Where we stand academically

GreenFlag

Here is where we stand. Please excuse the abbreviations but I think you can figure it out. This is ranked from highest to lowest by adding the composite ACT scores from the 25% and the 75% and then dividing by 2. This is a "snapshop" of the student bodies attending these schools.

I starting looking at thses scores when my daughter took her PSAT. I chose ACT instead of SAT because it was easier.

UNT is tied for 14th on this list of 55. It is what it is.

Rice 32 CUSA

AFA 30.5 MWC

Tulane 29.5 CUSA

Tulsa 28 CUSA

SMU 27.5 Big East

Denver 26.5 Sun Belt

Miami 26 MAC

TCU 26 Big 12

Buffalo 25 MAC

UCF 25 Big East

CSU 24.5 MWC

UAB 24 CUSA

Wyom 24 MWC

FIU 23.5 Sun Belt

UNT 23.5 Sun Belt

Ohio U 23.5 MAC

Temple 23.5 MAC

Utah St 23.5 WAC

Hawaii 23 MWC

Idaho 23 WAC

La Tech 23 WAC

Tex St 23 WAC

Nevada 22.5 MWC

W. Mich 22.5 MAC

C. Mich 22 MAC

Marsh 22 CUSA

Memphis 22 Big East

N Mex 22 MWC

SDSU 22 Big East

ULL 22 Sun Belt

Boise 21.5 Big East

Bowl Gr 21.5 MAC

FAU 21.5 Sun Belt

Houston 21.5 Big East

Kent St 21.5 MAC

MUTS 21.5 Sun Belt

N. Ill. 21.5 MAC

S. Ala 21.5 Sun Belt

S. Miss 21.5 CUSA

Toledo 21.5 MAC

UNLV 21.5 MWC

UTSA 21.5 WAC

Akron 21 MAC

Ark St. 21 Sun Belt

Ball 21 MAC

ECU 21 CUSA

E.Mich 21 MAC

NMSU 21 WAC

ULM 21 Sun Belt

WKU 21 Sun Belt

SJSU 20.5 WAC

UALR 20.5 Sun Belt

Troy 19.5 Sun Belt

Fresno 19 MWC

UTEP 18.5 CUSA

• Upvote 1

It doesn't quite as good when using SAT. Following is the median SAT score for incoming freshmen at SBC, MWC, and CUSA schools:

Rice 1425

Tulane 1315

Air Force 1295

Tulsa 1265

UAB 1180 Estimated as ACT equivalent

Colorado State 1135

FIU 1135

Wyoming 1095

New Mexico 1090

North Texas 1080

Florida Atlantic 1070

Nevada 1045

East Carolina 1035

Middle Tennessee 1035

Arkansas State 1030

UNLV 1025

San Jose State 1010

Marshall 1005

Western Kentucky 995

Southern Miss 990

ULM 960

Louisiana 955 Estimated based on ACT

Memphis 950 Estimated based on ACT

Fresno State 940

UTEP 920

Troy 920 Estimated based on ACT

The source for these figures is collegesearch.com. Of the six departing members (for the Big East) we beat only Boise State and Memphis and are tied with Houston. When compared with all the FBS we rank tied for 88th.

It doesn't quite as good when using SAT. Following is the median SAT score for incoming freshmen at SBC, MWC, and CUSA schools:

Rice 1425

Tulane 1315

Air Force 1295

Tulsa 1265

UAB 1180 Estimated as ACT equivalent

Colorado State 1135

FIU 1135

Wyoming 1095

New Mexico 1090

North Texas 1080

Florida Atlantic 1070

Nevada 1045

East Carolina 1035

Middle Tennessee 1035

Arkansas State 1030

UNLV 1025

San Jose State 1010

Marshall 1005

Western Kentucky 995

Southern Miss 990

ULM 960

Louisiana 955 Estimated based on ACT

Memphis 950 Estimated based on ACT

Fresno State 940

UTEP 920

Troy 920 Estimated based on ACT

The source for these figures is collegesearch.com. Of the six departing members (for the Big East) we beat only Boise State and Memphis and are tied with Houston. When compared with all the FBS we rank tied for 88th.

I went to collegesearch.com and it was an advertising ass whipping. I couldn't get any info.

Maybe you meant collegesearch.collegeboard.com? Collegeboard.com is a non-profit where you can find college search. That is where I got my info. The one that didn't fit was FIU, I checked and I did make a mistake. Their avg ACT should have been 25.5 - pretty damn stout. They have us 10 whopping points higher than Houston and New Mexico considerably lower.

I went to collegesearch.com and it was an advertising ass whipping. I couldn't get any info.

Maybe you meant collegesearch.collegeboard.com? Collegeboard.com is a non-profit where you can find college search. That is where I got my info. The one that didn't fit was FIU, I checked and I did make a mistake. Their avg ACT should have been 25.5 - pretty damn stout. They have us 10 whopping points higher than Houston and New Mexico considerably lower.

My bad! It is collegesearch.collegeboard.com.

I know some people don't like the whole idea of university rankings but it is better to use the US News rankings than just one criterion. It looks at a variety of factors.

Yes, but they weigh each factor differently. It would work against us because alumni giving has what seems to be a much heavier factor. The second heaviest is what others think of you. No one but our students like us so that hurts us as well.

Entrance exams only tell you the caliber of student that you are getting; not how well they are taught.

Yes, but they weigh each factor differently. It would work against us because alumni giving has what seems to be a much heavier factor. The second heaviest is what others think of you. No one but our students like us so that hurts us as well.

Entrance exams only tell you the caliber of student that you are getting; not how well they are taught.

No worries guys, we have 4 bold new goals.

• Upvote 1

And...in the announcement Monday about the new five year plan for UNT, President Rawlins stressed that UNT would be raising it's entrance standards. Good news.

This is good news, especially for those of us that have already come and gone - some of us, me included, may not have been able to enter our beloved aw-gust institution if higher "entrance standards" had been in affect back in those long-ago days.

:rolleyes:

Edited by tylermeangreen
  • Upvote 1