Sunbelt Action (12/19/11)

CMJ

In a perfect world, Denver loses 1-3 more games this season. All of them come against us, with the final one ideally in the SBC finals if the bracket layout will allow it.

If that can't happen, then I hope Middle Tennessee wins every game on their schedule (starting with Mississippi on Wednesday), but loses to us in the regular season and the SBC finals.

The best thing that could happen for the Belt would be 13-14 conference wins apiece for those two schools.

In a perfect world, Denver loses 1-3 more games this season. All of them come against us, with the final one ideally in the SBC finals if the bracket layout will allow it.

If that can't happen, then I hope Middle Tennessee wins every game on their schedule (starting with Mississippi on Wednesday), but loses to us in the regular season and the SBC finals.

The best thing that could happen for the Belt would be 13-14 conference wins apiece for those two schools.

I can't really understand what you're saying because there's not enough hip-hop.

I can't really understand what you're saying because there's not enough hip-hop.

Here's Sun Belt Basketball postseason utopia in a nutshell. If you could guarantee me this scenario, I'd even take the regular season losses and the 15 seed to see it happen.

Middle Tennessee wins out on the regular season. 12-2 in OOC (including a post-New Year win vs. Vanderbilt), 16-0 in the SBC. 28-2 overall, NIT autobid as the regular season champion.

Denver wins out on OOC (Wyoming, Citadel, and Colorado State), loses one SBC game to Middle Tennessee (the only way it could be better would be if the game were at MTSU). 11-2 in OOC, 26-3 overall.

We win out on the year other than regular season losses to MTSU and Denver. OOC record of 8-5, 21-8 overall.

Middle gets the 1 seed, Denver gets the 2, we get the 3.

Denver makes it through round one, loses to us in 3 or 4 overtimes in the semifinals. Final record, 27-4, RPI somewhere in the mid to high 30s.

MTSU makes it to the finals, loses to us. Final record of 30-3, RPI somewhere in the high 50s.

We win the tournament, final record of 24-8, RPI would probably be somewhere in the 85-95 range. Automatic NCAA tournament berth.

In my imaginary world, there are no upsets in the mid and low major conference tournaments. Other than us, the regular season/RPI champion wins every single one.

Middle and Denver would both have amazing mid-major credentials for a potential at-large bid. Denver could conceivably have wins over 5 NCAA tournament teams (St. Mary's, Utah State, Southern Miss, us, and Texas Southern). Middle would have 30 wins. Either one could get an at large bid. Even in my imagination, it wouldn't be both.

Denver could get a 12 or 13 seed, we would be a 15, Middle would have a very good seed in the NIT... It'd be a bonanza for our league's reputation and coffers.

I'm bored at work.

Here's Sun Belt Basketball postseason utopia in a nutshell. If you could guarantee me this scenario, I'd even take the regular season losses and the 15 seed to see it happen.

Middle Tennessee wins out on the regular season. 12-2 in OOC (including a post-New Year win vs. Vanderbilt), 16-0 in the SBC. 28-2 overall, NIT autobid as the regular season champion.

Denver wins out on OOC (Wyoming, Citadel, and Colorado State), loses one SBC game to Middle Tennessee (the only way it could be better would be if the game were at MTSU). 11-2 in OOC, 26-3 overall.

We win out on the year other than regular season losses to MTSU and Denver. OOC record of 8-5, 21-8 overall.

Denver makes it through round one, loses to us in 3 or 4 overtimes in the semifinals. Final record, 27-4, RPI somewhere in the mid to high 30s.

MTSU makes it to the finals, loses to us. Final record of 30-3, RPI somewhere in the high 50s.

We win the tournament, final record of 24-8, RPI would probably be somewhere in the 85-95 range. Automatic NCAA tournament berth.

In my imaginary world, there are no upsets in the mid and low major conference tournaments. Other than us, the regular season/RPI champion wins every single one.

Middle and Denver would both have amazing mid-major credentials for a potential at-large bid. Denver could conceivably have wins over 5 NCAA tournament teams (St. Mary's, Utah State, Southern Miss, us, and Texas Southern). Middle would have 30 wins. Either one could get an at large bid. Even in my imagination, it wouldn't be both.

Denver could get a 12 or 13 seed, we would be a 15, Middle would have a very good seed in the NIT... It'd be a bonanza for our league's reputation and coffers.

I'm bored at work.

Thanks for all your effort on this, but if it's just the same, I'd have UNT win all of their remaining games, sweep the conference tournament, and take our chances with the seeding.

It's nice for the conference to do well and all, but when it comes down to it, I could give a rat's ass how they do if we can go undefeated through conference and conference tournament play (remember, we are dealing with hypotheticals here).

As for the rest of the conference, F em.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I'm bored at work.

Well while I applaud Denver for their good run and jacking up this years respect and RPI for the conference.... as far as I know they will leave the Belt next year for the WAC, and I sure want UNT and the blue raiders and even USA to demolish them as often as they play them this season. It is not a lot of use if they are good and then next season every commentator will say that we lost the best team to -of all possibilities- the WAC.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all your effort on this, but if it's just the same, I'd have UNT win all of their remaining games, sweep the conference tournament, and take our chances with the seeding.

It's nice for the conference to do well and all, but when it comes down to it, I could give a rat's ass how they do if we can go undefeated through conference and conference tournament play (remember, we are dealing with hypotheticals here).

As for the rest of the conference, F em.

I don't know who -1'd you, but I put a positive one back on the ledger.

I definitely disagree... But it's probably grounds for a dedicated thread. CBL has a nice analogy that usually ropes in the WCC vs. the OVC. Given that we're not the RPI standard bearer this year, seems timely to talk about it again.

HBBIQ subject matter, coming soon!