UNT lands BBall Verbal Greg Wesley

Harry

Also, kids can still develop their shot...hops are tougher to come by. I think Jordan's numbers will trend upward this season...he has a good looking stroke, as the game slows for him the shots will start to drop a bit more frequently.

Wesley looked like he was out there playing the 5...6'7" at a public high school likely means you're in the post, no matter your skill set or where you'll be playing at the next level. Didn't watch the whole tape...didn't see him take a jumper so I can't speak to mechanics, but if the basics are there he can develop at least a 15-18 foot range.

His shot looks actually pretty smooth. I think that is the most important thing to improving range and also the hardest to fix the older you get. Similar to throwing a football or baseball, shooting a basketball is a motion that can only change so much around the time an athlete enters high school. Luckily Wesley's form looks pretty good on his shot, he just doesn't look like he needs it much against his current competition. He also hands the ball pretty well.

Before he steps on the court for us he is going to need to work on his range and perimeter defense. He definitely has the tools to become special and the pure athleticism to contribute immediately.

Don't kill me on this comparison but his game reminds me of a young Josh Howard. Howard started off playing more down low and even through his senior year at Wake Forest a lot of his minutes came at the 4. Howard had a good release coming into college and really improved his three-point shooting percentage before he graduated, in addition to his perimeter defense and ball-handling. If Wesley can be anywhere close to Howard's production level we will all be very happy with this pickup, but I think he definitely has the potential.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The video is somewhat misleading as Wesley rarely plays down low. He is a true SF that is very active and moves extremely well without the ball. His game is attacking the boards (both ends of the court) for rebounds, put back jams and alley oops. Wesley plays with 6-9 Julius Randle on his AAU team. Randle is currently ranked the number 1 player in the nation (class of 2013) and plays exclusively down low . Wesley will play with muscular 6-7 Kimani Jackson (transfer from Plano West by way of Michigan) this fall at Sequin.

I don't expect Wesley to start over Anthony Norris or Jordan Williams but there will not be a drop off coming off the bench. My concern is team chemistry. I don't see our big guys being able to run with the other guys. I think it is imperative that Benford sign a lights out shooter at the 2 position; with the final scholarship. Someone a little more athletic than Overlander. Otherwise, zone defenses will kill this team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's why I said let's get gotcher if we can....

Sigh...

1. We don't have a '12-'13 scholarship, so if he does leave Tech soon he'd have to pay his own way here this year to be eligible for the '13-'14 season

2. If he stays at Tech and transfers at the end of the '12-'13 season he has to sit out '13-'14

3. He hasn't left Texas Tech...and since he wasn't recruited by Gillispie, his dismissal/resignation doesn't leave me to believe Gotcher will.

4. And perhaps most importantly...we can do much better.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sigh...

1. We don't have a '12-'13 scholarship, so if he does leave Tech soon he'd have to pay his own way here this year to be eligible for the '13-'14 season

2. If he stays at Tech and transfers at the end of the '12-'13 season he has to sit out '13-'14

3. He hasn't left Texas Tech...and since he wasn't recruited by Gillispie, his dismissal/resignation doesn't leave me to believe Gotcher will.

4. And perhaps most importantly...we can do much better.

But, he IS 6'10"...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

But, he IS 6'10"...

Do you hate being wrong that much? I said the kid was 6'8" and every recruiting cite I read has him at 6'9" ..... Why would believe you over coaches, recruiters and people who do It for a living?

And honestly got her (because the iPad won't let me type his name right!!!!!) is a legit sg. That is all we need! Je was solid before he was injured. Who do you expect we get next year when a lot of the class is already Verbaled in at a school.

• Upvote 4

Is NT over with early recruiting?

NT has no ships left if everyone signs but assuming Mitchell is leaving would have one more. The problem if everyone signs is that using that one ship before the season is dangerous.

Suppose MItchell decided he wants another year or he or one of the seniors is injured and able to redshirt. Or maybe more likely a super recruit becomes available late. We are all familair with that scenario.

The commits are not signed yet, but if NT early signs all them, it appears that NT options are limited. Yes, a ship can be not renewed but that may be a bad option with the players NT currently has.

• Upvote 1

Is NT over with early recruiting?

NT has no ships left if everyone signs but assuming Mitchell is leaving would have one more. The problem if everyone signs is that using that one ship before the season is dangerous.

Suppose MItchell decided he wants another year or he or one of the seniors is injured and able to redshirt. Or maybe more likely a super recruit becomes available late. We are all familair with that scenario.

The commits are not signed yet, but if NT early signs all them, it appears that NT options are limited. Yes, a ship can be not renewed but that may be a bad option with the players NT currently has.

We might be for now. I think what's more likely is if Friar or Casimiro don't pan out you could maybe see Benford take away those offers in favor of the better recruit. Casimiro has sold no UNT fans on his scholarship so if he doesn't produce this year it's possible as many bigs as we have committed.

As Harry has stated, the best possible scenario to happen for us is for Tony Mitchell to have a great year, lead us to our best year in school history, declare for the 2013 draft, and get selected early.

• Upvote 1

We might be for now. I think what's more likely is if Friar or Casimiro don't pan out you could maybe see Benford take away those offers in favor of the better recruit. Casimiro has sold no UNT fans on his scholarship so if he doesn't produce this year it's possible as many bigs as we have committed.

As Harry has stated, the best possible scenario to happen for us is for Tony Mitchell to have a great year, lead us to our best year in school history, declare for the 2013 draft, and get selected early.

I actually like Casimiro as a recruit. Without getting on my moral high horse, I don't think giving commitments to players and then reneging is a policy that will serve NT well on a long term basis. That will ruin a coach or schools' reputation in a hurry. You don't think rival coaches will spread the word about a program that does not honor its commitments.

• Upvote 1

I actually like Casimiro as a recruit. Without getting on my moral high horse, I don't think giving commitments to players and then reneging is a policy that will serve NT well on a long term basis. That will ruin a coach or schools' reputation in a hurry. You don't think rival coaches will spread the word about a program that does not honor its commitments.

If we are having problems with having to take back offers because "better recruits" want to sign with us I'm OK with that. Top teams do this. Junior commits early then has a bad senior year so school removes offer.

• Upvote 1

No you're right, but on the same token if a coach tells a player that he must play at a certain level to maintain the scholarship, that is a little more fair. I'd rather wait until the player produces the way you want before you offer but that may not be Benford's style.

• Upvote 1

The video is somewhat misleading as Wesley rarely plays down low. He is a true SF that is very active and moves extremely well without the ball. His game is attacking the boards (both ends of the court) for rebounds, put back jams and alley oops. Wesley plays with 6-9 Julius Randle on his AAU team. Randle is currently ranked the number 1 player in the nation (class of 2013) and plays exclusively down low . Wesley will play with muscular 6-7 Kimani Jackson (transfer from Plano West by way of Michigan) this fall at Sequin.

I don't expect Wesley to start over Anthony Norris or Jordan Williams but there will not be a drop off coming off the bench. My concern is team chemistry. I don't see our big guys being able to run with the other guys. I think it is imperative that Benford sign a lights out shooter at the 2 position; with the final scholarship. Someone a little more athletic than Overlander. Otherwise, zone defenses will kill this team.

Some game action of Wesley and Texas Titans. (You may have to fast forward a bit)

http://www.ihigh.com/peachjam/broadcast_233574.html?silverlight=1