Tony Benford is a home run hire

bono

Thanks for the info bono!

Just curious, who were some of the teams in attendance?

Frisco Heritage HS

Wilmer-Hutchins HS

Denton HS

Hillcrest HS

Crowley HS

Denton-Guyer HS

Lovejoy HS

Ponder HS

Boswell HS

Pinkston HS

Houston Prospects

Believe 1

Believe 2

Wiley Elite

TX Dream 2014

Texas Blue Chips

Wichita Falls Rider HS

Burleson Centennial

Denton-Guyer 2

Ponder HS 2

Milsap

Liberty Christian

Houston Prospects 2

Argyle HS

Believe 3

TX Hoopsters Elite

Houston Phenoms

Boswell 2

• Upvote 2

Talent at UNT

Tony - former Mizzou

Franklin - former Ok State

Coleman -former Nebraska

PJ - former Mississippi State. a coach yesterday told me that he went head to head with yogi ferrel (indiana) in a game he saw and held his own.

Norris - former Memphis

Williams - high major talent w rivals listed offers to Baylor, Arkansas, Ok St, Kansas St, many more

Jones - high major talent and under ranked. best offers were colorado, new mexico, tcu, smu, uta

Alzee - dont know offers just know he can play

• Upvote 1

Way to early to put Benford in the NT Hall of Fame, but he has been ultra impressive to this point. There is a strong possibility that NT has made a coaching upgrade.

just a personal impression from someome who has no prior ties to UNT.

• Upvote 2

I hate Kool-aid talk and just ignore it or roll my eyes, but when you point out specifics it gets my attention. Its great to hear that he is working on ball control and fouling with Mitchell, instead of just "going through some drills." It means our staff is focused and that working individually with our guys. Great to hear and I'm glad all those schools where there. Hopefully we got those kids some free tickets.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the encouraging post. This jibes with everything else I'm hearing about Coach Benford, the way he conducts practices, and the way he interacts with area coaches. He may indeed be a coaching upgrade, but time will tell. I think we can all be thankful that if JJ was going to leave, he left UNT at the perfect time.

Great stuff from bono. Thanks for taking the time...what you said about Mitchell is EXACTLY what many of the Mean green faithful were commenting on last season...turnovers, fouls and poor footwork. Good to see the emphasis already starting in those areas from Coach B.

I think we are all pretty darn excited about the upcoming BB season...I have a sense that as many or even more GMG.Com folks are pumped about BB as FB this time around.

Pretty exciting indeed!

• Upvote 1

When JJ took the LSU job, I immediately thought "here we go again". I certainly expected us to lost TM, CJ and a few others. Its difficult to not think that way given our overall program history.

However, not only has Benford come and kept things from falling apart, he is adding more "potential" top notch talent to the program. I am even more excited about our potential in the next few years than I was 6 months ago. I know it is early. But, Benford has really impressed all the way around.

Of the 3 programs in the area that just changed coaching staffs, I can't help but feel that we have the best.

Thanks already for all the hard work you put in Coach Benford.

• Upvote 3

When JJ took the LSU job, I immediately thought "here we go again". I certainly expected us to lost TM, CJ and a few others. Its difficult to not think that way given our overall program history.

However, not only has Benford come and kept things from falling apart, he is adding more "potential" top notch talent to the program. I am even more excited about our potential in the next few years than I was 6 months ago. I know it is early. But, Benford has really impressed all the way around.

Of the 3 programs in the area that just changed coaching staffs, I can't help but feel that we have the best.

Thanks already for all the hard work you put in Coach Benford.

I think the same thing could be siad about when Coach Aston departed so quickly...I know, i know...hwer dream job, but still.....looks to me like Coach Petersen is a "keeper" as well if the early returns are any incication. To me, it looks like UNT hasd a fine new set of BB head coaches. Pretty darn excited about the season to come...both men's and women's BB.

• Upvote 3

I think the same thing could be siad about when Coach Aston departed so quickly...I know, i know...hwer dream job, but still.....looks to me like Coach Petersen is a "keeper" as well if the early returns are any incication. To me, it looks like UNT hasd a fine new set of BB head coaches. Pretty darn excited about the season to come...both men's and women's BB.

Are you even allowed to mention women's basketball?? ;)

• Upvote 3

I'll believe he's a keeper when we open the season with North Carolina AT THE SUPER PIT. After ten plus years of JJ obviously refusing to return their phone calls, I think we should have a top 25 home slate.

We used to play Depaul and Cincinnati dammit!!!! Mark Aguire came to Denton in 1952!!!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

None of the posters have mentioned Bart Lundy. From what I read on his bio it indicates that he has had great success and from what I hear from friends in Milwaukee what he did at Marquette was pretty good.dare good . Lundy has more wins as a head coach than anyone on staff and has been to the NCAA tourney, on one level or another, 7 times.

• Upvote 1