Observations from a Bar-stool in Connecticut

Just as I was ready to pack it in until basketball season the team goes and does something like that...and totally redeems itself.

- David Busby is not ready. He took some very poor angles (especially on Broadway's TD scamper) and looked far too slow...not sure if it was hesitancy or just a lack of speed, but Busby was exposed on ULL's opening drive and the long TD run. I'm guessing he was only out there b/c Lee was hurt(?)...Lee played, but only recorded 1 tackle so my guess is he's not 100%. Also no Devante Davis on the participation report, so I guess he's hurt as well(?)

- Derek Thompson managed a solid game, but still needs to be better. Yes...he tossed a very nice ball that Chancellor couldn't reel in, but overall he was off...Delgado bailed him out with a couple of brilliant catches, DT got real lucky a few passes (Power on one and Chancellor on another) weren't picked off, and he just plain missed Bynes and Smith on pretty easy TD throws.

- In DT's defense, this offense really only has about 3 play-makers...and they're never on the field together. I really think Canales needs to figure out a package that some how gets Brown, Jimmerson and Chancellor on the field together, even if it's just for 5-10 plays a game. Delgado is remarkably reliable, nice to see Power involved in the passing game more, but neither are potential game-breakers.

- Our offensive line is very athletic. All of our big offensive plays, save for maybe Brown's big run, involved either pulling line-men or getting line-men down field on screens. I also think our line wore down the ULL line by the second half and we started seeing more positive plays as a result.

- The defense is the epitome of choosing whether or not to rob Peter to pay Paul. The line is not generating enough of a pass rush...Brandon McCoy looks a shell of what he was last season, Bellezin has regressed from the form he was in at the start of the season. Blitzing however leaves a very suspect secondary exposed. We got lucky last night...ULL just missed on a couple of deep balls, including one in the end zone that I believe would've tied things at 30(?) My preference would be to just say eff it and bring 5 or 6 more frequently and taking a chance rather than giving an opposing QB 5 seconds to pick apart a defense, but no matter Skalandy's preference, I think we need to be ready for a white-knuckle ride on defense the rest of the way.

I'm sure there are some more things I'm forgetting.

Hopefully this game is the turning point for this team. These are the kind of games we've let slip away for the past damn-near decade...good win, and even better to do it in front of national audience

• Upvote 6

Great observations. Trice made the biggest mistake on the long touchdown run. He was totally fooled by the fake and Broadway could have reached out and touched Trice as he ran by for the long touchdown run. Trice was totally fooled by the fake. However, I really like what Trice did the rest of the night. He's one transfer who is really matching his hype.

It seemed that we really tried to pick our spots to blitz and seemed to blitz more as the game went along. When we did blitz we were pretty effective.

Great observations. Trice made the biggest mistake on the long touchdown run. He was totally fooled by the fake and Broadway could have reached out and touched Trice as he ran by for the long touchdown run. Trice was totally fooled by the fake. However, I really like what Trice did the rest of the night. He's one transfer who is really matching his hype.

It seemed that we really tried to pick our spots to blitz and seemed to blitz more as the game went along. When we did blitz we were pretty effective.

Yes...Trice was caught in on the fake as well. I'm not blaming Busby for Broadway's run, but he too bought the fake and then looked horribly slow in trying to recover. Phillips and Akkune ran past last night's starting safety. That shouldn't happen.

This.