Basketball APR

KoldBeer

Men's Basketball University of North Texas TX 2004 - 2005 959 Men's Basketball University of North Texas TX 2005 - 2006 946 Men's Basketball University of North Texas TX 2006 - 2007 924 Immediate Penalty - Scholarship Reduction = 1 Men's Basketball University of North Texas TX 2007 - 2008 923 Men's Basketball University of North Texas TX 2008 - 2009 926 Men's Basketball University of North Texas TX 2009 - 2010 946 Men's Basketball University of North Texas TX 2010 - 2011 964

http://web1.ncaa.org/maps/aprRelease.jsp

• Upvote 2

Men's Basketball University of North Texas TX 2004 - 2005 959 Men's Basketball University of North Texas TX 2005 - 2006 946 Men's Basketball University of North Texas TX 2006 - 2007 924 Immediate Penalty - Scholarship Reduction = 1 Men's Basketball University of North Texas TX 2007 - 2008 923 Men's Basketball University of North Texas TX 2008 - 2009 926 Men's Basketball University of North Texas TX 2009 - 2010 946 Men's Basketball University of North Texas TX 2010 - 2011 964

http://web1.ncaa.org.../aprRelease.jsp

Will the recent academic ineligibles hurt these numbers?

• Upvote 1

The CAA conference tournament will only have 7 teams playing in it this year.

12 members in 2011-12, 3 are leaving this year or next (VCU, ODU, and Georgia State) and are being intentionally excluded from the tournament. 2 others are ineligible for the postseason due to APR issues, which usually means being barred from a conference tournament and a shot at an autobid.

I think they're almost at the point of scrapping the whole thing and just drawing a team name out of a hat. Looks like a very good year to be Drexel.

The CAA conference tournament will only have 7 teams playing in it this year.

12 members in 2011-12, 3 are leaving this year or next (VCU, ODU, and Georgia State) and are being intentionally excluded from the tournament. 2 others are ineligible for the postseason due to APR issues, which usually means being barred from a conference tournament and a shot at an autobid.

I think they're almost at the point of scrapping the whole thing and just drawing a team name out of a hat. Looks like a very good year to be Drexel.

I would go batsh*t crazy if the Belt did this to us. That being said , I'm not expecting any favors from the refs come Hot Springs ( not like we ever got any before)

Hoping for UNT vs FIU Final

• Upvote 2

Back to the topic at hand. The latest APR shows a tremendous advancement over previous years. Last year's two failures will lower the APR next year (and for years to come) but as the average is based on a rolling four years it probably won't deprive us of scholarships.

OT: I would be PO'ed if the conference tried to do that to us. North Texas has its best chance to go beyond the first round and being barred from the conference tournament would at the least close one avenue for making the dance.

• Upvote 1

OT: I would be PO'ed if the conference tried to do that to us. North Texas has its best chance to go beyond the first round and being barred from the conference tournament would at the least close one avenue for making the dance.

I would be surprised if this happened. Over half the conference was trying to get a CUSA spot. Are they going to keep us out of the tourney because we succeeded where they didn't?

I guess it could happen, but I would be shocked if it did. I think the way the AD went about changing conferences hasn't left any bad blood with conference mates.

It's not like we were ECU to CUSA's Big East.

If NT was prohibited from participating in the Conference Tournament, expect the fan base to take it out on visiting Sun Belt teams that come to the Pit. I would expect every team to be greeted by huge boos.

Needless to say, it would not be pretty and that would leave a bad taste in many NT fans' mouth on wanting to play a Sun Belt team in any sport for a number of years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Back to the topic at hand. The latest APR shows a tremendous advancement over previous years. Last year's two failures will lower the APR next year (and for years to come) but as the average is based on a rolling four years it probably won't deprive us of scholarships.

My understanding is that last year ineligibles won't hurt NT at all. The APR is based on players leaving the program not their academic status when they are enrolled.

• Upvote 1

My understanding is that last year ineligibles won't hurt NT at all. The APR is based on players leaving the program not their academic status when they are enrolled.

It's actually both, eligibility and retention. Each counts for one of the two 'points' each scholarship player contributes to the APR score.

But, when a guy sticks around, there are apparently some appeals that can be made after the fact for people who lost eligibility but worked their way back to solid academic status. I believe that's part of why we were able to improve the APR situation in football faster than would have been mathematically possible otherwise.

This came up in football back when we were dealing with scholarship penalties. At the time, the APR scores were still so new that you could literally go back and calculate what each individual year's score was by starting from the first year APR report. Then, one of the beat writers (I think it was Adam Sparks?) did a records request where some of the single year scores at almost every school had changed upwards a year or more after the end of that academic period.

I think this is also why we were able to jump back up so quickly in basketball after that one year weirdness with Rich Young's "ineligibility" shortly before his summer graduation.