From The Vaults: When North Texas Beat The Texas Longhorns!

PlummMeanGreen

Arkansas State in 2007, nobody in 2009. We lost to WKU in the semis that year (f'ing A.J. Slaughter and his only 3 pointers of the game...). But, in 2010, we did win the tournament against Troy. Good, good times.

Fun fact: If that fundamentally sloppy (TYPICAL CORKY NELSON, not that anyone can ever criticize Saint Corky) 1988 team could play defense, we wouldn't have lost that game. I blame the loss on their inability to lock down and sloppy coaching. Furthermore, that one gutwrenching last-minute loss turned the rest of the season into a retroactive failure. Sure, the 88 team might have APPEARED to have two huge OOC wins against power conference teams, but they lost dumb games against conference opponents and they couldn't close out that Texas game. Therefore, the whole year was a failure and I resent them. And don't anyone try to give me any bullcrap about injuries. Defense, defense, defense. If that 88 team could just play defense, they'd not only have held on against Texas, but they could have shut down Marshall in the postseason. Maybe the playoff game would be tied at 0-0, still going on 23 years later.

I think it's obvious that 1988 team sucked, and any of their "accomplishments" that you folks might have enjoyed or remember happily today were pathetic and meaningless because of the losses in other games. Anyone who liked them, supported them, or remembered them fondly is a moron and ought to be ashamed of themselves.

And if anyone (or everyone) here on the football forum disagrees, then they're wrong and I'm offended that they aren't more respectful of my carefully considered, politely presented opinion.

Sorry, I should have added any regular, normal fan that doesn't know every single stat about not only UNT basketball, but Sun Belt basketball.

As far as the 2009 reference, well, I guess me and Corky have a few things in common :unsure:

And it would have changed nothing because the administration, at that time, was not willing to do what it took to elevate the football program.

Al Hurley was university president back then, and he was still in charge when UNT football rejoined I-A (now FBS). So he did some work to elevate the program, though his record was mixed as an athletic supporter.

Arkansas State in 2007, nobody in 2009. We lost to WKU in the semis that year (f'ing A.J. Slaughter and his only 3 pointers of the game...). But, in 2010, we did win the tournament against Troy. Good, good times.

Fun fact: If that fundamentally sloppy (TYPICAL CORKY NELSON, not that anyone can ever criticize Saint Corky) 1988 team could play defense, we wouldn't have lost that game. I blame the loss on their inability to lock down and sloppy coaching. Furthermore, that one gutwrenching last-minute loss turned the rest of the season into a retroactive failure. Sure, the 88 team might have APPEARED to have two huge OOC wins against power conference teams, but they lost dumb games against conference opponents and they couldn't close out that Texas game. Therefore, the whole year was a failure and I resent them. And don't anyone try to give me any bullcrap about injuries. Defense, defense, defense. If that 88 team could just play defense, they'd not only have held on against Texas, but they could have shut down Marshall in the postseason. Maybe the playoff game would be tied at 0-0, still going on 23 years later.

I think it's obvious that 1988 team sucked, and any of their "accomplishments" that you folks might have enjoyed or remember happily today were pathetic and meaningless because of the losses in other games. Anyone who liked them, supported them, or remembered them fondly is a moron and ought to be ashamed of themselves.

And if anyone (or everyone) here on the football forum disagrees, then they're wrong and I'm offended that they aren't more respectful of my carefully considered, politely presented opinion.

Group Hug Song For TTG!:)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=86IRDaru1Sg

PS: As always, I stand to be corrected, but didn't North Texas beat Texas Tech and Rice in that same season we almost beat Texas?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Group Hug Song For TTG!:)

PS: As always, I stand to be corrected, but didn't North Texas beat Texas Tech and Rice in that same season we almost beat Texas?

Any real mean green fan would not have to ask that question. You obviously don't spend enough time here on gomeangreen.com.

Edited by gruu

BOOM ROASTED!