Thompson Poised In Scrimmage

MeanGreen61

"And Thompson must have been eager to make up for the time-change inconvenience. The Glen Rose, Texas native completed his first three passes, and was 13-of-24 for 202 yards and three touchdowns in the scrimmage. Most importantly, Thompson managed to not throw a pick against a stingy defense"

http://www.meangreen...TCLID=205579422

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1

I am beginning to wonder if the goofy decision by Todd Dodge to waste an entire year of Thompson's eligibility on a single series that year will come back to haunt us. We will know more by mid-season, but this young man is looking pretty impressive both on and off the field.

• Upvote 1

I am beginning to wonder if the goofy decision by Todd Dodge to waste an entire year of Thompson's eligibility on a single series that year will come back to haunt us. We will know more by mid-season, but this young man is looking pretty impressive both on and off the field.

Dodge sacrificed one year of Thompson's career in a selfish attempt to save his career (even though he wasn't fired at year's end, as he should have been. For this decision alone).

The singular worst personnel decision I have ever seen made by a college (use that term loosely) football coach.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Dodge sacrificed one year of Thompson's career in a selfish attempt to save his career (even though he wasn't fired at year's end, as he should have been. For this decision alone).

The singular worst personnel decision I have ever seen made by a college (use that term loosely) football coach.

I was not involved at all in UNT at that time, but isn't Thompson a redshirt junior this year? I'm confused at how he could have a different year of eligibility plus his redshirt year? Someone explain.

I was not involved at all in UNT at that time, but isn't Thompson a redshirt junior this year? I'm confused at how he could have a different year of eligibility plus his redshirt year? Someone explain.

I see he is listed as a RS, but I don't think that he is. He played in 1 game in 09', 3 games in 10', and then last season.

I see he is listed as a RS, but I don't think that he is. He played in 1 game in 09', 3 games in 10', and then last season.

Well then this would have to be his last season in that case, so he must have been granted a Redshirt status for '09 anyways, because he has 2 years left of eligibility.

I believe that his redshirt was due to injury in 2nd year. Dodge's decision turned out to have no real impact on his eligibility.

I am certain that you are correct, although I couldn't find anything online to confirm it. However, by clicking the link in the OP, one can read the just graduated Thompson referring to the prospect of attending graduate school with "2 years of eligibility". I'll take his word for that, since I'll consider someone who graduated in 3 years to be smarter than me.

That would make sense. Glad that Dodge didn't screw us big time with that stupid move, though it's funny how an injury actually helped him and the team in the long run.

Oh man. I remember listening to that game and texting you in utter disbelief. Things are so, so much better these days.

That would make sense. Glad that Dodge didn't screw us big time with that stupid move, though it's funny how an injury actually helped him and the team in the long run.

That may still be subject to debate, since it's actually possible to get a "regular" redshirt year plus a medical hardship "waiver" (as I recall they are not officially called a "medical redshirt). However, I doubt that anyone from UNT has ever gotten those 6 years (as Case Keenum did at UH), and the whole granting of medical hardships is as mystifying as anything the NCAA has going on. I have heard that if someone has already had a redshirt year, the granting of a medical hardship is less likely (and is not guaranteed, under any interpretation).

However, if Thompson puts up Keenum like numbers over the next two years, I'm not going to complain about how he got to that point. If others do complain, I would find the debate more interesting than whether or not fall practices are closed.

Edited by eulessismore

That may still be subject to debate, since it's actually possible to get a "regular" redshirt year plus a medical hardship "waiver" (as I recall they are not officially called a "medical redshirt). However, I doubt that anyone from UNT has ever gotten those 6 years (as Case Keenum did at UH), and the whole granting of medical hardships is as mystifying as anything the NCAA has going on. I have heard that if someone has already had a redshirt year, the granting of a medical hardship is less likely (and is not guaranteed, under any interpretation).

However, if Thompson puts up Keenum like numbers in one of the next two years, I'm not going to complain about how he got to that point.

Yeah I had taken that into consideration, but as you said it's rare and mystifying. I can only recall 2 off the top of my head (Keenum, and some receiver from UT whose name escapes me), and I think it's pretty clear why those 2 got it. One went to UT, and the other was going to break records. Publicity and money, cash and fame, recognition and wealth.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I had taken that into consideration, but as you said it's rare and mystifying. I can only recall 2 off the top of my head (Keenum, and some receiver from UT whose name escapes me), and I think it's pretty clear why those 2 got it. One went to UT, and the other was going to break records. Publicity and money, cash and fame, recognition and wealth.

+1; I believe you're getting it.

I believe that his redshirt was due to injury in 2nd year. Dodge's decision turned out to have no real impact on his eligibility.

Yes, but Dodge had no way of seeing into the future when he lost his friggin mind against Ark St.

And, couldn't DT have applied to play till he was thirty (6 years with the extra year medical redshift year on top of his regular redshift year, a la Houston's 30 year old QB)?

I believe he would have been able to do this if not for two series in a game that did not matter his true freshman year.

Lets just hope DT doesn't have too much of a break out year.

Now that he has graduated, he could transfer and be immediately eligible anywhere.

I'd hate for him mangrum us.

Edit: don't blow a gasket. Just jokin

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yes, but Dodge had no way of seeing into the future when he lost his friggin mind against Ark St.

And, couldn't DT have applied to play till he was thirty (6 years with the extra year medical redshift year on top of his regular redshift year, a la Houston's 30 year old QB)?

I believe he would have been able to do this if not for two series in a game that did not matter his true freshman year.

You are correct about the possibilities, but I think it will require Thompson playing out his college career before it can be known as to whether those are "real" possibilities.

Here's some discussion by some Boston College fans (hey, they have big time lawyers among their alumni, I believe). It "might" illuminate the discussion:

http://atleagle.blog...anyi-momah.html

Believe me, there's some pretty outrageous stuff out there, if anyone wants to shift the question off Dodge and to the NCAA (medical hardship for alcohol addiction?). Kind of interesting but mysterious stuff, with significant rules changes in recent years.

Oh, and we should pray every night for a healthy and productive Derek Thompson for the next couple of years. He's our best hope for a winning season anytime soon.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1