My Benson/La. Tech Conspiracy Theory

El Paso Eagle

I think Benson has no love lost for La. Tech. He has been trying to keep the WAC together and it didn’t help that La. Tech never offered support. Come to think of it, back in the days of stability there was always talk that he wanted La. Tech out since they didn’t fit the geographic footprint of the conference and they forced a lot of schools to spend travel money.

They reject the offer –

I think (OK, honestly hope) KB knows they will not get into the Alliance. If they reject the invite, their off the list and will not get another invite. The WAC dies and La. Tech is left without a Sun Belt option – they try to go Independent (failure) or they have to come asking KB to help them. KB’s desired option.

They accept –

He gets the satisfaction of being able to know he has them where they never wanted to be.

They accept, then get an Alliance invite –

He gets a payout from La. Tech (ex. – smaller scale TCU/Big East)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think Benson has no love lost for La. Tech. He has been trying to keep the WAC together and it didn’t help that La. Tech never offered support. Come to think of it, back in the days of stability there was always talk that he wanted La. Tech out since they didn’t fit the geographic footprint of the conference and they forced a lot of schools to spend travel money.

They reject the offer –

I think (OK, honestly hope) KB knows they will not get into the Alliance. If they reject the invite, their off the list and will not get another invite. The WAC dies and La. Tech is left without a Sun Belt option – they try to go Independent (failure) or they have to come asking KB to help them. KB’s desired option.

They accept –

He gets the satisfaction of being able to know he has them where they never wanted to be.

They accept, then get an Alliance invite –

He gets a payout from La. Tech (ex. – smaller scale TCU/Big East)

This is all under the assumption that they don't go the Alliance. But I agree with these options if they don't get into the alliance.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for UTSA and TSSM and leaves out LATech because I'm sure the Texas Schools voted to extend Benson's contract, if they had a vote. I could see him lifting the middle finger to those who voted against him. I don't see any other elaborate plan.

I'm thinking Tech is in a tough spot. If they refused to join the Sun Belt and the expansion went with UTSA and TState it would really hurt Tech in terms of their standing against ULL and Monroe especially in recruiting. Tech would either be in a soon to be defunct conference (whose commissioner left for the Belt) or independent and we of all people know how difficult that can be.

If I'm Waters, I really want to ask Thompson and Banowsky for a heads up on who they are seriously considering for the alliance so I can plan accordingly.

For all their arrogance, I do admire Tech and what they have been able to accomplish for all these years with very limited resources. They would make a fine addition to the Belt and I hope they will be able to swallow their pride and accept that.

If I'm Waters, I really want to ask Thompson and Banowsky for a heads up on who they are seriously considering for the alliance so I can plan accordingly.

Harry - this is why I wonder if KB knows something already.I know this thing (realignment) has become somewhat of a monster, but you would think, at least hope that the commissioners would extend professional courtesies towards each other, or at the least pass on to each other “what-if”/”hypothetically speaking” courtesies. At the end of the day, these men will have many opportunities to cross paths.

• Upvote 1