Zach Peters

UNT90

Saw Zach and family Saturday night in Duncanville; watching his younger brother play (freshman). Zach commited to Kansas as a freshman and needless to say, oversigned. Never thought he'd even make it to Kansas as he was better player as a freshman. Don't mean to be too harsh but I'd pass. Unfortunately for him, and other local hopefuls, SMU has turned up their recruiting significantly since Brown took over.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Saw Zach and family Saturday night in Duncanville; watching his younger brother play (freshman). Zach commited to Kansas as a freshman and needless to say, oversigned. Never thought he'd even make it to Kansas as he was better player as a freshman. Don't mean to be too harsh but I'd pass. Unfortunately for him, and other local hopefuls, SMU has turned up their recruiting significantly since Brown took over.
I agree he signed way over his head. Kansas wanted out of that too as Self encouraged Peters before his senior year to play football.

If he can get over the concussion issue he will provide inside toughness to some team with a nice touch around the basket. He needs to play next to a superior player (like he did at Prestonwood with Randle) to be able to do the dirty work.

He would actually have fit quite nicely next to Tony.

Edited by MeanGreen1984
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I was hoping 6-10 Keith Davis (Texas A&M) would end up here but he chose Southern instead. The Jaquars came within a couple of minutes of upsetting #1 Gonzaga in the 1st round.

If given the choice between Voss and Peters at the 4, I would take Peters. To be effective though, he needs a quality big man to handle the dirty work. (ala Julius Randle). Overall, this class does not stack up with some of our better classes; despite a larger number.

PG - Chris Jones / Vertrail Vaughns / Alzie Williams

SG - TJ Taylor / Vertrail Vaughns / Brandon Walton / Alzie Willams

SF - Jordan Williams / Greg Wesley / Alzie Williams

PF - Zach Peters (tbd) / Alan Voss / Josh Friar / Armani Flanagan

C - Keith Coleman / New Commit / Tony Nunn

• Upvote 1

If we could just get a solid 5 or if Coleman made big improvements I wouldn't feel as bad.

Not to derail this thread, but at the Plano coaching caravan Benford was going over the signees and there was no mention of nunn. Is did anyone else pick up on this? Was it just a mistake by Benford or something bigger?

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1

Not to derail this thread, but at the Plano coaching caravan Benford was going over the signees and there was no mention of nunn. Is did anyone else pick up on this? Was it just a mistake by Benford or something bigger?

I actually noticed that as well. As we know he had bad shin splints his senior year so it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he could have medical issues preventing him from playing. That would move us from 2 spots to 3.... I hope Tony is ok and it was just an oversight on Benford's part.

Was wondering if he could even dunk after watching this highlight... everything was below the rim.

Then I watched this one.

How is he on defense?

After the Balislife love fest we had last fall, I am far less concerned with dunks than I am basketball skills.

What I get from that video is he is a big man that has an above average handle for his size, some decent post moves, and can actually use his left hand when needed, although he only does it once on the video (being able to use both hands around the rim is an important skill for a big man to possess).

He also has soft hands, which I don't think we have every seen in a big white guy at UNT (except for maybe Niko). The fact that he played TE in high school probably helped here.

I think he would be a great addition if he could stay healthy.

Question. Every site shows him as a 2012 recruit. Is that correct? Was last summer's European tour the only time he played for Kansas?

If so, would he have to sit out this year?

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

It is a good thing we did not get him, but he had some potential. Did he even touch the floor in the past year or so?

I found my answer. Four rebounds, five turnovers, 2 fouls and 0 points. 0-6 from the field and all were threes for the 6ft 10 kid. Odd.

Edited by Andrew