I didn't post something that someone already said, so ladies and gentlemen of the jury, here it goes. The players don't like the coach. See the lack of heart and hussle and the half arse-ing? They don't like him. I heard one player even has a countdown clock on his phone to when conference play ends. Think about it. If you love your job, get along great with your boss, the company's doing well, you're going to take pride in what you do. Give your max effort. Then one day your boss takes another job and you get this new boss who does things a way you don't like. Your company starts doing poorly, which makes others uneasy. How do you feel going to work having a boss you hate? Is that going to motivate you to do your best work? Heck no! The players don't like Benford just as much as we don't and haven't from day one. Anyone else remember Tony's explicative laced tweet once Benford got hired? The defense rests.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I read through all this garbage just to make sure I didn't post something that someone already said, so ladies and gentlemen of the jury, here it goes. The players don't like the coach. See the lack of heart and hussle and the half arse-ing? They don't like him. I heard one player even has a countdown clock on his phone to when conference play ends. Think about it. If you love your job, get along great with your boss, the company's doing well, you're going to take pride in what you do. Give your max effort. Then one day your boss takes another job and you get this new boss who does things a way you don't like. Your company starts doing poorly, which makes others uneasy. How do you feel going to work having a boss you hate? Is that going to motivate you to do your best work? Heck no! The players don't like Benford just as much as we don't and haven't from day one. Anyone else remember Tony's explicative laced tweet once Benford got hired? The defense rests.

they can always go elsewhere and get a new job

and

Tony Benford is a home run hire

and you were so dow on the hire

coaches caravan

I'll probably be there.

and

I'm no expert on St. Louis, Creighton, or Lehigh but I would think the Creighton game would be considered more of a must see than the St. Louis one. Maybe I'm completely off base here? Either way these games are gonna be a treat.

and

Really excited for this

. An upset would be huge for us this season. We'll need a couple to get an at large bid if we don't win the SB Tournament.

and

I know I have green glasses on but y'all are Creighton from the MVC. Get off your high horse a little bit and prepare for that Mean Green butt kickin!

and

I'm really excited to see a complete Mean Green team with Tony, CJ, Jordan, everyone firing on all cylinders.

and

I remember my freshman year at NT (2009) There was maybe 2 or 3 dunks all season. There is so much athleticism on this team it could be 2 to 3 dunks a half. The guys looked great last night but were all really tired from 2 practices earlier that day. I'm incredibly excited for this coming season and can't wait to see where they go! GMG

if only you had let everyone know how against the hire you were before you spouted all the crap above you would look like a genius instead of someone making up for a punch of spoiled babies that are playing like crap and giving poor effort because they don't want to do work the way their coach tells them to

I would imagine they will give that same effort supersizing it in their future vocation if they keep up the attitude you are making excuses for

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1