UNT Shoots for ambitious Goals

Harry

The University of North Texas put on a production, underscored by its symphony orchestra, to unveil a new five-year strategic plan and image Monday.

“A Green Light to Greatness” is UNT’s new tagline, which was established along with a new look for the logo with the help of Sullivan Perkins, a firm hired over the summer under a one-year, $140,000 contract. The previous tagline was “Discover the Power of Ideas.”

Monday’s presentation, called “Four Bold Goals, One Great University” outlined the four goals of UNT’s new strategic plan, which include providing the best undergraduate educational experience in Texas, becoming a tier-one research institution, running an effective business and expanding its outreach to the community and the North Texas region.

“These goals are the framework for our strategic plan,” President Lane Rawlins said to the crowd of almost 1,200 who attended the proceedings. “Taken as a whole, they describe a great living university, a green giant. Not just a great university in North Texas but a great University of North Texas.”

A great university, Rawlins said, must have undergraduate students at the center of it.

The first goal will be measured by increasing incoming freshman SAT scores, financial aid, and retention and graduation rates.

The second goal to become a tier-one research university will be measured by adding 50 senior research faculty members in five years, doubling federally reported research expenditures, raising entrance standards for graduate students, and increasing research and creative space by 40 percent by 2016, according to the strategic plan.

“UNT will be a welcoming university, not only for students but all who work here,” said Lilyan Prado-Carrillo, assistant director of financial aid, during the event.

A business needs to be effective and it needs to take care of its customers, Rawlins said. That’s what the third goal was established to accomplish.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/localnews/stories/DRC_UNT-Branding_0214.47569324a.html

I agree with this in the comment section.

The University of Texas and Texas A&M are both Tier One research universities. Spending at each university on research is in excess of $700 million per year. The Carnegie Foundation recently ranked UH as a Tier One school.

If UNT is serious, it is time to put their money where their mouth is. A new logo, slogan, whatever doesn't cut it.

And of course, I agree with Scrappy as well.

photo-2121462.jpg?ts=1329109322

"Take your squirell and go back to Dallas!"

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The University of North Texas put on a production, underscored by its symphony orchestra, to unveil a new five-year strategic plan and image Monday.

“A Green Light to Greatness” is UNT’s new tagline, which was established along with a new look for the logo with the help of Sullivan Perkins, a firm hired over the summer under a one-year, $140,000 contract. The previous tagline was “Discover the Power of Ideas.”

Monday’s presentation, called “Four Bold Goals, One Great University” outlined the four goals of UNT’s new strategic plan, which include providing the best undergraduate educational experience in Texas, becoming a tier-one research institution, running an effective business and expanding its outreach to the community and the North Texas region.

“These goals are the framework for our strategic plan,” President Lane Rawlins said to the crowd of almost 1,200 who attended the proceedings. “Taken as a whole, they describe a great living university, a green giant. Not just a great university in North Texas but a great University of North Texas.”

A great university, Rawlins said, must have undergraduate students at the center of it.

The first goal will be measured by increasing incoming freshman SAT scores, financial aid, and retention and graduation rates.

The second goal to become a tier-one research university will be measured by adding 50 senior research faculty members in five years, doubling federally reported research expenditures, raising entrance standards for graduate students, and increasing research and creative space by 40 percent by 2016, according to the strategic plan.

“UNT will be a welcoming university, not only for students but all who work here,” said Lilyan Prado-Carrillo, assistant director of financial aid, during the event.

A business needs to be effective and it needs to take care of its customers, Rawlins said. That’s what the third goal was established to accomplish.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/localnews/stories/DRC_UNT-Branding_0214.47569324a.html

UNT Athletics wasn't mentioned one time in that article...not once. You all trying to understand why MWCUSA hasn't sought us out as the easiest expanion pick for their league, for those of you asking why you haven't heard a word from our leadership regarding seeking a step up in class, athletically, need to look no further than this. The university's main goals didn't clarify one thing about athletics. That is how you get to stay in the SBC--and as UNT90 has pointed out, probably means that the FCS level for football probably won't be avoided when the next shakeup occurs. The current Big 5 AQ leagues and some leftovers from the Big East and the MWCUSA leagues will have a place at the FBS-AQ table. The rest of us probably won't.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UNT Athletics wasn't mentioned one time in that article...not once. You all trying to understand why MWCUSA hasn't sought us out as the easiest expanion pick for their league, for those of you asking why you haven't heard a word from our leadership regarding seeking a step up in class, athletically, need to look no further than this. The university's main goals didn't clarify one thing about athletics. That is how you get to stay in the SBC--and as UNT90 has pointed out, probably means that the FCS level for football probably won't be avoided when the next shakeup occurs. The current Big 5 AQ leagues and some leftovers from the Big East and the MWCUSA leagues will have a place at the FBS-AQ table. The rest of us probably won't.

just for the record that whole speech didnt clarify one thing about... anything... it was a big to-do about nothing... i was really dissapointed with UNT... the best part was watching the orchestra

• Upvote 2

Had you been as fortunate as I was to actually attend the event yesterday, you would have heard Lane Rawlins mention athletics on more than one occasion and would have seen athletics proudly displayed in the video presentations. I agree, you need to look no further than what I head from the President's own mouth yesterday in both the reception prior to the event and in the main event itself. Sometimes, believe it or not, a newspaper article does not contain 100% of the details of an event. It was a great day in the life of UNT and could well go down as one of the positive defining moments in its long and proud history to date. I felt both honored and privileged to have been able to attend this event and presentation. It was handled very professionally and included presentations from some of our student leaders as well as administrative leadership.

It was important enough on a day when RV had some serious personnel and medical issues to deal with in the news of Coach mac that he was in attendance for both the reception prior to the event and for the event itself. This WAS a big day for UNT, and one that should help guide UNT forward for many years to come.

• Upvote 2

Had you been as fortunate as I was to actually attend the event yesterday, you would have heard Lane Rawlins mention athletics on more than one occasion and would have seen athletics proudly displayed in the video presentations. I agree, you need to look no further than what I head from the President's own mouth yesterday in both the reception prior to the event and in the main event itself. Sometimes, believe it or not, a newspaper article does not contain 100% of the details of an event. It was a great day in the life of UNT and could well go down as one of the positive defining moments in its long and proud history to date. I felt both honored and privileged to have been able to attend this event and presentation. It was handled very professionally and included presentations from some of our student leaders as well as administrative leadership.

It was important enough on a day when RV had some serious personnel and medical issues to deal with in the news of Coach mac that he was in attendance for both the reception prior to the event and for the event itself. This WAS a big day for UNT, and one that should help guide UNT forward for many years to come.

Kram is right about the frequent mention of athletics and the appearance of athletics in the accompanying video presentation.

This was also a very professional presentation utilizing good showmanship. Lively did a heck of a job.

• Upvote 1

Kram is right about the frequent mention of athletics and the appearance of athletics in the accompanying video presentation.

This was also a very professional presentation utilizing good showmanship. Lively did a heck of a job.

Good showmanship? Hey! How about putting Lively in charge of the Green Brigade this fall........ :rolleyes: ........... B)

This WAS a big day for UNT, and one that should help guide UNT forward for many years to come.

Look I commend the effort I guess but you can't possibly tell me this is groundbreaking stuff. I mean the 4 key points is something obvious man would pull out of his hat. It looked as if they weren't trying to address those 4 points before. I don't believe this was a "big day" because there was nothing groundbreaking here.