Rate of Commitments

With over 9 Commits (let's be real...there are some we don't know about) for North Texas already I dug up into Rivals to see the "Commitment Date" for previous years.

We have 8 Commits in the month of July and 1 in June. August has just arrived and it makes me wonder how many more we get before a down of football is played in our new stadium.

In going through the last 5 years on Rivals here is the list of how many Commits we had before December:

2011 = 1

2010 = 2

2009 = 3

2008 = 11 (why the decrease after 2008?) Some of those early commits were Riley Dodge, Lance Dunbar, 3* Troy Franklin, Brandon Akupunku and Jeremy Phillips (so some pretty SOLID commits)

2007 = 0

2006 = it just gets worse

Thoughts on the pluses and minuses of signing this many so early? Personally I see a HUGE upside. We get commits before others have even offered. In the case that someone has a huge year and they get a ton of offers after they have already committed to UNT we have the advantage of having been there first and establishing a trust in the player's abilities before others did.

The downside is that players could still be plucked off and we have to fill the void quickly in order to come out with somebody....and hopefully not a bottom tier player.

I trust that this staff (with so much recruiting and coaching talent) will not fall short in their objective to make this a HUGE class for North Texas and one that will be the foundation of what DMac is trying to build here. DMAC and CO. hit the trail hard....not wasting any of their summer on golf, leisure, vacations with the wife and kids for a month ...etc. In speaking with Brett Vito at the BBQ he brings up an interesting point. DMAC knows we have to recruit the VERY BEST we can this year so that in case next year's potential recruits forget that if we do not wow people this year that it isn't necessarily DMac's fault since we are not quite playing with his recruits yet (though I don't think the cupboard is bare by any means). If we do go 3-9 or God Forbid worse....players may think things are status quo around here and 2013's class could be less impressive than the 2012 commits.

I have all the faith in the world that we will look back in 5 years and say that this was the start of something special....and the emergence of both a regional football contender (of the likes of Tulsa and SMU) and the start of the first time that UNT alum and fans actually came out in force.

Goodnight....Good Luck.......and Go Mean Green.

To me it's not only when...but who?

Admittedly, I was a little disappointed at first that the earlier commits were "under the radar" players who could be stars by graduation but are not attention-getters. What seemed to change the tide was the announcement of the transfer of Cam Feldt. It was then the rate began to pickup. Tucker,a ***,decided to go ahead and commit. Trice decided that he liked the conditions here and decided to transfer. The two highly-rated transfers and the brother of an excellent TCU player really piqued the interest.

The football camps and innovations like "Friday Night Lights" are improving our esteem higher than ever. An experienced recruiting and coaching staff is also paying dividends.

There are two other things that will improve our stature (and recruiting) even more. The first is winning and the second is a better conference. I have no idea on the latter but the first begins this season.

• Upvote 1

To me it's not only when...but who?

Admittedly, I was a little disappointed at first that the earlier commits were "under the radar" players who could be stars by graduation but are not attention-getters. What seemed to change the tide was the announcement of the transfer of Cam Feldt. It was then the rate began to pickup. Tucker,a ***,decided to go ahead and commit. Trice decided that he liked the conditions here and decided to transfer. The two highly-rated transfers and the brother of an excellent TCU player really piqued the interest.

The football camps and innovations like "Friday Night Lights" are improving our esteem higher than ever. An experienced recruiting and coaching staff is also paying dividends.

There are two other things that will improve our stature (and recruiting) even more. The first is winning and the second is a better conference. I have no idea on the latter but the first begins this season.

+1

Does that include Trice and C. Feldt, or are these others that we don't know of yet?

It seems to me it must because, maybe coincidently, that total would be 11.

However, I don't believe that Cam Feldt or Trice count toward the 25 per year because they must sit out for a year. Jucos do count because they do not sit. Trice and C. Feldt will count toward the 85 maximum. They are probably taking the scholarship of undergraduates that left before completing their eligibility.

However, it's possible that either the recruiting staff or the player doesn't want some individual commitments to be known publicly at this time so the pledges could exceed the 11 that we know about.

I realize we are working on the 1212 commitments but I believe the late signing of 3*WR Kendall Washington from Mansfield, Legacy is a top commit.

NT already has a commit from WDE Malik Dilonga Cedar now listed with a late 3* rating as shown in ESPN.

I thought kendall washington was a linebacker... Different commit than the late 2011 commit?

I realize we are working on the 1212 commitments but I believe the late signing of 3*WR Kendall Washington from Mansfield, Legacy is a top commit.

NT already has a commit from WDE Malik Dilonga Cedar now listed with a late 3* rating as shown in ESPN.

OT, I love your work, but it's hard to understand what you're trying to say sometimes.

Are you saying Kendall Washington, who is listed as a LB, was a late count toward the 2011 class? And that Malik Dilonga is a 2012 kid who has recently been promoted to a 3* rating by ESPN?

If we have 11 commits so far, then to Marcus Trice and Cam Feldt count toward the 9?

OT, I love your work, but it's hard to understand what you're trying to say sometimes.

Are you saying Kendall Washington, who is listed as a LB, was a late count toward the 2011 class? And that Malik Dilonga is a 2012 kid who has recently been promoted to a 3* rating by ESPN?

If we have 11 commits so far, then to Marcus Trice and Cam Feldt count toward the 9?

Kendall Washington was a late 2011 ship. Dilonga is a 2012 commit that just recentlly was rated a 3* by ESPN. It is my understanding we have two transfers that will have to sit out a year both 2012 ships and mid term enrollments at UNT, (DB Marcus Trice transfer from OK Univ, Cam Feldt, another mid term enrollment another 2012 ships.

I show 9 known commitments (High School) plus the two mid term transfers with all 11 are 2012 ships.

Hope this helps. OldTimer

Kendall Washington was a late 2011 ship. Dilonga is a 2012 commit that just recentlly was rated a 3* by ESPN. It is my understanding we have two transfers that will have to sit out a year both 2012 ships and mid term enrollments at UNT, (DB Marcus Trice transfer from OK Univ, Cam Feldt, another mid term enrollment another 2012 ships.

I show 9 known commitments (High School) plus the two mid term transfers with all 11 are 2012 ships.

Hope this helps. OldTimer

I lost count, Rivals shows eight. Who is the commit that rivals doesn't show?

Are you saying Kendall Washington, who is listed as a LB, was a late count toward the 2011 class? And that Malik Dilonga is a 2012 kid who has recently been promoted to a 3* rating by ESPN?Kendall Washington was a late count toward the 2011 recruiting class.

We do have 11 commits...this includes the two transfers Cam Feldt and Marcus Trice and 9 known high school commits. The 9 known HS commits are:

1. RB Rex Rollins Chapell Hill,

2. WR Rodrick Lancaster Life School

3. DT Sir Calvin Wallace, chapell Hill

4. Athl Devante Davis Woodlawn HS

5. DE/MLB Jerrian Roberts, Clarksville HS

6. RB/LB 3* Andrew Tucker Chapell Hill

7. WDE 3* Malik Dilonga, Cedar Hill Trinity Chistian,

8. OLB Royce LaFrance, La HS

9. 3*Boone Feldt, Hays HS

Hope this clear.