Football Banquet

KRAM1

Nice event this evening.

Team Awards:

Newcomer of the Year:Jimmerson

Bill Bishop Award: Obi

Bill Brashier Award: Whitfield

Byron Gross Awars: Orr (side note- Byron Gross was in attendance)

Joe Green Award: Orr

Shawn Kramer Award: Feeley & Phillips

Abner Haynes Award: Atterberrys

Phillip Armour Award: Y'Barbo

Ja'Quay Wilburn Award: Byrd

Steve Ramsey Award: Fortenberry

Oxus Mitchell Award: Orr

Mac also mentioned that Tanner Smith will be placed on scholarship

Andrew Power will play in a S. Carolina All-Star Game

RV also made a big point of mentioning that he will be remembering all the folks who are supporting this team and program through both the good and bad times...and that he will alo remember those that don't. Told a good story about that from another coach and program. Mac was Coach Mac in his comments...very positive and also thankful for those who are supporting him and his program. He was meeting with recruits at Apogee right after the banquet ended.

Really good to hear from some of the players as well. Good crowd...good time...really glad I made it again this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

SMH :no: pmg or maybe I should say pms.

Appreciate you dumping on the program the night set aside to celebrate the North Texas Football team and their accomplishments. A team of young men and adults that work non-stop to get better and represent this school in the best possible ways! You may not have called out the players but dropping this crapola in this thread is a direct shot at the work they do for North Texas no matter what you intended. Real big of you! As bad as NT needs supporters, there are times I wonder if losing your type might be addition by subtraction.

I'll take what Rawlings, RV, Coach Mac, Coaches, Players, Managers, Trainers, and all of the other Athletic Staff have done and do for NT instead of what you do to support the program!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

After the Banquet George rushed over to play a Birdogs show at Dan's. Hank Dickenson was there, as were several mean green players. Great night, a few mean green mentions as well. I don't know how jub does at all, while also being pretty darn good at all of it. The players I noticed were basically Thompson, the o-line, and little Dunham.

SMH :no: pmg or maybe I should say pms.

Appreciate you dumping on the program the night set aside to celebrate the North Texas Football team and their accomplishments. A team of young men and adults that work non-stop to get better and represent this school in the best possible ways! You may not have called out the players but dropping this crapola in this thread is a direct shot at the work they do for North Texas no matter what you intended. Real big of you! As bad as NT needs supporters, there are times I wonder if losing your type might be addition by subtraction.

I'll take what Rawlings, RV, Coach Mac, Coaches, Players, Managers, Trainers, and all of the other Athletic Staff have done and do for NT instead of what you do to support the program!

So what would be the appropriate time to post that our leadership in the UNT athletic department continues to suck at what they do? Compare season ticket sales from 1 year after a bowl win (2003) compared to today AND...........attendance figures from that same year to this year--even in our 2'nd year at Apogee Stadium when all of the newcomers at UNT, Denton and Denton County should be knocking the doors down to go watch our fine varsity football players (of which I think Coach Mac will turn his part of all this athletic department business around, quite frankly). It's not our varsity football players or Coach Mac I am posting about at all.

Yet...........you really are a newbie, now aren't you? Give all this another 10 years (which is what this admin could very well approve with this group with pay raises and contract extensions and that for those who keep our season ticket sales down because they never set goals nor have the personnel that could reach them if they did, and then you, too, sir, will change your entire tune. I work most Saturdays as a professional DJ and (like a Jewish Rabbi or 7'th Day Adventist preacher) Saturdays seems to most always be my work days. Sue me for being a tax-payer who now works to help take care of all the generational slackers who've been around longer than before this present regime in Washington in fairness to them.

Been a supporter since 1973--Hayden Fry's first game to coach for the Mean Green was my first as a (then) UNT student to attend but.....................the last 15 or years we've all seen so little return of our investment (which many of us still kickin' actually saw close to 40 years ago with 2 UNT HFC's who actually left Denton above. 500) yet so little return lately with a program at a respectul level (even at just a Top 50 ranked NCAA FBS level). Right now I'm paying higher than hell med bills at age 62 so North Texas (still being the toy section of the department store of life for most of us) :mom: will have to take a back seat. I utterly admire you who still continue to throw your good money after what we should all know by now has no momentum whatsoever as an athletic department--I really do and that is no B.S. with that statement, either.

So UNTnewbie' and others who can't see the trees for the forest with all this, just give all this more time and you will see what most of us on this board have seen for years, hell, for decades (and call it for what its worth no matter how that will keep those of us who who question "the Emperor Who Wore No Clothes from ever being recipients of the UNT Ulys Knight Spirit Award.

GMG!

PS: Minus the politics, TTG.

-1....And yes, athletic dept. types at UNT do read Harry's Mean Green. They could "hear" some of this at those promised quarterly meetings that never materialized because I assure you what I have to say is tame compared to others I've heard last few years. Ask not and you receive not, fellow alums.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 13

Plumm...wow, that's quite a rant you have going there. Don't know man, but the team, coaches and folks actually present last evening to hear in person what RV and the coaches and players had to say, seemed pretty darn pleased with RV's comments. Maybe you heard them differently from where you were sitting and maybe you saw the reaction to the comments differently...guess you did with this rant.

So, I am sure you are sending a copy to RV, Coach Mac and Dr. Rawlins, right? You know, the folks you directed this rant toward. Or, is this just something for a "message board" with a pseudo-name?

This evening, and I am guessing those who were able to be there to enjoy it in person, was a really nice event, and it was great to especially honor the seniors who have worked so hard to build a foundation for those following in their footsteps. It was easy to see, through those that spoke...players I mean...how much they love this school, this program and their teammates. I had more than one player thank me personally for being there and supporting the team. They had no clue who I was...and, frankly I only knew who one was myself, they were just thanking me...as they were others...for being there in support.

But, appreciate the rant man...way to bring down the room.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So UNTnewbie' and others who can't see the trees for the forest with all this, just give all this more time and you will see what most of us on this board have seen for years, hell, for decades (and call it for what its worth no matter how that will keep those of us who who question "the Emperor Who Wore No Clothes from ever being recipients of the UNT Ulys Knight Spirit Award.

GMG!

So, it's all about winning personal recognition...this support thing for you? Hmmmm...and you do realize, that this is an Alumni Award and selected by an Alumni Association headed committee. The athletic department has zero responsibility for the UNT Alumni Awards...you do realize that, yes?

Just FYI...the Alumni Awards Banquet will be held Feb. 22nd this next year....got a list of the winners for all the awards yesterday...some great names and well deserved I might add. Am sure you will want to mark the date down and buy your ticket as soon as they become available.

Like the football banquet, this event is a really great one.

BTW...you are more than welcome to nominate anyone you choose for the Spirit Award or any other award you wish to nominate someone for....info is sent to Alumni Association members via the website or you can certainly call the Alumni Association offices for a nomination application. The Alumni Awards Committee will review and consider anyone you nominate.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We are all guilty of coming to this board and venting frustration with the on field/court performance of our teams. That's natural.

But to express that much vitriol toward our administration, the athletic director, the athletic department, Denton, the sky, the moon, the earth, well, I encourage you to notice the door right over there and suggest you spend your hard earned dollars on something a bit less stressful.

And what, in God's green earth, does Obama's (I'm sorry, Communist Hussein Obama) drinking pals have to do with anything even remotely related to UNT athletics? This is not the political forum, and that has expressly broken the forum rules.

1973? I could give a shit. I'm done with the treason.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

RV also made a big point of mentioning that he will be remembering all the folks who are supporting this team and program through both the good and bad times...and that he will alo remember those that don't.

The bolded is what your AD should say, as for the rest, how are you going to remember them? By not taking their money when they want to buy season tickets? By putting them on a secret AD hit list? By denying them entrance to the Mean Green room? By kicking their kids out of the Jr. Mean Green Club and having Scrappy say mean things to them?

KRAM, I really hope this is a misquote by you, but if not, it's a pretty comical statement. You are the AD. Stay above the fray.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The bolded is what your AD should say, as for the rest, how are you going to remember them? By not taking their money when they want to buy season tickets? By putting them on a secret AD hit list? By denying them entrance to the Mean Green room? By kicking their kids out of the Jr. Mean Green Club and having Scrappy say mean things to them?

KRAM, I really hope this is a misquote by you, but if not, it's a pretty comical statement. You are the AD. Stay above the fray.

Bingo. The idea that our athletic director would hold a grudge against ANYONE...especially when our main revenue sports have a perpetual bloody nose from falling on their face lately...is ridiculous (and telling, if true). Some of us want more out of that department than treading water.

And as for this little nugget from Plumm "Herman Cain of whom many of us felt came from the right side of the tracks....", please see my avatar.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And as for this little nugget from KRAM "Herman Cain of whom many of us felt came from the right side of the tracks....", please see my avatar.

I guess I am missing something here...please fill me in. Thanks. I see no relevance here....who said anything about Cain or your avatar...and it came from where? Not following you here Sarge...but I guess you could bake some more cookies for the ladies at work or something.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seems to me that Plumm must have had too much Jack Daniels when he wrote his post.

One thing is for sure - he has to have the thinnest fingers of anyone on this board given the exercise they get from typing his almost endless diatribes.

Plumm - have enjoyed most of your postings over the years - but this was not one of them!

I wish for you happier tomorrows.

GMG

• Upvote 1

I guess I am missing something here...please fill me in. Thanks. I see no relevance here....who said anything about Cain or your avatar...and it came from where? Not following you here Sarge...but I guess you could bake some more cookies for the ladies at work or something.

Meant from Plumm. Fixed it.

Mac mentioned that UNT will open Aug. 31st at home ... First home opener for a season in umpteen years. Also said that 3 of our first opponents are still practicing and will be in bowl games. I believe he did mention that the opener was Idaho at Apogee.

Questions concerning awards because I don't know and which I don't have any problem with. Has there always been scout teams awards or did Mac start it? Don't recall a player getting so many awards like Zachary either. Seems like the last 2 staffs limited to 2 awards at most, correct?

No problem with it, just asking. Zachary is very much deserving of anything he got.

So, it's all about winning personal recognition...this support thing for you? Hmmmm...and you do realize, that this is an Alumni Award and selected by an Alumni Association headed committee. The athletic department has zero responsibility for the UNT Alumni Awards...you do realize that, yes?

Just FYI...the Alumni Awards Banquet will be held Feb. 22nd this next year....got a list of the winners for all the awards yesterday...some great names and well deserved I might add. Am sure you will want to mark the date down and buy your ticket as soon as they become available.

Like the football banquet, this event is a really great one.

BTW...you are more than welcome to nominate anyone you choose for the Spirit Award or any other award you wish to nominate someone for....info is sent to Alumni Association members via the website or you can certainly call the Alumni Association offices for a nomination application. The Alumni Awards Committee will review and consider anyone you nominate.

I expect Plumm knows as much about the UNT Ulys Knight Spirit Award as anyone, being he has won one.

• Upvote 3

I expect Plumm knows as much about the UNT Ulys Knight Spirit Award as anyone, being he has won one.

Cool. His post does not indicate much knowledge of anything...just a big rant about a bunch of stuff. I think he needed to blow off some steam...happens. No problem. He obviously has a problem with a lot of folks and things from RV to Mac to Rawlins. That is a shame and really too bad. Seems to be holding on to a bit of anger. And, since you say he has the award, he should be aware that it is not an athletic award and that since the Alumni Association was reconstituted in the late 1990's that some things and selection criteria has changed a bit.

• Upvote 2

Cool. His post does not indicate much knowledge of anything...just a big rant about a bunch of stuff. I think he needed to blow off some steam...happens. No problem. He obviously has a problem with a lot of folks and things from RV to Mac to Rawlins. That is a shame and really too bad. Seems to be holding on to a bit of anger. And, since you say he has the award, he should be aware that it is not an athletic award and that since the Alumni Association was reconstituted in the late 1990's that some things and selection criteria has changed a bit.

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/teams/nt.shtml

I rest my case with what the above link indicates which is mostly what what we've been getting at North Texas for too many years--too many of the most recent years truth be told. I say it again: This would not be allowed to happen for this long a time at most NCAA FBS outposts and most of you on this board know this as much as anyone. I've read your posts, too.

We are no better off today in attendance growth than when we were after they year we won a bowl game although the UNT constituency has grown each year substantially since that year was back in the early 2,000's. There is something grossly wrong with a program that has witnessed such growth all around our campus the last 15-20 years to just keep staying the same in numbers of fans.

The above link which will not register with some on this board no matter what it says still tells the tale of North Texas football (and athletics in general) for many, many of the past years in Denton. It's does not make for good reading material at all-not even the kind you want to read on the toilet albeit those multi-year records from the link and the aroma from the Toilet Bowl would have much in common.

WE DESERVE BETTER THAN WHAT WE'RE GETTING AT UNT, FOLKS, BUT WE DON'T HAVE UPPER ECHELON LEADERS WHO CANNOT SEEM TO DISTINGUISH THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GOOD NCAA ATHLETIC PROGRAM AND ONE THAT REEKS WITH MEDIOCRITY AND HAS FOR YEARS. IT'S ALL ON RECORD FOR ALL TO SEE FOR THOSE WHO CHOOSE TO SEE IT AND ADMIT THAT THERE ARE DEFINITE PROBLEMS THAT NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GET ADDRESSED.. SOME OF OUR SMALL THINKING ALUMS WHO CANNOT SEE THE TREES FOR THE FOREST ARE AS MUCH THE PROBLEM AS THE ONES PAID WHO KEEP CREATING OUR ANNUAL (now into decades) PROBLEMS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS. ONE ALUM TOLD ME WE GET WHAT WE ASK FOR WHICH SEEMS TO NOT BE VERY MUCH.

Have to go DJ an event now so I an keep paying those taxes!

Have A Nice Day! :)

and........GMG!

Edited by Harry
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 9