Marquette AD speaks on Big East adding Tulane, More

Harry

On Tulane joining the Big East:

“I was not pleased that we issued an invitation to Tulane without any diligence to what effect that would have on our basketball product, the draw on our RPI and other such things. I was disappointed that I wasn’t able to participate as a member of the conference in the deliberation that went into adding that. There might be well articulated and very deep reasons why you would do it otherwise. But dog-gone-it, I’m not concerned about that. I’m concerned about making sure that Marquette is in a position that it can take advantage of the great investment it’s made in being successful in basketball.”

Is it fair to say other basketball-only schools feel the same way?

“Yes to varying degrees. Part of this is just everybody’s uneasy with all these questions that everybody’s got in their own minds. There was something really cool about the Big East. You could rely on it to get six or eight or nine bids in a year.

“It was home. Now that home has been sort of changed, and somebody came and put new furniture in, and boy, do we still fit here is what everyone is sort of thinking about.”

Do you assume Marquette is going to be a part of Big East basketball in 2013-’14?

“The assumption is yes, but everything is on the table. Let me just put it that way. We’re evaluating everything.

“Interestingly, the Big East basketball television deal expires at the end of this academic year. So there’s got to be a new media deal put in place by the conference, and we want to evaluate what does that mean for us? Do we get the same level of exposure so that you’re not thinking this is the A-10 or you don’t have to go look for the product.”

Read more:http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=16611

Let's turn the clock back a few months.

The Sun Belt designated a committee for expansion with stated goal of pursuing La.Tech and UTSA. The committee came back having invited Georgia State.

If anyone had cornered RV on the right day after that happened, I suspect his comments wouldn't have sounded much different than those.

• Upvote 1