Sun Belt Conference Call To Discuss Realignment Issues

MeanGreen61

I did not notice the lack of conference logo... I guess I was too busy looking at the field through mean green beer goggles... Interesting...

Every school thinks they will be impacted by this realignment... I guess this is just the college version of "what about me".

Have you guys ever thought of FAU being impacted by realignment? I'm sure they think the same thing about us, while we see the "obvious potential" that we have with the new facilities and new coaching staff.

All of this noise is making me hate college sports outside of the Mean Green. Go Mean Green, and f everybody else.

I love tailgating, my new seats, and hope...hope that there are Meaner Green Days Ahead!

• Upvote 1

I'll say what no one is, as far a realignment goes I think we're effed. Hope I am wrong though. I think we'll end up in the new division II. I just don't see any positive movement out of our ad office. But I really have no insight, just a gut feeling.

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 9

I'll say what no one is, as far a realignment goes I think we're effed. Hope I am wrong though. I think we'll end up in the new division II. I just don't see any positive movement out of our ad office. But I really have no insight, just a gut feeling.

One question. Did you see any positive movement out of the AD office considering stadium naming rights?

• Upvote 7

From a Belt board thread. True ? False ? Who knows, but interesting.

State Fanatic (Arkansas State)

I can tell you that the Belt has already sent out invitations and are awaiting a response. Texas State, NMSU and APP are not in that list. Missouri State has already turned us down again because of our poor basketball RPI.

Here is a list of teams Invited

USM (Waiting to see what CUSA looks like after the raid)

La Tech (waiting to see if they get the CUSA invite)

Georgia St (I know most will hate this)

UAB (same as USM)

Tulane (same as UAB)

I ask for info source

What is your source on this info ?

State Fanatic reply

I have talked to someone within the ASU athletic department. Trust me when I say the Belt is taking action to keep the conference alive. Every Belt team is looking at CUSA and waiting to see if UCF and ECU get the Big East invite. WW wants a commitment from all schools that we will stay together.

Thread

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=516444&pid=6859140#pid6859140

State Fanatic reply

I have talked to someone within the ASU athletic department. Trust me when I say the Belt is taking action to keep the conference alive. Every Belt team is looking at CUSA and waiting to see if UCF and ECU get the Big East invite. WW wants a commitment from all schools that we will stay together.

I don't see that as happening unless CUSA gets ripped in half. If, for example, UCF, Memphis, and ECU go to the Big East, and UH and UTEP go to the MWC, we may be able to win a tug of war with the 7 remaining CUSA schools.

If the above scenario did happen, how great would it be to take UAB, Southern Miss, Tulsa, and Tulane, leaving SMU out in the cold? :lol:

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

I wondered if anyone asked why UNT decided not to put up any Sun Belt logos on the field or around Appogee stadium

I am glad we didn't.

Conferences and new schools in those conferences will be changing as much as banks changed their names the last 10 years. Wonder how much left-over stationary those banks have now 3 bank name changes ago? :rolleyes:

The SBC has been nice for North Texas, but I think many would agree that it will not always be our permanent home, either.

OK, it's the 6'th generation Texas swagger coming out by making this statement but: Apogee Stadium is not a Sun Belt Conference stadium even at 31,000 seat capacity. We will one day be in a more regionalized conference w/o having to make 1,000 mile trips to Miami in due time and I think this may be sooner than later. I think new UNT VP Bill Lively (who was an SMU heavy hitter employee for years) will play a huge part in slowly but methodically melting the ice that SMU has had with UNT, but it will not be an overnight thing either, IMHO.

Again, I am glad we didn't put any conference logo at Apogee. Now they may have plans to do so, but I hope not and if so, something that will be easily removed when the time comes. Just sayin' ...

QUESTION: WHO SHOT THAT PHOTO OF THE NORTH TEXAS PLAYER SURROUNDED BY TEAMMATES AS HE POINTS TO THE CROWD? IT IS A PHOTOGRAPH FOR THE AGES AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED. It is the background photo on all my computers now.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

One question. Did you see any positive movement out of the AD office considering stadium naming rights?

Lifer you are correct, maybe I should have said sun belt or even the school prez. I applaud the AD for all of the recent success surrounding the school. But I don't believe naming rights will keep us in the FBS, whatever tgat may be in the future, maybe it will. All I am saying is even if they are trying MY gut says to me, we just don't have the political horses in this race. Any one who knows me knows I bleed green. I love UNT. And support all of it's athletics. I am just fearful that the commitment that has recently been shown by the school to athletics might be too little too late. I really, really hope I am wrong. And if I am, I will be all to glad to say so.

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This isn't really a contribution to this thread but would someone explain to me why there is bad blood between la tech and ulm. It's always referenced in places such as the link in the previous post.

I certainly don't have all the answers; but can help some. Probably one of the biggest things (from a University perspective) is that LaTech is a National University with high research, while ULM is a Master's University, with very little research activity. So academically, there is a big difference. Athletically, Tech has prospered (to a degree) while being Div 1 (FBS) for many years now; whereas ULM only recently moved from D-1AA (FCS). And honestly, ULM may not be FBS today had the SunBelt not needed teams to retain it's FBS (BCS) status as a football league. Tech has a larger enrollment, highter admissions standards, and about twice the athletic budget of ULM. Next, they are just right down the road from each other. And while that might seem like a good way to build a rivalry, it just wants the Tech folk to seek "separation" all the more.

And honestly, it's not all that different WRT the Cajuns and ULM. We don't have the same geographic problem that Tech has; but academically we are pretty much the same at Tech; but with higher research activity (while Tech has some other advantages to us). But, still very comparable. I think the Cajuns' biggest beef with ULM is the name issue; but I REALLY don't want to get into that over here! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

OK, it's the 6'th generation Texas swagger coming out by making this statement but: Apogee Stadium is not a Sun Belt Conference stadium even at 31,000 seat capacity.

OK PMG. What do you consider to be the "average" SunBelt stadium? I won't argue that the new NT stadium is at the top right now; but many belt schools are improving facilities. Obviously FAU with it's new stadium. WKY made nice upgrades recently, and others have "plans" to improve as well.

BTW, hope to make it up to Denton next year for the Cajuns game with you guys.

Shof

OK PMG. What do you consider to be the "average" SunBelt stadium? I won't argue that the new NT stadium is at the top right now; but many belt schools are improving facilities. Obviously FAU with it's new stadium. WKY made nice upgrades recently, and others have "plans" to improve as well.

BTW, hope to make it up to Denton next year for the Cajuns game with you guys.

Shof

That "new" FIU Stadium is a joke, a bad bad bad one at that. Iv seen run-down inner city middle school locker rooms look better then FIU's visiting locker room. The design & facilities at the stadiums terrible.

Our radio broadcast team was set up under a pop up tent during a lightning storm for heaven sake.

FIU other facilities are on par though

The basketball crowd is embarrassing for Isiah Thomas though.

WKU has the smallest FBS stadium in the nation and have nothing going for them besides basketball to be honest.

ULM NEEDS to go back to FCS, please NOW

Louisiana(Lafayette) are on par as far as facilities, REALLY good fan base

Troy is improving their facilities and have the records to back it up.

FAU has new facilities but coaching change is coming at the end of season for football. Possible resurrection of Mike Leach be thrown around.

MTSU has some good facilities as well.

ASU is falling behind but nobody seems to notice since its Jonesborro(sp).

North Texas has set the bar. Appogee, duh. Mean Green Village and plans now set on Baseball, Indoor Practice facility(Football,Basketball, Golf, etc) New T&F stadium, upgrades to The Superpit

This is just my personal opinion of the top of my head.

Edited by LakeTravis
  • Upvote 1