Next two games

Tulsa lost G.J. Kinne with a knee injury in the first quarter of their trashing by Oklahoma State. They have nothing, really, without him and Damaris Johnson. They were down 45-6 before they began to score againt some of Okie State's second/third teamers.

Indiana struggled to put South Carolina State away. SC State twice pulled to within 10 in the second half, and rolled up 19 first downs and had a 100 yard receiver, rushed for 161 at a 4.2 per carry clip.

----

Both the Tulsa and Indiana defenses can be gashed. Neither are stellar versus the run or pass. Tulsa will be devastated if Kinne is out for any extended time. As it is, they will be thrashed again next weekend at Boise State; so, they may be even more damaged when they face us.

The toughest part of our slate is now behind us. If we aren't at least within 10 points of either of these next two opponents, the season is going to be tougher sledding than we most pessimistic among us could have believed.

Indiana and Tulsa aren't good football teams right now. Tulsa has had a hell of a schedule to face. But, Indiana? Ball State, Virginia, and South Carolina State ain't murderers row. They limp away from those three dogs 1-2.

If we can get some blocking for Dunbar, we can control these games. It sound crazy right now at 4:32 a.m. on a Sunday after losing another game. But, we've lost to possibly our league champ, possibly C-USA's league champ, and possibly the SEC national champ. Indiana and Tulsa will struggle to make bowl games this year.

These are the opportunity games. This is where we see whether what we're paying for is having an impact early in the season.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3

If we can get some blocking for Dunbar, we can control these games. It sound crazy right now at 4:32 a.m. on a Sunday after losing another game.

Well, first of all, ROLL TIDE, they never disappoint and being at the game was even better. But as I head back to Texas to finish the year rooting for my adopted team, I would just like to say WHAT? If you were at the game or watching the game, you had to see Dunbar lay down several times. He seemed to be getting his groove back toward the end but I don't think last night's problem was blocking for Dunbar. I realize it has to be blamed on something besides Dunbar and you can look at the Bama defense or you can blame it on North Texas's young line, but sitting where I sat and even those around me made the comment that Dunbar looked like he was scared. There were several times there were holes the young man could've run through but either fell or chose to run around the hole. I think this North Texas team is improving every week and I agree the O-line is not perfect but please! I think the OC is going to have to start looking at a different game plan to get the ball in the end zone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If we can get some blocking for Dunbar, we can control these games. It sound crazy right now at 4:32 a.m. on a Sunday after losing another game.

Well, first of all, ROLL TIDE, they never disappoint and being at the game was even better. But as I head back to Texas to finish the year rooting for my adopted team, I would just like to say WHAT? If you were at the game or watching the game, you had to see Dunbar lay down several times. He seemed to be getting his groove back toward the end but I don't think last night's problem was blocking for Dunbar. I realize it has to be blamed on something besides Dunbar and you can look at the Bama defense or you can blame it on North Texas's young line, but sitting where I sat and even those around me made the comment that Dunbar looked like he was scared. There were several times there were holes the young man could've run through but either fell or chose to run around the hole. I think this North Texas team is improving every week and I agree the O-line is not perfect but please! I think the OC is going to have to start looking at a different game plan to get the ball in the end zone.

Watching the game last night, I have to agree that number 5 is not himself. He was looking very timid on several carries. I hope they did not put him back on the field before he was ready. I can tell you first hand that football is hard to play with a concussion.

The toughest part of our slate is now behind us.

I was thinking the same thing by the end of the night. What a relief, though nothing will be easy going out.

If we aren't at least within 10 points of either of these next two opponents, the season is going to be tougher sledding than we most pessimistic among us could have believed.

I wouldn't go that far. It will be interesting to see how Tulsa recovers without G.J. With a week of preparation, they could be a new animal. We just don't know.

It was interesting to see last night on the Tulsa game, the listing of career QB rankings (yards). As good as Kinne is, Paul Johnson is light years ahead of everyone on that list.

Well, put me in the camp of those who think Dunbar is just not himself at this point in the season. I was surprised at how he darted around, and didn't attack the line. heck, even a 1 or two yard gain is better than taking those losses...he simply did not look like himself...espacially when you saw how or other RB's hit some holes and put up a few yards.

I KNOW Lance will hit his stride, and I know this must be tough for him. As Coach Mac said during last Monday's radio show, Lance is just now getting into football shape and getting his football legs back under him. I expect to see a much improved Lance Dunbar against Indiana, Tulsa, etc. I think we all know we can count on lance to put up some decent numbers even with a young and inexperienced line before the season ends.

Lance isn't the issue. Anyone can gash Indiana and Tulsa. South Carolina State did a fine job running against Indiana. Surely, no one on their roster is as good as runner as Dunbar - hesitant or not.

All I've said is that these next two opponents are much farther down the food chain than the three we've faced. If not posting wins, we should be able to stay within 10 or both.

Lance isn't the issue. Anyone can gash Indiana and Tulsa. South Carolina State did a fine job running against Indiana. Surely, no one on their roster is as good as runner as Dunbar - hesitant or not.

All I've said is that these next two opponents are much farther down the food chain than the three we've faced. If not posting wins, we should be able to stay within 10 or both.

Interesting, so TFLF where do we finish the season "IF" we win one of the next two games? By the way I think we have a real chance in these games, I posted something like this in another thread.