NOW...THIS IS A RIVALRY / PART DEAUX

trussbussdad

I will do nothing to give credibility to UTSA. I will never acknowledge them as our "rival".

I'd rather look to Tulsa, UTEP, Tulane, or LA Tech.

But you can't force rivalries. This is an interesting read:

First, a good rivalry requires some degree of similarity between the rivals. In college sports, rival schools are typically quite similar to each other. Texas and Texas A&M; are both large state schools that draw a majority of their students from Texas. Harvard and Yale are both elite East Coast schools. Both of these are intense rivalries. Even though Texas and Rice play each other often, it is hard for either school to generate much enthusiasm for the game.

The next ingredient is frequency. The schools need to meet head to head on a regular basis. In order to sustain the rituals around a rivalry, the teams need to play at least once a season. Growing up in New Jersey, Mets fans and Yankees fans were disdainful of each other, but there was no rivalry because there were no regular-season cross-league games at that point.

The final ingredient is parity. In order for a rivalry to sustain itself, the teams have to be reasonably evenly matched over the long haul. If one team always beats the other, it is hard for the sides to maintain any excitement for the games. UT and A&M; traded off periods of dominance. When the NFL decided to realign its divisions several years ago, it was crucial to keep the Cowboys, Eagles, Giants and Redskins in the same division because these rivals were constantly rising and falling in their dominance. It was fine for the Cardinals to be sent to another division, however, because they were rarely a factor in divisional play and were not a strong rival for any of the other teams.

By these criteria, UTSA is not even close to being a rival. We haven't played a single game, and there is no way to judge how close we are competitively. I would also add that rivalries are typically born out of controversy.

Take our basketball series with UTA. November 15, 2006. When Jermaine Griffin stole that game in The Pit on a controversial call and we had no replay monitor to review the basket, that's when my hatred for UTA began.

• Upvote 1

We are such snobs... you'd think we'd have to be good at something before we'd get our noses so turned up.

Not snobs, we have just been doing it for about 90 years longer than UTSA. They have no facilities, no tradition, nothing. They earned nothing and were given exerything. Our current society in a nutshell.

I am right there with Flyer and Deep.

Truss, I think Rice would be a good natural rivalry. "Smart" private school vs "dumb" large public school. 77-10 (or some such. I dont want to remember the actual score). 4 hour proximity. RESPECTED FBS SCHOOL, etc...

Would they want us as a rival? Probably not, but who knows. Rivalries are made on the gridiron. If we want a rival, we need to play someone in a meaningful game. Hasn't happened in a really long time. TCU was no one's rival in the SWC in the 70s because they sucked. We are currently in that very position. Hopefully it changes, and quickly.

• Downvote 1

I would love to have a big rival (ala UT - OU, UT - ATM - though dead now, Alab - Aub. OSU - Mich, ND - USC) but rivalries like that are created over decades. NT needs to find a school to be linked with long term and make that type of rivalry. Either Football or Basketball (UNC - Duke).

93 98...hope all is well ...SMU would be a great rivalry. Just wish we were in the same conf. would fuel the fire even more.....whats up with you and UTSA by the way???? LOL

Nothing, really. And that's just it. UTSA does absolutely nothing to excite me as a rivalry. I would rather play TS-SM. I would rather that SFA or SHSU had made the move up and joined C-USA than UTSA. All those schools have a little football history and tradition behind them--UTSA has none. To me, they are a boring, faceless entity.

Nothing, really. And that's just it. UTSA does absolutely nothing to excite me as a rivalry. I would rather play TS-SM. I would rather that SFA or SHSU had made the move up and joined C-USA than UTSA. All those schools have a little football history and tradition behind them--UTSA has none. To me, they are a boring, faceless entity.

I would have preferred Texas State as well. Not only do they have "some football history", they have a LOT of football history with us.

R.V. is having discussions with UTSA,Tulas, and La. Tech about establishing some type of traveling trophy. I suggested an Armadillo.Having given it more thought a Possum might be more appropriate, as we play dead at home, and are road kill when we travel.

He really needs not to force this and let it happen naturally. Otherwise, you may end up with a "trophy" that no one at either school gives 2 s&%+s about.

If it is with UTSA, I already and will always never care about that very stupid "trophy", which for the 1st several years of CUSA will probably be made fun of by the rest of the league as the last place trophy.

Edited by UNT90